A10-C is included with A10-C II???

Hi all,

I'm brand new here,

Started to play DCS couple weeks ago, picked up FC3 and have been having a blast!

I really enjoyed the Free Frogfoot, but the A10-A has left allot to be desired. 

I prefer the way the A10-A flies vs the FrogFoot, but the A10-A's weapons system is unintuitive, to me anyway. Perhaps being that its a FC3 plane, its a bit too simplified. It seems the A-10-A's maverick locks to anything too easily, then its kind of unintuitive to move and select another target. 

The F15C and Su33 are both awesome and all the playable content on the base map make FC3 well worth it.

So with that out of the way I have a few questions, (please bear with me, I'm just a dumb farmer lookin to play Single player or Coop against AI)

1.  Is the A10-C is included with A10-C II??? (I read in another post that it was, almost seems like too good to be true)

2. How does the weapon system of the A10-C II compare with the FC3 version? i.e. Apples to Oranges? or Uranium to Cotton Candy?

3. In your opinion, which was easier to get used to, F/A-18 or A10-C II ? I prefer air-to-ground but, air-to-air is also not bad. I feel the FC3 fighters will cover the air-to-air for me. I have a ThrustMaster Airbus Joystick, NO throttle, so one hand on Joystick and one on keyboard, so far I have been getting along just fine this way.

4. I'm buying only 1 more module this sale, being that I already have FC3, what's your opinion on getting the Persian Gulf terrain vs adding either F/A-18 or A10-C II ? (I currently have no High Fidelity module)

Thanks in advance!

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

DCS: FC3, FA-18C Hornet, Supercarrier, P-51D Mustang, F-5E Tiger II, A-10C II Tank Killer, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Normandy 2.0, WWII Assets Pack.

I can only answer number 3 for you, if you prefer air to ground , then IMO the A10-C as it has more weapon stations. It takes longer to get to the mission but you don't have to RTB to re arm as often, I will load up with around 14 GBU 12's and just drop single bombs. So a few hours gameplay and you only have to re arm once. Flying above 20,000 and hitting every target with pin point accuracy is something I never get bored of. The learning curve is pretty steep but once you know which button action to use for what action you need is rewarding. I recently got the A10-CII so I am learning the new HMCS which looks great as I fly with a friend and he can never find the targets, so he ends up just flying around for 3 hours, but now I can lock up the targets and send the information to him so he can then see the targets on his MFD. 

I never flew with the A10-A as I bought the C version the same time as I bought FC3, so I mixed between the SU-27/33 and the A-10C.  I have the F-18 and I enjoy flying it too but I always come back to the Hog.  

GigabyteZ390, 9900K, RTX2080, 32 gig RAM,TM Warthog, Cessna Pro Pedals, Pico 4

2 hours ago, TheCoyoteHunter said:

1.  Is the A10-C is included with A10-C II??? (I read in another post that it was, almost seems like too good to be true)

i dont think it is included, as the A-10C is still being sold on its own.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, TheCoyoteHunter said:

4. I'm buying only 1 more module this sale, being that I already have FC3, what's your opinion on getting the Persian Gulf terrain vs adding either F/A-18 or A10-C II ? (I currently have no High Fidelity module)

My recommendation would be A10-C II.  But try them during this free trial period and decide for yourself.  That's the whole point.

And I saw that A10C being included in A10C-II post too but I don't think that's true if you buy the full A10C-II.

So one thing you'll be missing if you buy full A10C-II are campaigns.  Because it's still early access.  But you can download the converted A10C campaigns from user files.

Edited by Taz1004

3 hours ago, TheCoyoteHunter said:

This is my understanding of ED's pricing

• A-10C II = $80 (includes old version for backward compatibly with DLC's, etc.)

and

• A-10C (original @ $60) + A-10C II upgrade ($20) = $80

are equivalent.

• A-10C (original) = $60

is sold separately for players who want save money, don't the require the A-10C II's features or want to play a A-10C DLC campaign.

HOWEVER -  as a pre-existing owner of the A-10C, I can't be 100% sure - as the older A-10C isn't listed in the A-10C II's $80 product page.

The A-10C prices in the Steam Sale are a mess at the moment (presumably done to avoid A-10C + upgrade being cheaper than A-10C II).

A-10CII = $56 ($80 with 30% discount)

A-10CII Upgrade = $10 (Steam still has the pre 31st Oct discount)

A-10C (original) = $60

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

6 hours ago, TheCoyoteHunter said:

2. How does the weapon system of the A10-C II compare with the FC3 version? i.e. Apples to Oranges? or Uranium to Cotton Candy?

Uranium to Cotton Candy. The C is an entirely different beast than the A, not just weapon wise, but also avionics. With it's glass cockpit, digital systems and multi function color screens it's very mch a 21st century combat jet, compared to the analogue A. It's weapon load is also incredible lethal when it comes to ground pounding, with all those smart and precision weapons.

3. In your opinion, which was easier to get used to, F/A-18 or A10-C II ? I prefer air-to-ground but, air-to-air is also not bad. I feel the FC3 fighters will cover the air-to-air for me. I have a ThrustMaster Airbus Joystick, NO throttle, so one hand on Joystick and one on keyboard, so far I have been getting along just fine this way.

