Worth buying in the sale?

TonyStovepipe

don't we currently have "free to play" period? Just try it would be my advice.

I fly the Gazelle quite a lot but I cannot give you a  definite recomendation.  First, everybody is looking for something different in different modules, so what I like says nothing about you might like it. Secondly, the flight model is controversial and for some (not including me) this is a no go. SO again, see for yourself if you like what you find.

I like it because it is super light and agile, it has enough of the "modern stuff" like control helpers/auto pilots, NAV system and RWR so I feel I can do useful things in multiplayer like BlueFlag. I like that it feels like a sports car with rotor blades.

Well, I suppose I will throw my hat into the ring.  I own all the helos, except this one.  I am on the fence with the Gazelle.  I am currently trying it in this free to play period.  Its flight model feels "all or nothing" to me.  Granted, I do not know anything about this aircraft and I have my flight controls set up in a very generic way.  It just seems like I am getting far too much response for the slight amount of input I am giving the flight controls.  I am not a real Gazelle pilot, but from my limited experience, the flight model seems a little wonky.  That is just my opinion compared to the others helos.  It is, by far, more responsive than the other rotorcraft.  Even the Black Shark.  With that said, it is not too difficult to fly.  Just keep everything steady and smooth.  It damn sure is not the Hip.  You can throw a Hip around, but the Gazelle seems like it will throw you around.  I will probably buy this one during the winter sale.  If only just to say I have all the DCS helos.  I sure do love my rotor wings.  And this thing is a pissed off sports car.

Now, as far as a recommendation for you.  Like the previous poster somewhat stated, get the module you want.  If you want the Gazelle, get it.  You rarely go wrong getting a module you want.  But I will say the Black Shark is solid choice for an attack helo.  It does have its own quirks, like it cannot yaw for crap as it does not have a tail rotor.  They all have quirks.  The Hip is a turd when at higher alts and dust protection is on.  The generators die and you lose autopilot.  It is almost like the engines need more power.  The Huey will self destruct its engines if it is pushed even a little too hard.  There are many more things for each.  Those are just what came to mind.  The Gazelle has its quirks, too.  I say buy the Gazelle.  At least try it.  You do not have anything to lose, except time.  I think you should also try the others.  Helos are insanely fun, woefully underrepresented, and criminally underrated in DCS.

I cannot stress enough that people need to take advantage of free to play.  See for yourself.  I found out I am not a fan of the Tomcat or the Tiger.  Will be buying the Persian Gulf Map, though.  Download and see if the Gazelle fits. I downloaded it and now will probably buy it.

My nickel worth of free advice.

ASUS X570 Plus TUF MOBO, Ryzen 3900X CPU, EVGA 2080 Super GPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD

I do own the gazelle, and this is of course my own opinion but I wouldn't recommend it. Mainly because of the flight model that is controversial and that myself, I really don't like. Even polychop themselves said that they'll bring a new FM for the gazelle after the kiowa they're making so perhaps wait for that or even, if the reviews are good, buy the kiowa that will come out. This chopper will probably have a bit more capability than the gazelle.

In any way, the ka50 and especially the mi8 are in my opinion some of the best modules in DCS in terms of overall quality, and I must say the mi8 is my favorite helo to fly with the huey followed closely by the ka50. For the gazelle, I really can't say this much. 

Having said that I still recommend you inform yourself more than simply reading some comments, there are people that really enjoy flying it and you may very well be one of them. Plus the gazelle is quite interesting systems wise and capability wise too. A deeper learning experience than the huey that's for sure but not as deep as the ka50 and about on the same level as the mi8.

Edited by notproplayer3
  • Like 1

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

13 hours ago, shake307 said:

Its flight model feels "all or nothing" to me.  Granted, I do not know anything about this aircraft and I have my flight controls set up in a very generic way.  It just seems like I am getting far too much response for the slight amount of input I am giving the flight controls.

Everyone flying the Gazelle and struggling as you are should try what is reccomended here starting 7:49.

13 hours ago, shake307 said:

[...] woefully underrepresented, and criminally underrated in DCS.

Luckily this will change in 2021 with the Hind, Kiowa and (maybe already) Apache 🥳

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2020 at 9:52 PM, Donglr said:

Everyone flying the Gazelle and struggling as you are should try what is reccomended here starting 7:49.

^^   This.    Reducing control saturation is critically important.

That said, the Gazelle is great, but very different to the others. I have all four currently-available DCS helicopters, and keep going back to the Gazelle. Have been flying it again just today on the Syria map (also highly recommended; definitely better than Persian Gulf).

I personally think the Gazelle would be great as a two person coop module, but it isn't greatly optimized for the realities of single pilot combat. The auto-hover is incredibly picky about engaging and there is no indication for the auto modes unless you have the big red controls indicator open. It also needs an automated pop-up button that would help significantly with weapons employment.

The second thing is that the campaign has great voice acting, but most of the missions are in the middle of the night. Navigating and fighting in the Gazelle in pitch black is not fun for me given DCSs current night lighting. I actually changed all the missions in the editor and am now flying it at dawn/dusk conditions, and in the Ka-50. And I'm really having fun with the campaign.

After changing the axes inputs and learning to use the autopilot button (whatever it is called on the stick) I enjoy flying the Gazelle, but not fighting in it. (That reminds me - the nomenclature for some of controls is quite confusing and hard to figure which one relates to which button/function. It could use some more clarity.)

Edited by wowbagger

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

For me the nights are too dark,  pitch black, without enough ambient light. If you switch on any kind of NVG many of the aircraft have non-dimmable indicator lights somewhere that cause a blinding distraction while NVGs are activated. Plus, helos can be very difficult to navigate at night, constantly having to switch NVG on/off to check instruments but also avoid crashing into trees etc. It's doable, but flying by yourself, it feels neither realistic, nor fun - at least for me. I have no doubt that others feel completely differently. 

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Yes! Very much. Of rotary wings mods, on DCS, Gazelle is my fave. But be forewarned , this is a chili firecracker. Must be on your best all the time while flying it. From start to shut down.  The door gunner version without doors is most liberating. I wish Huey would have the 'Nam, hot'n'high option of flying without crew and cabin doors. Attached is my miracle survival. Only Donald J. Trump approved superior rotary skills, allowed me to survive. 

I don't know if playback requires that you have all used modules. But this one needs Gazelle, obviously, and Syria map.

SA342_miracle_survival.trk

I tried this one out again in the free trial, I was still on the fence about buying it. I decided against it. The flight model, while very different from the others in DCS, doesn't bother me quite as much, especially after Casmo and other pilots have said it feels plausible for a fly by wire helicopter with heavy stability augmentation. But I just couldn't find it fun to execute missions with it. Using the wire-guided missiles, for example, requires auto-hover because the TV tracking is seriously buggy when not in a perfect hover. But auto-hover is the most picky feature ever. Requires getting into a perfect hover in a very twitchy helicopter before initiating it, with no feedback that it's enabled until you test it by moving some control, which then knocks you out of the perfect hover to start all over again. So you spend a minute finagling the helicopter into auto-hover WHILE in plain view of the target you want to fire at (because you can't change altitude while in auto-hover for pop-ups). By that time, you're shot down. It just feels frustrating.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

1 hour ago, kengou said:

Casmo and other pilots have said it feels plausible for a fly by wire helicopter with heavy stability augmentation

Naw, it doesn't have fly by wire, and PC themselves in the end acknowledged that their FM needs some serious tweaking. We don't have to have any discussion about that anymore. I'm no hater of the PC Gazelle, if you know about this fact and take it for what it is, it is still a nice module, because we don't have anything similar in DCS.

1 hour ago, kengou said:

But auto-hover is the most picky feature ever. Requires getting into a perfect hover in a very twitchy helicopter before initiating it, with no feedback that it's enabled until you test it by moving some control, which then knocks you out of the perfect hover to start all over again. So you spend a minute finagling the helicopter into auto-hover WHILE in plain view of the target you want to fire at (because you can't change altitude while in auto-hover for pop-ups). By that time, you're shot down. It just feels frustrating.

Yes, it's true, but with some practice, it can be done quite well. Just try it more often and you will become good with that. It's easier if you hover low behind trees or buildings, because then you have a better visual reference.

For hover altitude control in auto hover, just press "C", and voila, you can control hover altitude manually with the collective.

That being said, I think it's best to have a friend with you in multiplayer, one doing the flying (taming the beast), the other doing the navigation, comms, scanning for targets and aiming/firing. Single player you easily get task saturated and certainly will get killed by the one tank you didn't see while working with the Viviane sight.

Edited by Pilot Ike