I need help identifying vapors from Tornado engines.

bmbpdk

As title says.
The vapors arent comming form the exhaust, and nothing is mentioned in the two books i have about the Tornado.
Sorry about the quality, its cropped from a "hip-shot" photo.

Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

_BMB5547.jpg

Edited by bmbpdk
typo

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

Both cans are lit so it isn’t unburnt fuel streaming from one of them.

It isn’t dumping fuel either as that would be from top of the fin.
I’d say it’s just a Tornado at conning altitude.

Edited by garyscott

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

But shouldn the conning come from the exhaust?
Its like there are two vents of some sort 3-5 feet ahead of the exhaust.
Some sort of overpressure valves/"Unspend" compressed air?

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

5 hours ago, bmbpdk said:

But shouldn the conning come from the exhaust?
Its like there are two vents of some sort 3-5 feet ahead of the exhaust.
Some sort of overpressure valves/"Unspend" compressed air?

Didn’t look too closely the first time I’ll admit, but on second glance . . .

Yes there are a couple streamers roughly in the area of the HP dump vents from the turbofan, there are two - one for each engine.

As for the cons, they will never emit straight from the exhaust cans, the temperature needs to descend to a level where condensing happens, and due to the forward motion of the aircraft then depending on speed there will be a gap from burner can to start of condensed stream that can be anything up to well over one hundred feet.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

14 hours ago, garyscott said:

Didn’t look too closely the first time I’ll admit, but on second glance . . .

Yes there are a couple streamers roughly in the area of the HP dump vents from the turbofan, there are two - one for each engine.

As for the cons, they will never emit straight from the exhaust cans, the temperature needs to descend to a level where condensing happens, and due to the forward motion of the aircraft then depending on speed there will be a gap from burner can to start of condensed stream that can be anything up to well over one hundred feet.

Thanks for the tip on the HP dump vents.
Im used to seeing contrails and vortices and know about the "detached" contrails, roughly same physics as when boiling water.

17 hours ago, fenderplayer946 said:

CHEM TRAILS!!

No seriously... there is vents down there but they don't tend to vent much, probably a quirk of how the light is reflecting off the lower fuselage and the camera settings.

The cons are coming from the exhaust, even managed to catch a bit of wingtip vape.

LOL
I use a DSLR camera, (My trusty D7100) and i saw the vents between each shot also, TTL (Through the lens) = raw pure light and view instead of a screen that can change, so they are "real".

Yes cons only appear when they have "cooled down" as garyscott explains.