Well, I learned to fly the A-10C about 10 years ago, way before the F/A-18 became available, so I might be a bit biased here, but in all honesty I find the A-10C so much more intuitive to use. After takeoff you barely have to touch anything in the cockpit at all, as it has an incredible complex HOTAS system, which puts almost everything you need in combat on your stick and throttle. The downside of this is, that if you don't have the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS or a comparable HOTAS, then you might struggle with the number of HOTAS functions the A-10C offers.

I'm flying the A-10C, the F/A-18C and the F-16C, but neither the Hornet nor the Viper gives me the god-like feeling that the Hog gives me when circling above my prey. I literally feel like the god of war himself when flying the A-10C, being able to let everyone die at a flick of my finger.

Well, that's a rather subjective choice, but I personally think that if you don't own a full fidelity module so far, it is definitely worth to buy any of them rather than a new map.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thank you so much for the detailed replies, my mind is made up.

I was heavily leaning this way anyway, I'm getting a Hog-II for Christmas! 

I really appreciate you sharing your opinions!

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

DCS: FC3, FA-18C Hornet, Supercarrier, P-51D Mustang, F-5E Tiger II, A-10C II Tank Killer, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Normandy 2.0, WWII Assets Pack.

4 hours ago, TheCoyoteHunter said:

Thank you so much for the detailed replies, my mind is made up.

I really appreciate you sharing your opinions!

Good choice.  Perhaps you can confirm if A10C is included or not.

6 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Good choice.  Perhaps you can confirm if A10C is included or not.

When I download the A10-C II it didn't download the A10-C with it.

I had to download the A10-C separately and being that everything is free now, I don't really know if its included or not.

Guess I'll have to wait and see once the free period is over.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheCoyoteHunter said:

When I download the A10-C II it didn't download the A10-C with it.

I had to download the A10-C separately and being that everything is free now, I don't really know if its included or not.

Guess I'll have to wait and see once the free period is over.

It's still a distinct module, so you would need to download it separately either way. The hog is great fun to fly, enjoy!

Edited by Harzach

dcs_sig.jpg

The A-10 II is a joy to fly and I always find myself coming back to it. I agree with above that an improved throttle and stick makes a big difference. The hog is a complex beast with a steep learning but it’s fun all the way. You can also setup custom missions just for practice on static targets until you get good enough. That’s what I do, just change to different weapons types to get use to the systems. 

On 12/25/2020 at 3:31 AM, TheCoyoteHunter said:

Excellent choice! 👍

Did you already get a chance for a first flight? How do you like the module so far?

On 12/24/2020 at 8:28 PM, Rudel_chw said:

i dont think it is included, as the A-10C is still being sold on its own.

As far as I know, ED have said that they definitely wanted to include the old A-10C in the new A-10C II module to provide future compatibility with old missions (including the payware campaigns). Having purchased the upgrade, I can't say for certain whether that's already the case for new customers, but it's my understanding that it was planned like this.

Would be great if someone who only purchased the A-10C II could confirm that (after the current free trial period), like OP said before. 😉

Hi Guys,

Here is my findings and thoughts. (Haven't purchased a hi-fidelity module as of yet)

DCS is my 1st flight sim ever, and I'm really enjoying myself, I really liked the jets in Battlefield 3-4 but DCS actually feels like you are in the cockpit.

The A10-C II is awesome to fly around and "dis-alive" things on the ground. However, I am struggling a bit with only my thrustmaster airbus stick and keyboard.

I purchased the FC3 package when the Christmas sale began. I downloaded a tutorial on the F15C and I can say I have the radar and systems working to my liking. While there is allot of content in the FC3 module, the controls are a bit too simplified. Still loads of fun though, I especially like the SU-33,I do not like the A10-A after flying the A10-C. 

I also downloaded the Hornet, and I'm pretty sure I got stung. Maybe its because of my really limited HOTAS setup, but taking off and landing, even air to air is easier than the FC3 jets. You don't need a button for landing gear/flaps you just click. Radar controls are much easier too, at least for me.

I feel the A10C-II is a steal of a deal, especially if you get A10C with it(99% sure it does). I'm pretty sure I will land up with the Hornet this sale though, only because the Hog seems best when one has a proper HOTAS setup as several people have stated above. I'm really glad I tried both the Hog and Hornet to see which one fits me best right now.

There will be more sales to come and the Hog will be at the top of the list as well as the Persian Gulf terrain.

Thank-You all for sharing your opinions, it really helped me find what I was looking for. The DCS community is awesome, the info shared on ED forums as well as Reddit is really great.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Yurgon said:

Would be great if someone who only purchased the A-10C II could confirm that (after the current free trial period), like OP said before. 😉

Or ED itself!! I'm a bit baffled that such an important product detail isn't clarified on the official product pages?!

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I recently got A-10C and A-10C II, gradually getting mods in sales. I agree not clear at all but put both in the basket and immediately it gave the A10C II as 19.99. I just went ahead and purchased them both but maybe should have just purchased it without A10C to see what happens! It seems you have to buy both but shouldn't really have to guess it should be clear in details.

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, paulw10 said:

I bought the A-10C II on Steam during the Christmas 2020 sale period.  The A-10C was included. The A-10A was not included. 

Thanks ... that's good info, ED should make that point more clear on both it's Steam and ED Stores. 👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB