Use in MP with SRS

Oldfox

Hi, just tried online for the first time and no luck: impossible to talk to others.

When using the push to talk binding (same in SRS and VAICOM) nothing happens on SRS, the little radio button stays yellow and never goes green as it should when emitting.

Tried lot of different configurations but nothing worked so far.  I'm trying to use "broadcast parrallel" so it just emits when I'm pressing the button but... nothing.

Is there a particular order to start SRS and VAICOM?

Thanks for the help!

Does SRS work for you in the F-14 when VoiceAttack is not running? It sounds more like an SRS problem than a VAICOMPRO problem if it works in some modules but not others.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

When using Integration with SRS when you first press the corresponding PTT if there is an AI entity on that same frequency VAICOM will inhibit SRS transition until: 1- you speak a valid AI command/ transmition. 2 - You speak the command "Swith". If there are no AI's listening it allows you to speak on SRS straight away.

I had the same effect not desirable here is what I did..... First I have the Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas so I mapped the 4 way hat switch with push button on the throttle by the thumb position 
Up = VA Tx 1
Down = VA Tx 2
Left = SRS Channel 1
Right = SRS Channel 2
Push hat switch in = Intercom

Yes everything is separate But this gives me the ability to talk to AI and players in a multiplayer server at the same time or talk to AI only or SRS Only.

Example: I make a call to VA say to change a radio channel or using AIRIO command in the F14 using VA other multiplayers will not hear my transmission to VA

Hope it helps🖖

On 12/22/2020 at 9:36 PM, lxsapper said:

When using Integration with SRS when you first press the corresponding PTT if there is an AI entity on that same frequency VAICOM will inhibit SRS transition until: 1- you speak a valid AI command/ transmition. 2 - You speak the command "Swith". If there are no AI's listening it allows you to speak on SRS straight away.

I was not using switch command but is this required when configured in mode "broadcast parrallel" ?

For now I got it working by selecting in SRS: "Allways allow SRS hotkey".  Still that sounds more as a hack to me isn't it?

On 1/1/2021 at 2:33 PM, Oldfox said:

I was not using switch command but is this required when configured in mode "broadcast parrallel" ?

No it's not. Apologies,  I didn't pay close enough atention to all that you explained before.

On 1/1/2021 at 2:33 PM, Oldfox said:

For now I got it working by selecting in SRS: "Allways allow SRS hotkey".  Still that sounds more as a hack to me isn't it?

Not really but it sounds like you may want to check your F-14 special options inside DCS. The F-14 allows for some direct control of SRS with ingame PTTs, I don't care for it so I set the PTTs in special option to "Default", that way I keep "Allways allow SRS hotkeys" and "Allow DCS INCOCKPIT conttrolled PPT" both to OFF.

• 9 months later...
On 12/24/2020 at 10:48 PM, FroZone said:

I had the same effect not desirable here is what I did..... First I have the Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas so I mapped the 4 way hat switch with push button on the throttle by the thumb position 
Up = VA Tx 1
Down = VA Tx 2
Left = SRS Channel 1
Right = SRS Channel 2
Push hat switch in = Intercom

Yes everything is separate But this gives me the ability to talk to AI and players in a multiplayer server at the same time or talk to AI only or SRS Only.

Example: I make a call to VA say to change a radio channel or using AIRIO command in the F14 using VA other multiplayers will not hear my transmission to VA

Hope it helps🖖

Hi FroZone,

Could you be so kind to explain how you achieve that??

Trying to set it up exactly like that, but I really have no clue.

2 minutes ago, Gideon312 said:

Hi FroZone,

Could you be so kind to explain how you achieve that??

Trying to set it up exactly like that, but I really have no clue.

I had to set up something similar as I really struggled to use both in the method described in the viacom handbook. Best to keep them to separate bindings if you have the buttons. Things also get additionally complicated if you are trying to use discord on a PTT also. The binds to create this are done inside viacom and SRS, just decide what you want and go through all the applications to set it up. FroZone's is similar to what I used to have but I separated SRS radio select and PTT so that the Viacom Tx1 and Tx2 also select the same SRS channel. Holding either of those means I speak to viacom, releasing and pushing the centre of the hat I speak over SRS. This allows me to bind another of the four way for discord PTT and another for intercom. Pretty confusing but does work once you have it set up and you can fly on servers that use SRS or discord or both without having to rebind and with full control over who you are talking to.

Worth noting that for added annoyance discord does not seem to be able to tell different usb controllers so a PPT on my warthog will also activate PTT for the same number button on all the other controllers I have. MFDs, joystick, button box etc etc. I got around this by mapping the discord PTT to a keyboard key, and then using viacom to map my warthog controller button to activate this keyboard key - a kind of pass keybind through.

So many workarounds! More complicated than a real jet probably...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 9:44 AM, Hoirtel said:

I had to set up something similar as I really struggled to use both in the method described in the viacom handbook. Best to keep them to separate bindings if you have the buttons. Things also get additionally complicated if you are trying to use discord on a PTT also. The binds to create this are done inside viacom and SRS, just decide what you want and go through all the applications to set it up. FroZone's is similar to what I used to have but I separated SRS radio select and PTT so that the Viacom Tx1 and Tx2 also select the same SRS channel. Holding either of those means I speak to viacom, releasing and pushing the centre of the hat I speak over SRS. This allows me to bind another of the four way for discord PTT and another for intercom. Pretty confusing but does work once you have it set up and you can fly on servers that use SRS or discord or both without having to rebind and with full control over who you are talking to.

Worth noting that for added annoyance discord does not seem to be able to tell different usb controllers so a PPT on my warthog will also activate PTT for the same number button on all the other controllers I have. MFDs, joystick, button box etc etc. I got around this by mapping the discord PTT to a keyboard key, and then using viacom to map my warthog controller button to activate this keyboard key - a kind of pass keybind through.

So many workarounds! More complicated than a real jet probably...

Thanks for this. I'm just getting round to using Discord for PTT for a server requirement and couldn't work out how to assign a throttle button to its PTT. So I actually need to assign a key combo in Discord, then map that to a throttle button in Voice Attack ? (Actually seperate press and release actions in Voice Attack, similar to the Viacom TX set up).

Question: Discord appears to have a load of default keybinds. Don't those conflict with those set up in DCS and Voice Attack ?

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

2 hours ago, ShaunX said:

Thanks for this. I'm just getting round to using Discord for PTT for a server requirement and couldn't work out how to assign a throttle button to its PTT. So I actually need to assign a key combo in Discord, then map that to a throttle button in Voice Attack ? (Actually seperate press and release actions in Voice Attack, similar to the Viacom TX set up).

Question: Discord appears to have a load of default keybinds. Don't those conflict with those set up in DCS and Voice Attack ?

Yes, discord doesn't recognise game controllers separately so if you map it direct to the throttle, every other controller you have will also have that number button also activating discord PTT. I mapped discord to a single letter key, and then map viacom to "press" that same key via the button I choose on my throttle Bit of a workaround.... To make things more awkward you have to alter the activation options/behaviour in viacom so it works as a hold and release. I did start with a separate press and release command but found a single "repeat command" worked better. I was having trouble with it either not holding or pressing on and off infinitely.

I would presume other keybinds conflict, I really don't use the keyboard for much when I'm actually flying other than a couple of main keys (cant see - VR) not noticed any conflicts though.

Viacom settings

Discord and PTT.PNG

Edited by Hoirtel

29 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Yes, discord doesn't recognise game controllers separately so if you map it direct to the throttle, every other controller you have will also have that number button also activating discord PTT. I mapped discord to a single letter key, and then map viacom to "press" that same key via the button I choose on my throttle Bit of a workaround.... To make things more awkward you have to alter the activation options/behaviour in viacom so it works as a hold and release. I did start with a separate press and release command but found a single "repeat command" worked better. I was having trouble with it either not holding or pressing on and off infinitely.

I would presume other keybinds conflict, I really don't use the keyboard for much when I'm actually flying other than a couple of main keys (cant see - VR) not noticed any conflicts though.

Viacom settings

Thanks. Interesting that the seperate press and release doesn't work as that's exactly how it's done for the Viacom PTT TX buttons

I have a bunch of key combos defined in DCS, which Voice Attack executes via voice commands and some via joystick / button box so just worried that they may conflict with Discord. I guess I'll try and see.

Personally I'd prefer to use SRS but some servers insist on Discord.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

4 hours ago, ShaunX said:

This and the follow up posts I've seen so far don't seem to have anything to do with VAICOM, and so you might have more luck in forums devoted to VoiceAttack and/or SRS and/or Discord. FWIW, I have a single throttle button bound as PTT for both Discord and SRS since I rarely have reason to use both at once. I do the bindings in Discord and SRS directly and these bindings have nothing to do with VoiceAttack or VAICOM. And it works just fine. So I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is that you are trying to solve. Using VoiceAttack to program PTT for Discord or SRS seems like quite a kludge solution.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

13 hours ago, sthompson said:

This and the follow up posts I've seen so far don't seem to have anything to do with VAICOM, and so you might have more luck in forums devoted to VoiceAttack and/or SRS and/or Discord. FWIW, I have a single throttle button bound as PTT for both Discord and SRS since I rarely have reason to use both at once. I do the bindings in Discord and SRS directly and these bindings have nothing to do with VoiceAttack or VAICOM. And it works just fine. So I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is that you are trying to solve. Using VoiceAttack to program PTT for Discord or SRS seems like quite a kludge solution.

