Blue Angels Livery: Add the dynamic Bordnumber to the Tail

T-O-A

Hey,

would it be possible to add the dynamic Boardnumber to the Blue Angels Livery we have already for the Hornet?

At the moment there is no number on the tail. The Tail is just blue.

Would it be possible to add the Board number to it? Of Corse one visible digit for the number. If we add "100" to the Boardnumber there is just shown the first "1" in yellow on the blue tails. Just the first digit of the boardnumber is visible on the tail like in real life.

Thanks to take a look at this topic.

Would be cool.

Blue Angels for ever

Edited by T-O-A
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would be cool to see this coming in the future.

Blue Angels without a yellow number on its tail looks "wrong"

Dynamic number on the tail would look awesome. Of course just one (the first) digit like in real life.

• Thanks 1

Wishlist: (Aircraft)

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Wishlist: (Map)

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

Wishlist: (WWII-Assets-Pack-UPDATE)

USS Arizona | USS Oklahoma | US Aircraft Carrier | Japanese Aircraft Carrier

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, no we cannot do that specifically with dynamic bort numbers. In the lua code for dynamic bort numbers, they are fixed to specific locations. The only way I know to have numbers that large and in those locations would be to have them as their own liveries, ex Blue Angel 1, Blue Angel 2,... 

If you'd want it like that, I or someone else could make it for you - if its not already made...

Edited by DDSSTT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.csg-2.net/

Is there really no way do add a dynamic fied to the tail?

Couldn't the tails set up as specific location for dynamic board numbers in the lua code, too?

How does this system with the lua code works?

Have a seperate skin with each single number isnt the best solution.

It would require the modelers to define a section of the model to use a texture file as a decal the same way the current modex numbers work. It's not something can be just coded in lua, it would require an edit of the edm.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• 2 weeks later...

BTW...

... when doing this, maybe this could be also a thing for the spain liveries.

At the moment there are multiple skins for one livery with different modex. For example four skins for the 121th escuadron livery, four skins for the 151th escuadron livery, ... and so on.

Making those modey dynamic you would have a wider modex range and need just one skin per livery. So there could some doubled skins then be deleted.

So please upgrade the edm-file also for spain modex.

Would really really love to see the dynamic bright yellow tailnumbers on the blue angels coming soon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 6:56 PM, T-O-A said:

Have a seperate skin with each single number isnt the best solution.

How is it not? It's probably the easiest thing to do. Download it and go, problem solved!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

The model would have to have special selection on the tail surface and the livery description.lua reference that selection as a destination for the bort number data. The primary issue is that the author of the edm did not make a named selection on the model appropriate for the Blue Angels markings.

There's not a huge problem with making all 8 skins "hard baked" as different numbers as the tail texture (~10mb) is the only one unique to each livery. In fact if ED made a separate unwrap area for everything but the tail and the tail then the duplication would be small. But at that point why not just make part of the bort.

On 4/1/2021 at 12:07 PM, Frederf said:

Nope, not an individual thing. Using more memory uses more memory.

Only if it is yours or someone else. As I said, I have loads of memory and more liveries than I can count, which makes it an individual rig thing! I'm guessing the OP is due for an upgrade!

1 hour ago, Jackjack171 said:

more liveries than I can count

They only take memory if they are used in the mission, just having them installed doesnt use any memory.

Also, the topic isnt "its impossible", the topic is "its inferior technical solution". One uses more memory than the other one, despite providing the same exact function. Its preferable to pick a superior solution over an inferior solution. 😉

Also the location would be handy in other custom liveries.

1 hour ago, Jackjack171 said:

OP is due for an upgrade!

Hornet in Syria with a decent mission takes 34 GiB of virtual memory on my PC. No, I will not upgrade!

On 1/20/2021 at 3:56 AM, T-O-A said:

How does this system with the lua code works?

The locations are unchangeable, defined in the model file. The livery Lua file can only specify which digits on which of the predefined locations are to be used, possibly with a custom font texture. But you cant add the locations.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

On 4/6/2021 at 4:00 PM, dorianR666 said:

They only take memory if they are used in the mission, just having them installed doesnt use any memory.

Also, the topic isnt "its impossible", the topic is "its inferior technical solution". One uses more memory than the other one, despite providing the same exact function. Its preferable to pick a superior solution over an inferior solution. 😉

Also the location would be handy in other custom liveries.

Hornet in Syria with a decent mission takes 34 GiB of virtual memory on my PC. No, I will not upgrade!

The locations are unchangeable, defined in the model file. The livery Lua file can only specify which digits on which of the predefined locations are to be used, possibly with a custom font texture. But you cant add the locations.

Okay my guy. What Rig are you running? My point was, it's your (or whoever's) rig, not mine! The problems you have seem isolated to only a couple of guys. I guess ED has a lot of work to do so the Bort numbers will be an ever long thing. The solution only seems to be inferior if you let it be, but it is a solution! Good luck bro!

13 minutes ago, Jackjack171 said:

The solution only seems to be inferior if you let it be

it is objective reality of technical properties of those solutions.

it isnt a personal opinion.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

• 10 months later...

Any update on this?

@BIGNEWY

Wishlist: (Aircraft)

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Wishlist: (Map)

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

Wishlist: (WWII-Assets-Pack-UPDATE)

USS Arizona | USS Oklahoma | US Aircraft Carrier | Japanese Aircraft Carrier