TPOD Question LTIP

Ryuk99

Hi! 

Im currently learning the AV8B and im playing with the TPOD, my Question is, what exactly does LTIP do? The Forum search had no results so im creating a new Topic here. Ive googled it and ive found something with "Laser Target Image Processing" but did not understand anything. Thanks

I've been wondering this myself.

It appears to give a flashing 'R' in place of the 'D' on the HUD that usually flashes to indicate that the TPOD is designating with its laser.

In the absence of other info, I suspect it is either a 'ranging only' mode for the TPOD, or is doing something that requires accurate ranging. 

As JDAMs off the harrier in TOO mode are somewhat.. unpredictable at the best of times, I've been unable to determine if LTIP gives a more accurate result.

LTIP is a separate imaging mode that fires the 1570nm EYES laser and presents a picture-in-picture image of the target based on the laser reflections.

While the EYES laser is firing, it also performs rangefinding functions. 

The picture-in-picture component of LTIP isn't modeled, but rangefinding is.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It seems that LTIP does or at least "might" do something. Essentially JDAMs have a random TLE (target location error) build into their code. Using LTIP reduces or removes this error so whilst you can use JDAMs without LTIP and they will normally hit, they might occasionally miss smaller targets. LTIP should reduce or remove this. I have suspected for some time that JDAMs had something like this built in as I do occasionally get an unexplained miss.

• 8 months later...

I understand what the positive effect of this is but when do i use this while JDAM process. Before designating and pressing TOO or after designation and than pressing TOO or after i already designated and flying to the target

2 hours ago, Gorn_GER said:

I understand what the positive effect of this is but when do i use this while JDAM process. Before designating and pressing TOO or after designation and than pressing TOO or after i already designated and flying to the target

Slew the camera to the target you would like to designate, TDC Down, then LTIP/Fire the laser, then TOO.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Spiretail:

Slew the camera to the target you would like to designate, TDC Down, then LTIP/Fire the laser, then TOO.

Thanks. 

Does the LTIP designation have something to do with INS drifts? 

I found out that they programmed in a drift for designations when you keep flying for a while. 

I once flown in a bigger MP campagne and had to wait for strike until the F/A-18's SEAD was accomplished. 

When it was ready for save JDAM bombing, i slew though all my Ts and found out they all drifted away while flying in IFA. 

Does that stop with using laser ranging or does it all come eith IFA and i have to use NAV instead? 

Edited by Gorn_GER

6 hours ago, Gorn_GER said:

Thanks. 

Does the LTIP designation have something to do with INS drifts? 

I found out that they programmed in a drift for designations when you keep flying for a while. 

I once flown in a bigger MP campagne and had to wait for strike until the F/A-18's SEAD was accomplished. 

When it was ready for save JDAM bombing, i slew though all my Ts and found out they all drifted away while flying in IFA. 

Does that stop with using laser ranging or does it all come eith IFA and i have to use NAV instead? 

As far as I am aware yes, it should help to counteract INS drift for the weapons, keep your aircraft INS set to IFA.