Single or multi thread?

Can somebody explain to me why Process Lasso says that all my CPU cores are operating at a similar load with DCS when DCS is supposed to be a single or 2/3 thread user?

This is during a super carrier mission on the deck with loads of AI in the F-14. 

CPU is a ryzen 5 3600.

GPU 2080 Super

RAM 36 Gb 3600 Mhz CL16

I'm not a computer whizz kid but I was expecting to see 1, 2 or 3 cores to be peaking significantly in the Process Lasso screen but that doesn't seem to be happening here. 

The OS scheduler will hop from core to core so fast it looks like all cores are being used. For my CPU I tested restricting cores. No difference after turning on more than 3 cores. You can use Process Lasso to assign core affinity. 

Edited by Sn8ke_iis
typo
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Hi, I know it's an old post but does this mean that CPU wise the i9-11900K would be the best CPU for DCS specifically (based on single thread performance)? At least as of now based on this data (see picture)? 

I am also looking for the best optimized system for DCS specifically to play in VR (reverb g2).

Also interesting to know the best performing GPU for DCS and RAM and SSD if there is any data for that.

It would be nice if the community would have it's own bench test system so we can run a benchtest in-game. Which would be identical flight with all settings the same, with same resolution etc. etc. It would also be nice for the developers to have this data I guess. All benchtest would be automatically submitted and displayed on the site. As a list with hardware used and ranking/leaderboard anonymously or if logged in with username. Just an idea. 

Screenshot_20210315_011558.jpg

Edited by Rens

The best performance to cost CPU for DCS is probably the AMD 5600x right now. However the AMD 3600 is not far behind.

Try using Ryzen Master to overclock your 3600 a little bit. Lock voltage to 1.25v start at 4200mhz and increase it until you get instability. My old 3600 ran fine at 4400mhz with voltage at 1.25v, that ran a F-14 on the super carrier just fine. I am using a 2080ti though.

As for Dram, your pretty much there already. However with Ryzen using 4x8gb sticks 3200mhz C14 is the perfect option. I know G Skill do a kit. It reduces latency, which reduces your minimum framerates. In turn this either removes or reduces the effects of micro stutter.

As for your 2080 super try using MSI Afterburner to overclock a little with an undervolt between 0.950-1.00mv. The overclock will help performance and the undervolt will prevent and clock throttling when your in a target rich environment.

Regarding the SSD I have tried most. An nvme drive is obviously better. However in real world performance a decent Sata 3 SSD plugged into your motherboard is really all you will need. Just check the page file settings are correct. Running DCS inside of Windows Program Files, or, outside in your own custom game folder on a separate drive makes no difference.

Hope this helps.

I just bought a RX6900 XT, it's going to replace my GTX 1080 founders edition. I am going to check how it's going to play with my currently i5-8600K. Then I will maybe upgrade CPU to i9-9900K. I am currently on Crucial Standard (2x8GB) DDR4 DIMM 2133 MHz, and using a SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB to run DCS on. I know I paid way to much for the 6900XT but I had to pull the plug on it...

I know the feeling regarding paying too much for a graphics card ! But it's a relief having one regardless . 

I wonder if you wouldn't be better off upgrading your memory rather than cpu . Say 32gb of 3200-3600 dram ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

5 hours ago, Svsmokey said:

I know the feeling regarding paying too much for a graphics card ! But it's a relief having one regardless . 

I wonder if you wouldn't be better off upgrading your memory rather than cpu . Say 32gb of 3200-3600 dram ?

I am going to do that. But I am curious how much of an improvement the GPU alone would be. I will do some data logging of all of it. I'd like to share it here on the forums one day. After GPU I will be upgrading to a i9-9900k,but I don't believe it will be a big difference compared to the i5-8600k i have currently. I have to see how much bottleneck there is. Then I decide if I first up the RAM. Probably because cheaper.

9 hours ago, Rens said:

I just bought a RX6900 XT, it's going to replace my GTX 1080 founders edition. I am going to check how it's going to play with my currently i5-8600K. Then I will maybe upgrade CPU to i9-9900K. I am currently on Crucial Standard (2x8GB) DDR4 DIMM 2133 MHz, and using a SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB to run DCS on. I know I paid way to much for the 6900XT but I had to pull the plug on it...

The chart below is the Silicon Lottery Binning Statistics.   The 8600K based on the samples they received has a 100% chance of being stable at 4.8GHZ at 1.375V. Their top 98% hit 4.9Ghz at 1.387V, their top 87% of chips hit 5.0Ghz stable @ 1.4V .     

Find a guide on how to overclock your cpu, make sure you can fit an AIO liquid cooler in your case or maybe get a case that will fit one, buy an AIO unit with at least a 2 fan radiator.. You're pretty much gauranteed to be able to OC that thing to 4.8 and I'd be you could even disable the AVX offset as long as your cooling was adequate.   

At that point.. you probably wouldn't notice the difference between your chip and a 9900k as far as DCS World is involved currently.  That could change with Vulkan hopefully by the end of this year, but there's no guarantee that DCS code on a modern API will make better use of multi-core CPUs.  We certainly hope so, a 9900k would be a decent upgrade to an 8600K at that point.  But by then we're just around the corner from AMD and Intels next slap to each other's faces.  

image.png

Edited by Headwarp
  • Like 1
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Hi, thanks, and noted. I have actually managed to overclock it to 5.0+ in the past, but it wasn't that stable at that point anymore. But I should be able to do 4.9.

Anyway the 6900XT arrived, but I have a much bigger issue right now, I created a topic about that here: 

Edited by Rens

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 6:46 PM, Bossco82 said:

"The best performance to cost CPU for DCS is probably the AMD 5600x right now. However the AMD 3600 is not far behind."

Based on what? On the assumption that someone already has an AMD motherboard sure. But if you are doing a new build you can get a 10600K for less than $200 and OC it and and a 5600 won't beat it by any significant margin. Has someone run benchmarks on DCS comparing AMD and Intel? I haven't seen it. 

On 3/14/2021 at 6:23 PM, Rens said:

"Hi, I know it's an old post but does this mean that CPU wise the i9-11900K would be the best CPU for DCS specifically (based on single thread performance)? At least as of now based on this data (see picture)?"

Based on the gaming benchmark data that has come out the 11900K is very disappointing. If you really want Rocket Lake I would just save money buy a 11600K overclock it and hope the next gen Intel CPUs fit your motherboard. See Gamer's Nexus and other usual YT sources. 

Edited by Sn8ke_iis

Well thank you for quoting me in such a way there. I was offering some friendly advice and I did use the word "probably". I should have added "out of the box cpu" to be more specific.

Personally I dont care if someone buys an AMD 5600x an Intel 10600k or a Banana to power their system. 

3600 or 4000... try to lower the Latency at your 3600 setting and you might even beat your 4000 default settings.  3600 16-16-16-36 would be great, if you can even go lower it would be a Jackpot like setting, 14-14-14-34

Good Luck & Patience

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The Ryzen 3 works wonder with lower latency, a good bound with low latency RAM and you're sorted.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 9:31 PM, Rens said:

I went for a i9-990kf, a 6900xt with 32gb ram at 4000mhz but i run it at 3600 because unstable at 4. CPU i run at 4.7 a the moment. Z390 aorus master motherboard.

Sounds like a killer system. If you're running your 4000 MHz RAM at only 3600, you can probably reduce the latencies by a clock or two and squeeze more performance out of it. You have some 'overhead' on tap because you're running it at below rated clock speed.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!