F-14 VR ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE (NOW UPDATED TO v2.4 - 20 MAY 2022)

Mike Wazowsky

F-14 VR ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE

Heatblur's Tomcat is a work of art... but sometimes as impractical as art can be!

If you wish to improve cockpit readability, both day and night, this is for you!!!

Also, uses lighter textures with virtually no quality drop and comes with a beautiful dynamic carrier scene in the menu... Enjoy!

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313661/

Mike "Waze" Wazowsky

ALL CREDITS GO TO THE SKILLED MODDERS WHO CONTRIBUTED. READ THE README!

F-14 Ultimate VR Xperience (F14VUX) v2.6
by Mike "Waze" Wazowsky
JUN 2023

Screen_201223_235327.png

Screen_201223_235402.png

Screen_201224_001617.jpg

Screen_201224_001642.jpg

Screen_201224_000047.jpg

Edited by Mike Wazowsky
update v2.6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

UPDATED TO V1.3 ON 28 DEC 2020

V1.3

- Mitigated a bug in the RIO weapon type indicator windows (see KNOWN ISSUES).
- Adjusted RIO UHF radio mode (MAN/G/PRESET...) knob for better alignment.
- Minor cosmetic fixes to backlighting.

MASSIVE UPDATE (AGAIN!) ON 30 DECEMBER
V2.0

- Massive improvement to all backlights.
- Modified menu scene (Thanks Speed-of-Heat for the help and Hextopia for the inspiration!).
- Now with Guest Stars: Kelly McGillis and Meg Ryan!

UPDATED ON 5 JANUARY 2021
V2.1

- Improved a few remaining textures.
- Fixed dim AOA indexer light and CAP green pointer.
- More reduced size (2K) cockpit textures, still no perceivable loss of quality.
- LANTIRN panel lights now have different colors for quick ID.
- Menu scene improved, watch out for OPFOR snooping around...
- Meg Ryan / Mrs. Bradshaw relocated, so she doesn't get in the way of LANTIRN...

I'm torn.  Installed your pack twice and uninstalled it the same amount.  Most probably will result in an on / off

I really love the clarity in VR and think the original Cockpit is a little overdone with tear and wear, but your version looks a little to dominant / generic to me.  I believe a little less and I would be sold.

Anyhow....thank you for the great work.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 10:22 AM, Lt_Jaeger said:

...your version looks a little to dominant / generic to me.  I believe a little less and I would be sold.

Thanks for the comment, can you explain what you mean here? I doubt I will have time to go through any major modification, but I'll see what I can do.

On 1/14/2021 at 5:41 AM, Talbot_pl said:

My bad... so... where is Charlotte „Charlie” Blackwood ? 😄

You must look around the front office 😉

Edited by Mike Wazowsky
  • Like 1

• Mike Wazowsky changed the title to F-14 VR ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE (NOW UPDATED TO v2.2 - 1000th DOWNLOAD EDITION)
  • 2 months later...

@Mike WazowskyReally enjoy this mod and been using it for a while. With the small tweaks to the F14 label wise since 2.7 (radar cooling switch for example in RIO seat) is there a plan to update the mod to include these changes too?

• Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

On 4/29/2021 at 10:05 AM, Talbot_pl said:

Mate I just wanted to get info about file name where you put Charlie and change it... that's all i wanted.

Ok, you deserve a better explanation... Assuming you are using a mod manager (highly recommended JSGME for simplicity)

TO MODIFY:
- look inside the F-14 VUX mod folder for files called HB_F14_CPT_CANOPY_R_L.dds and  HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_05.dds and modify.
- To have an option for the original look, I will have to work on a new version...

Edited by Mike Wazowsky

@Mike Wazowsky No worries. I must admit I hadn't realised they had added the label until I came across this post:

And that only mentions the liquid cooling switch, I couldn't find a more exhaustive list, and there's nothing specific I could find in the changelog either 🙁

• Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• 4 months later...

Love this mod but I'm encountering a really unique problem with it.

I regularly fly online in the Viggen, another HeatBlur module.  However when I'm running this v2.2. of this mod and then get into a Viggen on a MP server, I get ejected due to an integrity control (IC) failure for a Viggen texture?!

I run about 20+ mods, including Devrim's English translation for the Viggen, which seemed like the initial obvious reason.  However after isolating each mod individually through OVGME, I eventually discovered its v2.2. of this F14 mod causing the Viggen IC failure.  Even when I do a full DCS repair and then only run this mod and nothing else, the IC fail occurs.

Notably, the IC fail only occurs when I run this mod and then also switch role to a Viggen on a MP server.  I can run this mod and play all other modules on a MP with no issues.

The only thing I can think of is that because they are both Heatblur modules, then there must be some shared textures.  However this doesn't make sense, as why would one modules textures be dependent upon owning anothers?  Why am I simply not getting the IC fail for the Waze v2.2 F14 textures?!

Does anybody else own the Viggen and run this mod?  Have you encountered this IC issue?

Sadly this is the only mod I have had to disable due to IC failure. despite being very weird and specific in origin.

2021-09-09 02:33:45.822 WARNING SECURITYCONTROL: IC fail: textures/hb_vig_mirrors_fake @ mods/aircraft/ajs37/textures
2021-09-09 02:33:45.822 WARNING SECURITYCONTROL: IC fail: textures/hb_vig_mirrors_fake_roughmet @ mods/aircraft/ajs37/textures

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Mike Wazowsky changed the title to F-14 VR ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE (NOW UPDATED TO v2.4 - 20 MAY 2022)
  • 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, DungeonMaster said:

I can't get the animated menu scene to work, when I "activate" it in the DemoScene folder my DCS just crashes on load before getting into the menus.

I have attached my dcs.log file for reference.

dcs.log 62.82 kB · 0 downloads

Seems like this is the problem...

2022-08-11 21:48:29.962 ERROR   GRAPHICSVISTA: Can't open model cvn74.
2022-08-11 21:48:29.962 ERROR   VISUALIZER: demoscene: model cvn74 not found

which I guess has nothing to do with the mod, but something is corrupted with your CVN-74 model. I can suggest to repair (to include deleting extra files) and to check in you C:\%USERNAME%\savedgames\DCS\ if you have any interfering custom models or liveries which may be conflicting. Sorry I don't have a clear solution...

I thought they changed/removed the old stennis model?

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

12 hours ago, Mike Wazowsky said:

Seems like this is the problem...

2022-08-11 21:48:29.962 ERROR   GRAPHICSVISTA: Can't open model cvn74.
2022-08-11 21:48:29.962 ERROR   VISUALIZER: demoscene: model cvn74 not found

which I guess has nothing to do with the mod, but something is corrupted with your CVN-74 model. I can suggest to repair (to include deleting extra files) and to check in you C:\%USERNAME%\savedgames\DCS\ if you have any interfering custom models or liveries which may be conflicting. Sorry I don't have a clear solution...

I have tried a repair, I have also tried with using just your mod and no others at all