VirPil helicopter collective controls

Sokol1_br

Looking forward to these landing!

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 64Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090,

CONTROLS: VPC Rotor TCS Base, VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base, VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime [R], Thrustmaster Warthog – Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR - Pendular Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Alpha Flight Control (For Anubis C-130 Hercules), Meta Quest Pro.

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11,

Hoping for an Apache replica collective grip too, but the UH-60 grip will be nice as well. Hopefully these get released close to the Kiowas release. These collectives are just what i was waiting for, now i can't wait to get back into helicopters after 20 years since Jane's Longbow. Great news for rotor heads indeed!

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

5 hours ago, BranchPrediction said:

I like the ka50 collective more, but does its handle rotate? Like the huey's collective.

It's two different bases with interchangeable sticks. One base has a rotating throttle grip, the other doesn't. You can use either stick with it.

So the simple answer is yes.

• Thanks 1

buff I need to win the lottery

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

They are usually small volume stuff, but there is a fair few who makes a basic collective for about $5-$600.

Replica stuff starts around a grand.

You can also get stuff off ebay and macgyver it with a Leo Bodnar board or an arduino.

Fact is, I do not accept this is anything more difficult to make than any other throttle\gimbal solution.

If they can sell the CM3 for €360 so can this.

If you simplify.

It's a stick with a hall sensor at the end, and a brake.

Edited by Bob_Bushman
  • Like 2

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

10 hours ago, Bob_Bushman said:

...small volume stuff, but a fair few who makes a basic collective for about $5-$600.

Replica stuff starts around a grand.

You didn't name, names... can you suggest one of the better small volume alternatives and one of the better replica standard options, please. Not trolling, but interested in the alternatives to this Virpil solution.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Google is a thing you know.

As for the more replica stuff.

https://komodosimulations.co.uk/collections/collective

And another option for $350

https://pro-flight-trainer-com.myshopify.com/collections/spare-parts/products/adjustable-collective-arm-with-throttle-box-and-zone-switch

Edited by Bob_Bushman
  • Like 1

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

6 hours ago, Bob_Bushman said:

Starting at around $600usd for 3d printed parts or $350 for  two buttons and a couple switches.   You buy those, I like the look of the VIRPIL.  It's a funny argument to be having when we don't know the price..  If the price of the collective bas is the same as the more expensive mogoose stick base and the grip is the same as one of their other grips then its about the same price as the komodo.  The quality of the VIRPIL grips makes it kind of a no brainer.  Hey, I am just guessing like you.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bob_Bushman said:

Google is a thing you know.

What a charmer.

There. That wasn't so difficult was it? Plenty of people in the community - including me -  are more than happy to help others in areas where they know more about a particular subject. I have no prior experience of helicopters, but I though I would ask seeing as you appeared to know what you were talking about. Yet when I see you dismiss Virpil's new products by saying ...

On 12/27/2020 at 9:17 AM, Bob_Bushman said:

Anymore than $300 they might as well have not bothered.

... and then I look at your suggestions from Pro Flight Trainer and Komodo which look like cheaper materials and manufacturing than Virpil and more expensive than your "<$300 or don't bother" comment no wonder why you made the "google is your friend" comment. You really didn't have any value added after all.

• Like 10

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My gut feeling is Virpil will be at a price point that is going to rip Komodo a new one along with better quality and more features.  The big question will be any early growing pains from a new design for Virpil  I understand it's a niche market, but Komodo has always been on crack for selling a base at $600 and a separate controller at $600 when the parts quality is not that great to truly be in line with those prices. 

When you are exceeding a grand, it's no longer time to be using 3D printed hats.  I would rather spend an extra $50 per hat to get a quality one than a 3D printed one.  At its heart, 3D printing is an awesome technology, but I feel it is being abused too much over quality due to its convenience.  Or I should say, some manufacturers are using low or mid-range 3D printers instead of shelling out for the ones that can do it right (if they even exist right now).

Edited by zcaa0g
  • Like 4

Cypher

• Cypher
  • Administrators
  • vpc_team.png.521a405337c67c6aa7ad5e2539f
  • 594 posts

Hello VIRPILs!

Today we would like to talk more about our upcoming VPC Rotor TCS and Rotor TCS Plus Collective Bases!

VPC_Heli_06.thumb.png.1752daed422a57ec9190bbd0be8b92dd.png

As previously announced, there will be two variants of our collective base. Both bases will feature high quality, all metal construction and a clutch mechanism to hold the lever position when released. 

The clutch can be adjusted via the screw port holes located at the top and bottom side of the bases and can be achieved without dismantling the base, allowing on-the-fly tuning. 

Further adjustment will be provided via interchangeable cam plates to adjust the range of motion provided by the base.

Axis response will be provided via our VPC Digital Contactless Sensors, ensuring accurate and precise positioning across the entire axis range. 

Where the bases differ is on the VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base - the Plus variant includes an additional twist throttle axis on the stem, as well as an additional push button input and switch perfect for the most demanding helicopter pilots. These inputs will be used to control the operation of the twist grip - the rotation range can be restricted with the toggle. The grip will also include tactile detents within the range.

VPC_Heli_07.thumb.png.3e269a75454bfac534cb4764aecef2f9.png

Mounting the VPC Rotor TCS Bases poses an interesting challenge due to the unique nature of these controls. We are still in the process of reviewing solutions to offer versatile and accessible mounting options for all VIRPILs. Current production prototypes are using a metal bracket which can be attached to existing simpits or hard mounted to a desk chair.

VPC_Heli_08.thumb.png.5177905a8b74d962df13bf3700cb9115.png

Connectivity is provided via our detachable USB and AUX outputs as found on our MongoosT-50 range of devices and will support device daisy-chaining. 

Stay tuned for more news on our helicopter controls lineup!

Regards,
VIRPIL Controls Team

• Like 11

Patrick

mini.gif