VR scene environment can affect game rendering after going to/from F10 map

mrprime

This is more of an oddity and (to my knowledge) can only be hit by fiddling with .lua files, but it's an oddity that suggests to me that something's not quite right. Also this behaviour is quite recent, not sure exactly when as I've only recently gotten back in to VR but it wasn't an issue 6 months ago when I was last active.

I don't like the default VR hanger so I removed all the geometry in the lua file, which just gives an empty sky box. The VR hanger is used as the background when doing the F10 map. When I go back to game from the F10 map, lighting effects from the hanger continue to be visible.

This is most noticeable at night, but also during the day (I thought it was some new visor effect initially!)

First screenshot: In game, everything as it should be.

DCS 2020-12-21 12-39-54.png

Second screenshot, F10 map with my minimalist background

DCS 2020-12-21 12-40-03.png

Third screenshot, returned to game after being in F10 map - lights from the environment persist

DCS 2020-12-21 12-40-11.png

To reproduce this issue:

1. Download 'sceneVR.lua' to your DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\DemoScenes folder
  2. Open DCS in VR 
  3. Go in to any mission (ideally a night mission where this is most obvious)
  4. Hit F10 to bring up the map
  5. Hit F1 to return to pilot position

>> Graphical effects from the VR environment continue to be visible 

Obviously the solution here is to not mess with the default VR environment, but it seems odd that effects in that environment aren't being cleared up when switching from F1/F10 so I wonder if that is causing other, more subtle issues.

sceneVR.lua

• Like 1

great!

could You please modify the background to total black?   F10 Normady still sucks, as the forest is pale against sky, see the screenshot

obrazek.png

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

Sorry I'm not sure how, I removed all the assets and that just leaves a skybox by default. I wouldn't recommend making the change considering the bug it produces currently, but I'd be all in favour for a 'blank' VR environment if anyone else knows how.

ouh, thats pity I was relying on You..😀 

just for info: I was blindly experimenting with all figures remaining in your sceneVR.lua version with intention to point camera toward ground to get dark water as background, but no success. 😞

Edited by wju

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

• 3 weeks later...

I had exactly this problem in one of the Raven One  Missions (super campaign), my "fix" was just to revert back for that mission, it was also a night time mission 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

you could try this, i deleted all models and removed the background. For the few minutes of testing it looks like complete black:

DCSWorld\Scripts\DemoScenes\sceneVR.lua

package.path = package.path ..';./Scripts/DemoScenes/?.lua;'
local sceneEnvironment = require("demosceneEnvironment")

scene = {} -- сюда кладем все созданные объекты

function loadScene(scenePtr)
    sceneAPI = sceneEnvironment.getInterface(scenePtr)
    sceneAPI:setUpdateFunc('sceneVRUpdate')
    sceneAPI:setSun(math.rad(-90), math.rad(0)) -- сажаем солнце за горизонт чтоб не светило

local cam_level = 1.8

scene.cam        = sceneAPI:addCamera(3, cam_level , 3)
    scene.cam:setFarClip(1000.0)
    scene.cam:setFov(90)
    scene.cam.transform:lookAtPoint(-10.0, cam_level, 0);
    scene.cam:setActive()
end

--[0;1]
local function pingpong(length, t)
    local tt = (t%length)*2/length
    if tt>1 then tt = 2-tt end
    return tt
end

function sceneVRUpdate(t, dt)

end

sceneVR.lua

• Thanks 2

• 9 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 9:04 PM, Jharvis said:

you could try this, i deleted all models and removed the background. For the few minutes of testing it looks like complete black:

DCSWorld\Scripts\DemoScenes\sceneVR.lua

sceneVR.lua 783 B · 115 downloads

thanks for sharing - I am maybe a bit late to reply, but I had found my own solution before You have posted your scene. Yours is more simple, than mine, as I use empty dds file.

So, in accord of Occam's razor, yours is better. 👍

• 1 month later...

Thanks i was developing the same solution, added this to the VR loading screen mod.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/de/files/3319867/

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled