L-39ZA... cannot move, seems like it's stuck with the parking brake

taichihass

Hi Guys,

I've been practicing the L-39 via the Kursant campaign for a while. My PC bombed out, so I took a few months off... Now, back to give this another go and I'm  not sure if I'm missing something or what but I cannot get the thing to move.

I've fired up the engine, taken the parking break off (below the black flag)... and the wheel brake is not pressed.

Despite turning the throttle up, the plane will not move. Am I missing something?

I'm using the Open Beta.

Thanks in advanance.

Hey there.

Three things come to my mind:

1. Try bringing back the parking brake lever even more. Sometimes it looks like it has cleared the black flag but needs a bit more.
  2. If you have bound the brakes to an axis (e.g. rudder pedals), try reversing the axis in the axis settings. This is sometimes necessary.
  3. See if there are no wheel chocks placed. To make sure, go to the communication menu and contact the ground crew.

Hope that helps!

Hi @Hogges,

Thanks for coming back to me.

This is a bit of a weird one. It works fine if I start the plane from a quick mission. If I start it from the Kursant campaign, this issue is happening.

I removed the chocks. There is no axis binded to the brakes... just the w key/pinky finger.

I moved the parking brake in increments, but to no avail. It's like the front wheel locked back at an angle. 

I'm not sure if this is a bug relating to their recent update where the plane defaults to the parking position. Is this a Beta release issue? Should I even be using the Beta if I am still learning?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by taichihass

I am sadly not aware of any bugs related to this currently.

But what you said about the front wheel being locked at an angle gave me another idea.

It is important to understand that the L-39, like other Soviet jets, has a free castering nosewheel that is neither steered nor braked and utilizes differential braking in the main wheels for steering. So if you pull the brake lever, you have to use your rudders to brake the side you want to steer towards on the ground. Left pedal plus brake to go left and right pedal plus brake to go right. If the nosewheel is at an angle, it can be that you need to add quite a bit of thrust and some differential braking to get the plane moving. Could thus be that you need a bit more power and force to straighten out the front wheel.

Regarding the Beta: I would say it is widely accepted in the community that there is not that much of a difference between the two versions. Stable gets an update once a Beta release is deemed stable enough for it. That does not necessarily mean that it is completely bug free. Since Beta receives updates earlier and most of the multiplayer servers are using it as well, a large percentage of the community seems to be using it. The drawback is of course that there might be more issues. I would advise you to form your own opinion on this as there is a lot of discussion within this forum and elsewhere on this topic. Personally, I am using the Beta as well. It is also quite simple to switch to the Stable release for a while, should there be a complete show-stopper present. Here is a guide on how to switch versions: Click

Let's hope that more power and some brute force is your answer for this issue 🙂

Hello mate,

I've tried full thrust... and still doesn't work (even with the wheel facing straight).

I thought maybe it's because of the beta version. I installed the stable version, now the cockpit is showing weird graphics in the dials. I did see this mentioned in another post... lol, I won't give up!

Ah, I've been told that the "instructor" has his foot on the brakes until you do what he says! 🤪

Once you set the course indicator to 39 degrees as he asks, he releases the brakes, and everything is as normal.

Edited by taichihass
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 11:55 PM, taichihass said:

Ah, I've been told that the "instructor" has his foot on the brakes until you do what he says! 🤪

Once you set the course indicator to 39 degrees as he asks, he releases the brakes, and everything is as normal.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• 9 months later...

Same here, happens in instant action and cold start. So how do you communicate with this "instructor", how do you take over the command? Although the brake pressure indicator shows not such readings that somebody would stand on the brakes.

Edited by iwn

Okay, misunderstood the red tipped wheel brake position and set it far aft which is emerg. braking. I taxied.

I think that the manual is quite sketchy. Blow the canopy off when trying to follow the checklist...

• 1 year later...
On 12/20/2020 at 11:49 PM, taichihass said:

Hello mate,

I've tried full thrust... and still doesn't work (even with the wheel facing straight).

I thought maybe it's because of the beta version. I installed the stable version, now the cockpit is showing weird graphics in the dials. I did see this mentioned in another post... lol, I won't give up!

I'm getting this problem now....2 years later

8 minutes ago, dogsbody59 said:

I'm getting this problem now....2 years later

Have you made sure that:

Full throttle is indeed being applied

Parking brake is verified off

no switch or lever assigned to the wheel brakes 

Wheel brakes indeed not being applied

You are not stuck in the grass

If all seems to be good, upload a track so we can make sure aswell.

Edited by razo+r

I've tested this in Kursant campaign mission one - and indeed, if I don't set RMI the plane is glued to the apron. I have no idea how he (IP) does it, because if he was on the brakes, the gauges in my cockpit should show it. He has no parking brake, so I hope he doesn't use emergency brake - which I believe is not to be used normally.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube