Afterburner detent setting.

MRTX

Im guessing that already a dozen people haves suggested this, but can we just get an afterburner detent setting in the axis controls. (it makes it a lot more hustle free than to fiddle around with your axis curve settings) ED we all know you hate easy to implement quality of life features, but come on, just do it!

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Shrimp said:

This would perfectly match the new Virpil CM3 throttle.

I haven't followed much, but didn't they add stop/idle switches, same as the Warthog? Is it still just a physical detent that doesn't do anything in-game?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

On 12/22/2020 at 5:41 PM, MRTX said:

Im guessing that already a dozen people haves suggested this, but can we just get an afterburner detent setting in the axis controls. (it makes it a lot more hustle free than to fiddle around with your axis curve settings) ....

+100000👍

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

+1 on the thread. Long time requested feature.

On 12/23/2020 at 2:39 PM, Shrimp said:

Shrimp TM TARGET Script allows to set this up, doesn't the VIRPIL software allow for something similar?

On 12/23/2020 at 2:39 PM, Shrimp said:

I would also add ‘Stop’ and ‘Idle’ setting on the throttle axis as an option.

Plus the upcoming VKB one (if I don't die of old age before it gets released - and I'm in my early 20s!).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 12/31/2020 at 6:15 PM, lxsapper said:

+1 on the thread. Long time requested feature.

Shrimp TM TARGET Script allows to set this up, doesn't the VIRPIL software allow for something similar?

Yes, but as different aircraft have the AB detent at various different positions it is best to have the option in the simulation to define that position in the throttle axis and have on all-in solution. The same for the Idle and Stop detents.

These would be the basics.

The various programming possibilities of the controllers’ software can be used to further increase users needs.

• Like 2

Yeah, it would be perfect if we could have user definable ranges for off/idle, dry thrust, and AB and would be particularly useful for throttles without configurable detents or finger lifts. 

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

BMS has had this for years - due to Falcon 4.0 already having it! DCS really needs to include this, it is a massively useful option.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I've suspected for a while that ED doesn't include this aparently simple feature because in DCS the throttle position isn't actually linked to the axis assigned to in but rather the position of the lever in the 3d cockpit and in turn that is linked to the axis position, which is probably the reverse of what other sims do.

I just came across this problem myself, after buying the rather costly Warthog HOTAS for my rig. I reversed the detent in the throttle so I could use the detent. I jumped in my F/A-18 and found the afterburner would not kick in. I fiddled about with the mapping and all seemed ok.  Then I jumped back in to my A-10C and couldn’t get more than about 85% power. The detent was restricting the full range of the throttle. So some more fiddling with the mapping. 

Thinking about it, the afterburner detent should probably just have been a switch rather than the high range of the throttle. Is this how a real afterburner detent works? The Warthog HOTAS has a switch for the idle detent on each throttle, so that one was thought about.

For DCS, we need to be able to recognise whether a physical afterburner detent is present in the controller, and be able to adjust the 100% military power position. This is relevant to all aircraft whether they have afterburners or not, i.e. A-10C or P51D when the controller throttle afterburner detent is fitted. We DCS players tend to jump in and out of multiple planes. So don’t want to have to change the sim hardware each time. 

Thanks for listening. 
Paul

• 1 month later...

I fly the F16. It has button/bind that allows you to go the full range of the throttle without going into AB. (Search "AB" or "Afterburner"). The downside to this is.. when the throttle is full forward and not in AB, if you want to go into AB you have to pull back the throttle a little, hit the AB button/bind to engage the AB and then go back to full forward. Make sure that the AB detent in the Controller/Options/Special section is in the "Always On" positon. Found this out the hard way. When I first bought the F16, I couldn't engage the AB at all. Msg'd ED about it with no reply. So I bought the F18 to see if I had the same problem and I didn't. On a similar note, the needle on the gauge does not go past 103% even though I'm in what I assume is full afterburner. I looked at the throttle handle in the cockpit and it does appear to be in the full forward position. (It's right up against the stop). Still, I'm not confident I'm in full AB. The exhaust nozzle isn't fully open. Though my fuel consumption would indicate full AB. We should be able to read a gauge and depend on it's accuracy. Have a similar problem using the Harm AGM. The sweep time is only four (4) seconds yet I I pick up targets In a variety of areas on the MFD. (Not just in the center, or left/right side.) I like DCS for a lot of reasons but I have to say, I don't recall having these irritants with BMS. Been a while since I used it. Fighting with the issues mentioned above and not being able to shoot AGM65s. (Numerous tutorials, read the manual etc.) I'm near the end of my rope. At the sake of repeating myself, I want to spend time with the sim, not these issues. Yes, it's a bitch. I look forward to your replys. I'd love to hear from someone at ED to discuss these issues or get clarification.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

+1!!!

I have an ancient CH Pro Throttle with a modded detent. I cannot physically change the location. Need a software setting in DCS. It's the only way to set it. The other sim, that we cannot talk about, you simply place the throttle where you want AB to start and press a button in the software. Simple and effective. Thanks ED!

On 1/14/2021 at 10:57 AM, paulw10 said:

Thinking about it, the afterburner detent should probably just have been a switch rather than the high range of the throttle. Is this how a real afterburner detent works? The Warthog HOTAS has a switch for the idle detent on each throttle, so that one was thought about.

Real AB detent isn't a simple on-off switch in most aircraft. While usually when you go to burner you firewall the throttle, you definitely can throttle the burner if you need to, although it's somewhat more granular. You can sometimes hear people talking about afterburner "zones", in an F-14, for instance, depending on the throttle position you can be in zone 1 (barely above the detent) through 5 (full burner). The Viggen even has a zone indicator, and a separate detent for each of the three zones. In the MiG-19 you can throttle normally in AB, and although it is toggled by a button, it's a separate button that you need to hit. Now, I can't say I used the lower zones a whole lot, but the functionality is there in DCS, and IRL you can even fly formation while in burner if you need to for some reason.

Edited by Dragon1-1

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

Looks like Wags has a build where you at least have provisions for AB detent settings in the GUI already.
Seen in his recent Apache controls setup video: 

(timestamped for your convenience) 

• Like 2

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:23 PM, 104th_Crunch said:

+1!!!

I have an ancient CH Pro Throttle with a modded detent. I cannot physically change the location. Need a software setting in DCS. It's the only way to set it. The other sim, that we cannot talk about, you simply place the throttle where you want AB to start and press a button in the software. Simple and effective. Thanks ED!

On my cell, so I don't have a link. But search for Bailey's and "other user"'s afterburner detent calculator or something. Works very well! 

Cheers! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...