FPS normal for my setup?

Hi,

First post and already starting with a question that must have been asked about 1000 times, but I can't really find an answer so...

I build a PC, bought a HOTAS, Pedals, TrackIR and a Playseat just to start flying in DCS. Normal stuff so far 😁.

So I am learning for a month now in the Spitfire and I'm constantly tinkering with the settings to get a smooth experience.

It is looking good but when I switch to outside camera (F2) all objects except for the aircraft itself seem to be stuttering somewhat.

During flight in cockpit I didn't notice this but maybe I'm too concentrated to not stall, blackout, kill the engine or crash in all possible ways...

If I'm lowering the resolution it's smooth, but the graphics aren't that good anymore. I suppose this is due to the pixels "increasing in size". Sorry for the bad explanation, English isn't my native language 😐

My question is: Does the framerate of around 50-60fps seem normal for my PC?

I have MSAA and SSAA Off.

Anisotropic filtering 16x

No motion blur, depth of field or lens effects.

Heat blur and civilian traffic low, Shadows medium.

Screen is a 4k Television. Resolution is at 3840x2160.

Specs:

Ryzen 3600 at 4,2MHz

MSI Tomahawk MAX

Samsung EVO 970 plus (only OS and DCS is installed)

16GB Ripjaws @ 3200MHz

2 x 500GB SATAII HDD

Gigabyte RTX2070 Windforce 2x 8GB

I have nothing to compare this with, since I don't know anyone in my area who plays DCS...

What does one have to build to set everything on max, I'm just curious.

I found a solution and the proper description of the problem 😎 if anybody encounters the same phenomenon. 

What I experienced was "tearing" due to the limiation of my TV, being able to deliver only 30Hz refresh rate above 1920 resolution and the NVidia settings delivering over 50fps. At 1920x1080 monitor resoution I can get 60Hz. I set the VSync option on NVidia to "fast" allowing more than 60fps and only dropping frames if tearing would occur (or something similar, I'm no expert in these things). 

So now I have about 60-70fps which is nice and smooth. I still have pretty much all AntiAliasing mechanisms turned off, I will try to play with these settings now and hope to stay above 60fps... 

Edited by Steda

On 12/22/2020 at 11:18 AM, Steda said:

Hi,

First post and already starting with a question that must have been asked about 1000 times, but I can't really find an answer so...

I build a PC, bought a HOTAS, Pedals, TrackIR and a Playseat just to start flying in DCS. Normal stuff so far 😁.

So I am learning for a month now in the Spitfire and I'm constantly tinkering with the settings to get a smooth experience.

It is looking good but when I switch to outside camera (F2) all objects except for the aircraft itself seem to be stuttering somewhat.

During flight in cockpit I didn't notice this but maybe I'm too concentrated to not stall, blackout, kill the engine or crash in all possible ways...

If I'm lowering the resolution it's smooth, but the graphics aren't that good anymore. I suppose this is due to the pixels "increasing in size". Sorry for the bad explanation, English isn't my native language 😐

My question is: Does the framerate of around 50-60fps seem normal for my PC?

I have MSAA and SSAA Off.

Anisotropic filtering 16x

No motion blur, depth of field or lens effects.

Heat blur and civilian traffic low, Shadows medium.

Screen is a 4k Television. Resolution is at 3840x2160.

Specs:

Ryzen 3600 at 4,2MHz

MSI Tomahawk MAX

Samsung EVO 970 plus (only OS and DCS is installed)

16GB Ripjaws @ 3200MHz

2 x 500GB SATAII HDD

Gigabyte RTX2070 Windforce 2x 8GB

I have nothing to compare this with, since I don't know anyone in my area who plays DCS...

What does one have to build to set everything on max, I'm just curious.

Your MSI Tomahawk MAX has one M2 sockest that can take an SSDs running at anything from 3,500 MB/sec, compared to a SATA limited to 530/500 MB/s.

You would loose two SATA ports but you can replace those by a larger capacity and much faster M2 SSD. Mine is a 500GB, I run DCS World and DCS Open Beta plus page files on it.

Page files size are: Min 32768Mb Max 49152Mb on D drive, with Min 16Mb Max 16Mb on C drive for 32 GB or RAM.

Install DCS and set your page files on this Socket M2 SSD, both will run a lot faster.

Change your actual RAM for a 2 X 16GB Cl16 3200 RAM, without twicking it is what runs the fastest with the Ryzen 5 3600.

Just adding the RAM to what you already have might or not work, since manufacturers uses different chips with different integrated circuit (IC) from a batch to another. If you're unlucky it will be slower and you might encounter other issues as well.

Alternatively if you find out which IC your RAM has and get the same from the same batch it's also OK.

Your GPU can be O.C without risks using Afterburner.

Even with the Ryzen 5 3600, GPU can become the problem in DCS because the game is inherently GPU hungry.

Yours is faster than my 1080Ti so it helps but using Afterburner is always going to give you this little bit extra performances.

Set ups in NVIDIA Control Panel can have a positive effect as well, sometimes they are more efficient than the game settings, it's up to you to try and test them to figure the best options for you.  

My tip:

SSD 970 EVO Plus

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Thank You Thinder for all those tips.

I have a M.2 SSD (Samsung EVO 970 Plus 500GB) but haven't set a pagefile on it. I'll try that.

Will look at the Afterburner also.

For the moment I'm quite happy with the settings I have right now.

I even got my monitor set up for max resolution on 60Hz. I'm staying above 60 fps until now, but I'm desperately trying to land some hits on a BF109, which just seems impossible to do at the moment. It is hard 🥴