Force DX11 mode in steam VR settings Query

markturner1960

So there is one setting no one has mentioned yet in the Quest for VR perfection......

What does the “ Force DX11 mode” option do in the In game controller options for windows vr settings? And what should it be set to?

54 views only.....no reply.....someone must know what it does !

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• markturner1960 changed the title to Force DX11 mode in steam VR settings Query
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, dpgfla said:

Hey, so from what I understand it allows reprojection to be handled by the cpu instead of the gpu. With my reverb g2 I need to have this turned on unless I want a stuttery mess as it appears I'm maxing out my gpu. 

The issue isn't your gpu. There is a bug related to motion reprojection on the latest steamvr/wmr steam releases.

Ryzen 5 3600x @ GTX 1070 on Samsung Odyssey+

:joystick:

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder

Pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro

4 hours ago, otavio said:

The issue isn't your gpu. There is a bug related to motion reprojection on the latest steamvr/wmr steam releases.

Good to know.  Running with DX11 turned on is the only way I can fly in DCS at the moment so I guess i'll cross my fingers and hope for an update that fixes the problem sometime soon. 

15 hours ago, dpgfla said:

Good to know.  Running with DX11 turned on is the only way I can fly in DCS at the moment so I guess i'll cross my fingers and hope for an update that fixes the problem sometime soon. 

May I ask, what is your gpu? You can downgrade SteamVR to 1.10.20 and WMR for SteamVR to the march 2020 build and turn dx11 off. For some reason when I enable dx 11, DCS World is very blurry compared to when it's turned off.

Pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro

Just tried this and got the same result.  With DX11 forced on I get improved performance but clarity is severely affected.  I have a g2 and it looks like an index or worse in visual clarity.  This is with 6800xt.

Edited by Strong05

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

I am going to have to test this as well. I have reprojection on in steamvr and 2080ti with 9900ks 5.1ghz. I reinstalled windows 10 and DCS of course and getting way smoother perf. I even turned on HT again and see no issues with it on. So I am wondering if peoples issues can be a result of needing to reinstall DCS. maybe after a few updates it starts to get pretty messy in the registry and DCS subfolders. After DCS has been updated a few times I notice that clearing shaders etc does nothing to help performance. I did also increase paging file to 32gb min and 64gb max. I still get random fps spikes below 35 but not often and the overall perf is way smoother now.

The image quality is good but only for things close up. go much beyond 10-15ft and they start to get degraded looking. This is true in the Reverb G1 for me as well.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Just tried turning this on again and with SS at 100%, and PD at 1.0 the clarity looks good, but it's not the same as with DX11 off.  Not sure what they are doing different with the rendering.  What I noticed most though is the 10-20+ FPS I get by forcing DX11 mode on.  It also makes everything much smoother then with it off.  I also have motion smoothing turned off.  Think I'm going to keep flying with it in DX11 mode, as the experience overall seems much improved with a 6800XT.

are you running an AMD chip and MB ? If yes - go into BIOS and change your PCIe setting to GEN 3, Not Gen 4 or Auto. It will fix the issue  - i had 3 days of installing and reinstalling due to my 3080 and 5800 setup and this was the solution - then use Thuds guide for all settings - Over to you

7 hours ago, Strong05 said:

Just tried turning this on again and with SS at 100%, and PD at 1.0 the clarity looks good, but it's not the same as with DX11 off.  Not sure what they are doing different with the rendering.  What I noticed most though is the 10-20+ FPS I get by forcing DX11 mode on.  It also makes everything much smoother then with it off.  I also have motion smoothing turned off.  Think I'm going to keep flying with it in DX11 mode, as the experience overall seems much improved with a 6800XT.

Just downgrade SteamVR and WMR until AMD launches a driver update. I've reported this issue in December and they only answered me 2 weeks ago and told me to wait for a driver update as engineers are working on it.

Pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro

7 hours ago, ruf01au said:

are you running an AMD chip and MB ? If yes - go into BIOS and change your PCIe setting to GEN 3, Not Gen 4 or Auto. It will fix the issue  - i had 3 days of installing and reinstalling due to my 3080 and 5800 setup and this was the solution - then use Thuds guide for all settings - Over to you

Thanks for the tip.  Where can I find Thuds guide?

On 2/8/2021 at 6:05 AM, otavio said:

May I ask, what is your gpu? You can downgrade SteamVR to 1.10.20 and WMR for SteamVR to the march 2020 build and turn dx11 off. For some reason when I enable dx 11, DCS World is very blurry compared to when it's turned off.

Power color red devil 5700xt.   With DX11 mode disabled the frame time goes down the toilet and creates headset stutter when moving my head around in game.  Enough stutter to make anyone sick.   With DX11 on and G2 vr sampling at 80% / DCS PD at 1.1 I get 35 fps+ and no headset stutter.  

On 2/11/2021 at 3:21 AM, dpgfla said:

Power color red devil 5700xt.   With DX11 mode disabled the frame time goes down the toilet and creates headset stutter when moving my head around in game.  Enough stutter to make anyone sick.   With DX11 on and G2 vr sampling at 80% / DCS PD at 1.1 I get 35 fps+ and no headset stutter.  

In single player? What kind of scenario because that’s insanely lots of supersampling for 5700xt? You are running about ~3000-3200^2 px per lense which is about ~90-95% Steamvr SS.

Edited by divinee

http://dcsfinland.fi/

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, MiG-21bis, M2000C, C-101, AJS-37, F-5, MF1, Bf-109K4, AH-64, UH-1, Ka-50, Mi-24, FC3, SC

System: i5-13600k@P58,58,57,57,56,56/E45 Asus TUF 3080Ti OC 12gb, 64gb DDR5 5600cl32, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBrD, Warthog throttle with deltasim slew, MFG Crosswind, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

On my machine the general steam vr (res per eye) is set to 50% (2440x2188) with custom resolution multiplier for DCS set to 80%(2004x1956) using the "per application" video settings.  PD set to 1.1 in DCS. 

Scenario is mostly single player with some hoggit multi thrown in but I wouldn't trust my settings to perform as well in heavily populated multiplayer or even single player missions.

Edited by dpgfla

• 3 months later...

Thank You! DX11 mode On is the key to smoothness and better FPS 🤩 with my new RX 6800 XT & Reverb G2. DX11 off was slideshow  particularly over the Syria map cities. 

My Settings: SteamVR SS 60%, PD 1.0

DCS Options: High, High, Low, Medium, Ultra, Low, Low, ... MSAA 2x, Off, None, Off, Standard, Off, Off, Off  

Edited by juimo

Hardware:

Asus ROG Strix X-570-F | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Asus GeForce RTX 4090 TUF Gaming | Kingston Fury Renegade DDR4-3600 CL16  64 GB | Corsair HX850i | Samsung SSD 980 PRO 500 GB M.2 | Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 | BenQ LCD BL3201PT | HP Reverb G2  | Loogitech G700s | Loogitech MX Ergo | Winwing F/A-18 H.O.T.A.S | TekCreations F18 Hornet Right Replica Panel | Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar FCC | Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder | SimShaker JetPad |

Software:

Windows 11m Home x64 ver.22H2| SteamVR | VoiceAttack | FPSvr | SimShaker for Aviators Beta ver. 2.6.1.0 |

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2021 at 8:32 AM, ruf01au said:

if you mean it would help the bad image quality with force dx11 on... nope, didn't help for me unfortunately.
Currently struggling with a Reverb G1 and and rx6800 xt. So much performance massacred (40 fps instead of 55) by lack of optimization...

Ryzen 5 5600X, RX 6800 XT, 32GB 3600MHz, STRIX B550-E, nvme SSD.