Best module for guns fight?

evilnate

First of all, let's see if this entire thread can go this distance without needing moderators to remind us about the forums rules and regs. 🙂

In your opinion, which module is the absolute king in 1v1 gun fight and why?

Think street fight. The only G limit is how well the wings are attached to the fuselage.

Besides, heavy aircraft such as F15 or SU27 has more power and fuel ,so that you can choose whether join the dog fight or get away from that .

By the way,TOMCAT is really a good gun fighter but the shocking cockpit and terrible HUD always make me miss the best shot. If there is a F14D,it must on my list

The dream of sky

So far looks like the answer is "my own ride is the best gunfighter ever". 🙂 Which is to be expected when you ask that kind of question to a bunch of fighter pilots. 🙂

I mostly fly against AI, but I found the F-16 and F-18 to be great at this, for different reasons. Be aware that the Viper currently has some bugs in the FM. MiG-29S is also great, and the upcoming full fidelity MiG-29A should be even better (I haven't flown the FC3 MiG-29A so I don't really know, only the S). Both the F-18 and MiG-29 have excellent high alpha capabilities, which translates to both being able to point their noses really well, and the ability to stand on their tails and make the other guy overshoot. The Viper, meanwhile, has such high T/W that it only needs to unload for a few moments to regain all the energy it had just used up for turning, not to mention it can pull 9G when it needs to.

@evilnate

There is no ''one is best''. Different aircraft play to different styles of fighting. For example F-18 vs F-16 both are comparable in overall effectiveness, but have very different styles of fighting. How effective they are will depend on how effectively you fly to their strengths.

The average AirQuake player only knows how to pull the stick as far as it will go, so planes like the F-18 are popular because A. that kind of slow speed high AoA fighting is its strength and B. the FBW provides a lot of idiot proofing that allows even the most crude neanderthal behind the stick to be at least moderately effective. Regardless, what aircraft will be ''best'' quite literally depends on you personal preferences, experience level, and style of combat. The one that suits you best, will, for you, be the ''best''. An F-16 for example will be a poor choice if you don't know how to or suck at energy fighting.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I just want to stand up for the eagle a bit, if you know what your doing its one of the best (minimum top 3) if not the best dogfighter. The eagle does almost everything excellently and at a minimum well. It will outrate the viper, especially above 15k ft. altitude. While not Jeff or F14 (with flaps) levels of rate it will maintain a good rate for its class from sea level up until its one of the best at high altitude. It is one of the best vertical fighters, often called the "space shuttle" by a group I dogfight with. Alpha/nose pointability wise its good, while it can't pull as much alpha as the F18 it can still get up to 33deg and remain stable and easy to point. It can also use differential thrust (moving one throttle up or down not both) to really screw with you in one circle fights as well. Also acceleration wise (F16VF15), according to the manuals for 10k feet level acceleration:

*100% fuel and clean

The F16 will take ~29 sec to go from M.36 to M1.0 (200kts KCAS to 560kts)

The F15 will take ~22sec to go from M.45 to M1.0 (250kts KCAS to 560kts)

Against the mirage its easy to outrate it and outclimb it. If they go for high alpha their going to nuke their speed (an issue of every delta) and you just point your nose up and then come around on them in the vertical. Worst part about the mirage though (from my perspective) seems to be the guns. Poor velocity, no upward angle, limited ammo, awful gunsight.

Edited by nighthawk2174

Whatever module you can fly your best plane with.  For me, I'd say F-14B, but that's because I chunk the most time into it; I own every single fixed-wing plane, so I have points of reference.  Sometimes I'll flame a Mirage or a Viper or a Hornet, other times I'm riding the silk down against the same.

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

• 1 month later...

Theoretically it should be the F-16 according to RL pilots. But we have ground attack variant, some half ton heavier than fighter variant block 30.

That's why F/A-18C is currently the best, look at DCS guns only tournaments.

F-14B, MiG-29A, F-15C, Su-27S, Mirage 2000 are all also very capable in good hands and all can prevail.

Edited by bies

Hmm,

top tier: F-15C/Su-27/SU-33

Mid: F-16C

Mid-Low:F-18C

The Hornet's biggest strengths are it's HMD, how it doesn't punish slow speed flight as much, and high alpha.

fuel and cannon capacity feels a little low though.

