Performance of my rig?

So ive been playing DCS for a little over a year now. 

My current setup is a 

I5-6500 3.2GHz

16GB of DDR3 RAM unknown speed

GTX 1060 6GB

Ive been getting an average of about 20-30FPS when playing and i very commonly even drop to 1 frame for a few second which has been very annoying (dont ask how i have coped playing like this for a year i do not know myself lol) 

But ive went out on a limb and treated myself this Christmas.

My new rig consists of:

Ryzen 5 5600x (going to get it overclocked not sure what speed just yet) 

32GB of DDR4 3600mhz Corsair vengeance RAM 

ASUS TUF 570x motherboard 

New SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS that will be dedicated for DCS as currently i have it stored on a HDD which may be the cause of a decent chunk of my problems 

But i am keeping the same GPU so GTX 1060 6GB

I'm just wondering if this upgrade will give any significant boost to my performance? 

Im quite new to building PCs and dont quite understand all of the technical side of things and how everything works so sorry if ive made myself sound stupid but any information on the performance i can expect would be nice 🙂

Edited by Speedy4GT

I'm sure it will be an improvement from your old rig. 32GB of RAM is what you should be having and that CPU you just equipped is no slouch. You should get a smoother experience than before but you are going to want to upgrade your GPU. Depending on your monitor, you should let us know what monitor resolution and refresh rate you are using, you should upgrade accordingly...

1080p = RTX 2060 Super / RX 5700 (Should be able to find in stock)

1440p = RTX 2080 Super / RX 5700XT  (Should be able to find in stock)

4K = RTX 3080 / RX 6800XT  (Ideal for 4K, Hard to find at the moment)

9 hours ago, xSCHIZO45 said:

I'm sure it will be an improvement from your old rig. 32GB of RAM is what you should be having and that CPU you just equipped is no slouch. You should get a smoother experience than before but you are going to want to upgrade your GPU. Depending on your monitor, you should let us know what monitor resolution and refresh rate you are using, you should upgrade accordingly...

1080p = RTX 2060 Super / RX 5700 (Should be able to find in stock)

1440p = RTX 2080 Super / RX 5700XT  (Should be able to find in stock)

4K = RTX 3080 / RX 6800XT  (Ideal for 4K, Hard to find at the moment)

I realised as i was searching for my new specs that the 1060 would be a hard bottleneck to the remainder of my system but i think i would prefer to buy everything else first and then save for a new GPU.

I currently run at 1080p with only a 60Hz monitor but hopefully upgrading to a 4k 144hz monitor at the same time as upgrading my GPU, ive been looking into the new AMD GPUs that are to be released as they seem to be very promising from what ive heard so far but i dont think i will be upgrading my GPU until the whole job conundrum is sorted out as im currently out of a job so i dont want to go too overboard on spending just yet incase. I think once ive built my new rig im going to be able to hold out for atleast until ive finished college and have my apprenticeship so maybe another 5 or 6 months but thank you for the advice and feedback! 

Maybe a RTX 3000 series GPU that fits your budget. I just finished my AMD built after upgrading from a i5 4670k, 16GB, GTX970, SSD combo. Those RTX 3000 series are worth the money.

Edited by Supersonic

MoBo Asus TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) / CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / GPU Asus TUF RTX3080 / RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 @ 3600MHz / V-NAND SSD 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 / PSU Corsair RM750 / CPU Cooler Corsair H100i Platinum / OS Win 10 :pilotfly: 

On 12/26/2020 at 1:52 AM, Speedy4GT said:

But i am keeping the same GPU so GTX 1060 6GB

I'm just wondering if this upgrade will give any significant boost to my performance? 

🙂

Everyone knows that RAM help but there are two things that we also know:

DCS is GPU hungry, especially the VRAM, so I would have upgraded the GPU in priority.

Then the CPU, your choice of the Ryzen 5 5600x, planning to O.C it already isn't necessarily the best option with a Zen 3 unless you use Ryzen Master and simply uses its safe potential, you're not limited by its speed but by your GPU.

The Ryzen 5 5600x is not as much responding to RAM speed than the number of RAM stick as opposed to Ryzen 2  CPUs, DDR4 3200 would do just as well as DDR4 3600 and save you money.

With Ryzen 3 CPUs, a 4X 8GB kit would be better than a 2 X 16 and preferably from the same tested and guaranteed RAM kit as manufacturers can use different chips for the same RAM from a batch to another, as G-Skill support pointed out to me, there might have different integrated circuit (IC) between two kits.

I noticed that not once you mentioned cooling, pay attention to it, or you might find yourself thermally limited especially if you OC your CPU/GPUs, same for your PSU, you need to guaranty a continuous output to your system, 750W continous is a safe minimum for your last configuration in view of a GPU upgrade.

Your last configuration has a GPU bottleneck and it won't be running well and smooth at medium to high graphic settings as it is, what you could do is to find a second had 1080 Ti 11GB and use it O.C with safe setting with Afterburner, it will be far better than what you have and guaranty you a reasonable FPS at medium graphic settings.

Anything higher than medium graphic settings and you'll need 2080 Ti, RTX 3060 Ti, RTX 3070, RX 6800 or RX 6800XT. Personally I'd go for the all AMD or all Intel solution, the only reason why I mixed makers for my actual configuration is because my 1080Ti 11GB was for sale second hand at CEX (UK) in a quasy new state and coming with two years guanranty.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.