ThrustMaster FA-18C grip issues

GeneralDynamics

I decided to return this F/A-18 grip Amazon Dealer ARF Tech for a full refund because of the weapon forward switch not returning to center, I maybe could of lived with it but it's to damn expensive to do so and not up to Thrustmaster quility. I will sneak a note in the box that the switch is a defect just in case they try to re-sale without repairing. I'll try again alittle later as I don't need this stick that bad. Not quit sure if its a certain batch of serial numbers that had that bad switches. Oh will ... carry on.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Add me on to the list of WSS sticking switches. I'm giving them one more chance with a replacement because all my virtual squadron mates have fully functional ones.

If the new one is not working as well, I will ask for a refund.

Now on the Amazon issue, they sell used and refunded hardware but not as new, they have their own "second hand, almost new" section. Mine came sealed in its own cardboard box and the plastic bags were factory new (no scratches or folds) so I doubt it was a returned one. 

I'm afraid because it seems it is a general issue with more than a year of history and still not fixed, but we will see.

I will keep you updated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I got my replacement today and guess what? Now it is the SSS the one sticking.

My opinion is that they have some batches of defective 5 way switches but they carried on anyway because it is more expensive to just recall the ones that are bad or maybe it is random.

I asked for a refund. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. There will be no third time.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have finally replaced the WSS switch the second time, now it finally works. On a stick I bought two months ago... 

I have a theory that the 5-way switches are failing now because it is winter. 😄

Inside there aren't standard 6x6x5mm 4-Pin DIP Through Hole Momentary Tactile Push Button Switch as in Watthog stick - they are thinner (3 mm?), and have long rubber knob portion. And in directions that switches were malfunctioning these rubber knobs were half broken, in the upwards direction. 

And these long rubber shafts could become brittle in low temperatures.  And you can easily damage them, especially if you try to use the stick while cold... 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bwaze said:

I have finally replaced the WSS switch the second time, now it finally works. On a stick I bought two months ago... 

I have a theory that the 5-way switches are failing now because it is winter. 😄

Inside there aren't standard 6x6x5mm 4-Pin DIP Through Hole Momentary Tactile Push Button Switch as in Watthog stick - they are thinner (3 mm?), and have long rubber knob portion. And in directions that switches were malfunctioning these rubber knobs were half broken, in the upwards direction. 

And these long rubber shafts could become brittle in low temperatures.  And you can easily damage them, especially if you try to use the stick while cold... 

Could be, but I'm in a Spain coast city were "cold weather" means AVG 15 degrees...

Whatever, I'm sticking (pun intended) to my old warthog stick. I already got my refund. Amazon is top for these things.

Edited by Eviscerador

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster gave me their eshop site. If I chose to try this again it will be straight from Thrustmaster, although yes it’s still not  a guaranteed 100% working product but still. I got my Amazon refund back but still had to eat the taxes like $40ish bucks.

https://eshop.thrustmaster.com/

The price is we’re it’s suppose to be.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

• 5 months later...

Just received an F/A-18 stick and have a sticking WSS and SSS.

Amazon have already sent out a replacement, good to know I'm not the only one but it seems ridiculous that this issue has carried on for so long.

Yup it’s a hit and miss on these F18 grips. After the 3rd one I said oh what the heck and kept it even if the 9 o’clock/left senor control position has a slight no return. But I use that as my weapon control. And weapon control as my sensor control … less travel for the thumb. I mainly just do BFM. Now the viper switches are unbeatable, the best in the market imo

Update  My sensor control switch does not stick in the 9 o’clock position now. Working like a champ.

Edited by Burt

Start Date April 2020 

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible its correct operation will return after some exercise?

On 7/8/2022 at 6:15 PM, Burt said:

Update  My sensor control switch does not stick in the 9 o’clock position now. Working like a champ.

What happened to yours? 

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

55 minutes ago, SGT Coyle said:

Is it possible its correct operation will return after some exercise?

What happened to yours? 

Well I guess it fixed itself with use. It was my Sensor Control at 9 o’clock that was sticking. I use the original SC switch for my weapons and weapon/thumb for my sensor control, less travel for the thumb to lock and switch displays ect. The 9 o’clock position really doesn’t get used a lot as I have up for guns right for sidewinders and down for amrams so left I programmed for sparrows which are hardly used in the Hornet… for me. Now I can get it to stick but now it’s hard to do so and not like when I first got it out the box I had to force off the 9 o’clock position. And like I said before this is my 3rd F18 grip attempt and decided to keep it. The switch will loosen up through with alot of play. I got mine from the Thrustmaster eshop/us and I think it has a 1 year warranty so we’ll see how it goes from here. I do not recommend buying from an Amazon dealer. But as can see if really doesn’t make a deference it’s a hit and miss with these grips. But man I love this thing !

Good Luck

“ If you ain’t Oradance you ain’t sht “

LOL …Love it !

Edited by Burt

Start Date April 2020 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, mpsteidle said:

Welp the third one from Amazon seems to be in good shape and functional.  Jeesh.

LOL right ! Your gonna love that stick !

Start Date April 2020