Sorry to hijack your thread man. I finally managed to get a throttle PTT directly assigned in Discord. The problem was that some of my warthog switches were set to on when I tried the Discord record keybind function, so they were getting immediately picked up before I could press the mic button.

• Like 1

Correction.. Just for completeness. Discord will indeed assign assign a throttle buttton, however, as @Hoirtel stated earlier, it also assigns a button it recognises with the same Id (e.g.GAMEPAD1) on every other controller, in my case the pickle on my joystick and a button on my button box. Does't seem to be away round this in Discord, hence back to Hoirtel's original suggestion.

On 11/30/2021 at 6:24 PM, sthompson said:

It's not quite a completely unrelated conversation... Bit restrictive to have to change threads if a discussion evolves a little... Apologies if you were upset. 

4 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

It's not quite a completely unrelated conversation... Bit restrictive to have to change threads if a discussion evolves a little... Apologies if you were upset. 

Not what he said at all! 😉

"you might have more luck", is a suggestion, because it seems very backwards and clumsy to have to configure VoiceAttack to press a key when pressing a joystick button.
I wasn't aware Discord was that limited, but I know other VAICOM users are using all "four" software happily together, allthough in a different way.

Anyway I believe RS Remapper, or what it's called, or maybe even Joystick Gremlin are what you guys are looking for.
Cheers!

24 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

"you might have more luck", is a suggestion, because it seems very backwards and clumsy to have to configure VoiceAttack to press a key when pressing a joystick button.
I wasn't aware Discord was that limited, but I know other VAICOM users are using all "four" software happily together, allthough in a different way.

Anyway I believe RS Remapper, or what it's called, or maybe even Joystick Gremlin are what you guys are looking for.
Cheers!

Not really. No more luck needed, it works. The workaround is fine if you happen to use Viacom/VA anyway. Why bother with yet more plugins if you have something that will do it. It is a Viacom (and therefore VA) thread after all.

Edited by Hoirtel

6 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Not upset. Apologies if it came across that way. I was just trying to point out that better help might be available elsewhere.

• Like 1

Not really. No more luck needed, it works. The workaround is fine if you happen to use Viacom/VA anyway. Why bother with yet more plugins if you have something that will do it. It is a Viacom (and therefore VA) thread after all.
Absolutely! If it works don't fix it!
I might have misunderstood the problem anyway.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Cheers!

Agreed regarding better joystick mapping software. The proposed solution using VoiceAttack is essentially using it as a joystick mapper, and it's better to just use a program designed for that. In my case I have a CH throttle and pedals and a VKB stick. Using joystick programming software (CHSETUP in my case, but any remapper will do) I programmed a key combination on my throttle to output a high button number on a virtual DX device. That button number is not used on the other devices, and so I do not have the problem of a conflict when I use it for Discord PTT. (I originally did this because Discord would not accept a combination of two keys as a PTT.) This is far cleaner than programming VA to press and hold a keyboard key (which may generate its own conflict with other software, including DCS).

In any event the problem lies with Discord's software and you/we might find a way to complain to them. There is no reason they shouldn't recognize different DX devices separately, and they should support key combinations for PTT or other functions.

• Like 1

I actually find VoiceAttack's joystick/button mapping functionality to be excellent and extremely powerful, and as I use it anyway for Viacom, I see no need for additional software.

For the Discord PTT, I mapped an unused key combo in Discord, then seperate press and release commands for it in VA, exactly as Viacom uses VA for its TX buttons. Works perfectly.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sthompson said:

Agreed regarding better joystick mapping software. The proposed solution using VoiceAttack is essentially using it as a joystick mapper, and it's better to just use a program designed for that. In my case I have a CH throttle and pedals and a VKB stick. Using joystick programming software (CHSETUP in my case, but any remapper will do) I programmed a key combination on my throttle to output a high button number on a virtual DX device. That button number is not used on the other devices, and so I do not have the problem of a conflict when I use it for Discord PTT. (I originally did this because Discord would not accept a combination of two keys as a PTT.) This is far cleaner than programming VA to press and hold a keyboard key (which may generate its own conflict with other software, including DCS).

In any event the problem lies with Discord's software and you/we might find a way to complain to them. There is no reason they shouldn't recognize different DX devices separately, and they should support key combinations for PTT or other functions.

Well.. I agree with the last paragraph... So therefore I use VA as a great workaround. But it's not for everyone I guess. 

• Like 1