RECORDING VIDEO

TWISTER312

Hi guys.

Perhaps this question already has been asked in another topic, but I can't find it right now.

So, here it is:

To record some fragments during our flights I am using Windows Moviemaker.

To start this software the keyboard combination LWIN + ALT +G is used.

To start and stop the recording the combination LWIN + ALT +R is used.

You will understand that you are quite busy during the flight and you are unable to put your fingers on the keyboard, right?

That's where the hotas Warthog is for!

Question: Is there a knob on the  Thrustmaster Warthog that can be configured to be used as start/stop for video recording?

(I am aware of the replay-possibility in DCS, but that's not what I mean).

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by TWISTER312

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You could de-select any button on your stick in DCS > options you want to use for recording.
Be sure it's a button which is not used for important DCS-stuff.
If you have a tool (e.g.  T.a.r.g.e.t.) for your youstick put your LWIN + ALT +G in that tool at the wanted recording button you've just choosen to use for recording
You could also try JoyToKey-Tool which provides this.

You know that you can save your track after your flight and render that track in finest quality as a video?
While track recording you can also change the views while recording by clicking the standard view-buttons as F1, F2, etc.

Edited by Purzel

• 4 weeks later...

There is one more tip which you can try and even might like it - do you know that Mission Editor allows to render the recorded tracks in High-Res settings with all the fancy video features turned on?

Instead of switching video recording during the intense sequence, just focus on the mission and then save the track.

Then, while in the replay mode, create a different versions of the track while focusing on the camera work this time. You can make as many different derivative tracks as you want. 

You can even take control and re-record a certain part! You can re-record the same track again and again with different camera views, and then re-render them later to you liking. Just remember to save them in a separate file each time you do so. Do not overwrite the master copy unintentionally.

So, if you have a recording which works well, you can re-render it in many different takes, almost like in real movie studio with all the fancy video features turned on. It might take a while to render, but it will be movie quality stuff.

If would be fantastic but NOW the real problem -- it is that TRK recordings do not work well on long and intensive missions in my opinion. Only short sequences will work as expected. Complex engagements will most certainly not work as intended.   Hope DCS will fix that mission recording bug soon...

22 hours ago, wfox said:

There is one more tip which you can try and even might like it - do you know that Mission Editor allows to render the recorded tracks in High-Res settings with all the fancy video features turned on?

Instead of switching video recording during the intense sequence, just focus on the mission and then save the track.

Then, while in the replay mode, create a different versions of the track while focusing on the camera work this time. You can make as many different derivative tracks as you want. 

You can even take control and re-record a certain part! You can re-record the same track again and again with different camera views, and then re-render them later to you liking. Just remember to save them in a separate file each time you do so. Do not overwrite the master copy unintentionally.

So, if you have a recording which works well, you can re-render it in many different takes, almost like in real movie studio with all the fancy video features turned on. It might take a while to render, but it will be movie quality stuff.

If would be fantastic but NOW the real problem -- it is that TRK recordings do not work well on long and intensive missions in my opinion. Only short sequences will work as expected. Complex engagements will most certainly not work as intended.   Hope DCS will fix that mission recording bug soon...

Hi WFOX, thanks a lot for your input. We will try out your option to use the mission editor for sure, but our experience is that the track option (replay) works fine, also on long flights (3 hours tested). After the flight, we use the replay function for the debriefing and for editing the recorded track (of parts of it). Movies are looking great! However: in my directory ..../saved games/DCS I find the map tracks, and one of my fellow-pilots doesn't have that map. How come?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 1/25/2021 at 1:57 PM, TWISTER312 said:

Hi WFOX, thanks a lot for your input. We will try out your option to use the mission editor for sure, but our experience is that the track option (replay) works fine, also on long flights (3 hours tested). After the flight, we use the replay function for the debriefing and for editing the recorded track (of parts of it). Movies are looking great! However: in my directory ..../saved games/DCS I find the map tracks, and one of my fellow-pilots doesn't have that map. How come?

Glad to hear that your tracks are fine. I found in my cases that ground missions are rarely recorded correctly. I will open a case with DCS.  

About the movie rendering in Mission Editor - the main benefit is that you can render them with higher settings, which would otherwise will have too low FPS. For example you can turn on all effects and render in 4K with MSA 8, SSA and all bells and all settings to 100%. I think this is what DCS is doing when rendering their promo videos. 

About the map issue - I have no idea why your friend can not find the map. The only potential issue could be that your friend should own exactly the same map. For example Caucasus map is common, but Nevada or any other map have to be bought, otherwise they will not be available even in the TRK recordings.

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2021 at 3:10 PM, wfox said:

Where exactly is that export video option located? Does it record in say, 60fps mp4 ready to import to Premiere Pro or directly to youtube?

...10 years with dcs...