The 16C can fight at full til 9g as long as the pilot and the fuel can hold out. But it's go one of the smaller fuel tanks, and it needs speed to win.

The 15C and the 27/33 pair give you a nice balance of fuel and cannon supply, with good thrust to actually fight on your terms.

In RL, I'd guess it's going to be the 16C at the top, and in the sim, I'd bet on the Hornet making a ton of bad pilots look good, and lots of good pilots great= just by absorbing some of those small mistakes.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

21 hours ago, AegisFX said:

In RL, I'd guess it's going to be the 16C at the top, and in the sim, I'd bet on the Hornet making a ton of bad pilots look good, and lots of good pilots great= just by absorbing some of those small mistakes.

that is a very interesting perspective and reminds me of something I heard in passing long ago about the difference between the non-FBW jets and later jets, the FBW jets make an average pilot good but they turn a great pilot good too...the pure mechanical jets don't make up for an average pilot but they let a great pilot really shine

• 2 years later...

Using the graphs from this topic

It turned out to be quite an interesting picture.

1) For modules from ED in the DCS world, with such a scheme, the turn is not impressive. F-15 (21556 kgf), F-16 (13220 kgf), Su-27 (25000 kgf) and MiG-29 (16600 kgf) outsiders, the F-18 (16050 kgf) is still somehow competitive and saves them in virtual battles only high thrust-to-weight ratio. At the same time, it should be noted that in the F-15, F-16 and MiG-29 you can’t fill up the required fuel weight according to the table, therefore the turn in the graph is even a little overestimated, but the overall picture is clear.

2) Despite the insufficient thrust-to-weight ratio, the developers approached the F-14B (25000 kgf) and JF-17 (9000 kgf) more seriously and squeezed more juice out of the airframe.

3) In the afterburner, a dead Snecma M53-P2 gives out a modest 9700 kgf, but the delta wing of the Mirage is simply magical and leaves no chance for opponents, the work of Razbam is magnificent.

4) F-14A flies on another planet, it seems, and only its overweight glider saves competitors in the DCS world, although I could fly with TF-30 thrust like 9500 in afterburner, and F110-12500 kgf.

According to the characteristics of engines from the Internet, of course, there are questions, but the picture is fundamentally different.

Conclusion: we are urgently buying the F-15E, it won’t blow up and the needle will understand the aerodynamics properly, while I really hope that they will also approach the MiG-23 thoroughly, especially since their MiG-19 in Cold War normally winds up all sorts of F-5 and Ajs.Вираж СБА DCS.png

"Пользуясь графиками из этой темы для интереса сравнил вираж СБА при тяговооруженности 1 к 1.

Получилась довольно таки интересная картина.

1) У модулей от ED в мире DCS при такой схеме вираж не впечатляет т.к. F-15(21556 кгс), F-16(13220 кгс), Су-27(25000 кгс) и Миг-29(16600 кгс) аутсайдеры, еще как то конкурентноспособен F-18(16050 кгс) и их спасает в виртуальных боях только высокая тяговооруженность. При этом стоит отметить, что в F-15, F-16 и Миг-29 до необходимого веса топлива по таблице не зальешь поэтому и вираж в графике даже немного завышен, но общая картина понятна.

2) К F-14B(25000 кгс) и JF-17(9000 кгс) несмотря на недостаточную тяговооруженность разработчики подошли более серьезно и выжали с планера больше соков.

3) На форсаже дохлый Snecma M53-P2 при выдает скромные 9700 кгс, но треугольное крыло Миража просто волшебное и не оставляет шанса противникам, работа Razbam великолепна.

4) F-14A летает на другой планете кажись и только его перетяжеленный планер спасает конкурентов в мире DCS, хотя можь я пролетел с тягой у TF-30 вроде 9500 на форсаже, а F110-12500 кгс.

По характеристикам двигателей из интернета конечно есть вопросы, но крдинально картина врят ли отличается.

Вывод: срочно закупаем F-15E, разбам не кинет и как следует разберется в аэродинамике игла, при этом очень надеюсь что к Миг-23 они подойдут также основательно тем более их Миг-19 в Cold War нормально всякие F-5 и Ajs накручивает". 

Edited by Vyacheslav