3090 and G2 Experiences and Settings

speed-of-heat

4 minutes ago, impalor said:

Nice mod! Any chance to make it pass the IC?

none at all, as shadows.lua is one that is checked as part of the IC...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 hours ago, impalor said:

Did anyone think to just sand off the legs of the original faceplate? I know there are magnets inside, but maybe they can be pushed deeper somehow. 

That won't work on its own, not without hacking away at the nose rest and making room for the cable connector. And it still wouldn't address the narrow width of the faceplate, at least for me anyway.

Ryzen 9 3900X @4.6Ghz | ASUS STRIX ROG 570-F Gaming | 32GB HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3AK2-16 DDR4-3200 | Corsair Force MP600 1TB (OS and Games) | MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio | HP Reverb G2

On 12/27/2020 at 5:26 PM, javelina1 said:

printing now as we speak.  About a 12 hour print.  Once finished, I'll post pics.

Hi javelina1, what 3D Printer do you have, I'm thinking of buying one but don't want it to be too small.

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

1 hour ago, Terry said:

Hi javelina1, what 3D Printer do you have, I'm thinking of buying one but don't want it to be too small.

Hi Terry,

I'm using a Creality CR-10S.  It's probably one of the most modded 3D printers you can find.  Plenty of "stuff" out there to read up about it.  Send me a PM, if you wish more info.  I'll be happy to share.  It took a bit, after the modding, and configuration settings, etc.  But I'm very happy with it.

Also, I'm using a Raspberry Pi 4 as my print server.  Running Octoprint, it's great for managing a 3D printer.

thx,

-Jav

Edited by javelina1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

6 hours ago, impalor said:

Curious why. How can one cheat by having custom shadows?

By making shadows very large it might be possible to see another players plane too easily... but, countries.db is another and I have no idea how that can be used to cheat either... I guess somethings are historical, some might impact stability, some might be anti cheat protection etc...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Hi, you mention you run DCS at 80%, what about the general setting?

I was also curious about image quality, after much testing I have found that NOT running MSAA produces too many shimmering jaggies around the edges of things. I can’t find any other setting that reduces this apart from cranking the resolution up to unplayable figures. You don’t seem run any AA, and I wondered how that looked for you? 

With my 2080ti I  have to settle for approx 45 FPS-using motion reprojection to get the best quality visuals. 

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I put the general setting at 100% (3168 x 3096), I will update my first post later today, to reflect that.  

Image quality is awesome, I can see everything I need to an read the displays etc... I can see the meatball.

MSAA, sigh, it’s a tough one, for me the problem is this, it does significantly reduce or remove shimmer...but it is an absolute frame time rate hog... I can live with the shimmer; I can’t live with dropping to less than 45fps on approach to the carrier... or in combat or certain maps being unusable (the channel).  So your mileage may vary, and your experience is yours to manage 🙂 I suspect if you will need to reduce the resolution to keep MSAA on ... that’s a compromise we have to make with the state of dcs today.

Graphic settings in this game are always a compromise, and there is no right answer for everyone, some people can live with shadows or MSAA or mirrors off etc... the error that a lot of people have is in assuming that they can turn everything on and it will be fine... start low work higher

Hi, Just wanted to say thanks for the detailed write up! I've ordered a new system (with a 3090) and will be 'going live' with my G2 when it lands, currently on the Oculus S, (which has served me well). 

I have only had a quick 'tinker' with the G2 so far, so your settings will be invaluable!

Cheers.

• Like 1

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

I implemented all the mods and registry hacks I could find and now happy flying at 45 fps with 100% auto SS, 2x MSAA, and cabin-only shadows. But I have a much older system! So the game engine is really really bad, and there is no incentive to upgrade hardware ((

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

1 hour ago, Ratcatcher said:

Hi, Just wanted to say thanks for the detailed write up! I've ordered a new system (with a 3090) and will be 'going live' with my G2 when it lands, currently on the Oculus S, (which has served me well). 

I have only had a quick 'tinker' with the G2 so far, so your settings will be invaluable!

Cheers.

You are in for a treat.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

57 minutes ago, impalor said:

I implemented all the mods and registry hacks I could find and now happy flying at 45 fps with 100% auto SS, 2x MSAA, and cabin-only shadows. But I have a much older system! So the game engine is really really bad, and there is no incentive to upgrade hardware ((

H i buddy, hope all is well! This is what gets me though, you are basically running what I do ( have to, to get the right balance of performance and quality) , yet my card is way more powerful.

What do you mean by 100% auto SS?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

quick update, still doing a little work with the new mask setup.  The first pic is "stock", and the second shows the recent face plate I finished printing yesterday.  The new plate definitely sits up a bit closer.  I also just received my new gaskets via VRcover today...  I plan to Velcro that onto the face plate, once ready.

I'm now printing out this setup, since the author did a remix to fit the gasket I just purchased.   That print should finish in about 6 or 7 hours.  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4673045

Also, I need to order some N52 4mm OD x 5mm magnets, which I'll hunt down today.  But for the mock-up and initial fitment purposes, I should be fine with out the magnets.  I'll post further updates.

-Jav

AIg6Faa.jpg

3tAy8Wq.jpg

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

9 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

H i buddy, hope all is well! This is what gets me though, you are basically running what I do ( have to, to get the right balance of performance and quality) , yet my card is way more powerful.

What do you mean by 100% auto SS?

Meant to say I did not downsample, left on Auto

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

My G2 is due to arrive in a week - any mods that you'd recommend for the HMD itself? I need to get new VR prescription lenses, as I don't believe the original Reverb add-on lenses will fit?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

On 12/26/2020 at 10:36 PM, speed-of-heat said:

My specs are in my signature block at the bottom of this post.

TLDR

Performance is acceptable on all maps, I get a steady 90 FPS in most normal free flight conditions and between 45 and 90 in combat or very low level  or the channel map of over Reigate 45 FPS, with some very minor edge cases for low level strafing where it flicks in and out of 45 which is "acceptable" , I don't play multiplayer  very often so YMMV.

Performance,  comfort, clarity & tracking are all much improved, subjectively I get a "good" FOV certainly no worse than the G1 maybe a little better. 

HPET - I had  forgotten I had done this years ago, but turn it off  How To Improve Gaming Performance By Disabling HPET Settings? (silicophilic.com)...

NVidia Settings - this is my current settings for Nvidia, i don't use AA so i force it off here as well which bizarrely seems to buy me some ms , texture filtering - quality is a massively misunderstood setting, basically at quality it dithers an object in an attempt to make it smoother ...  turning it to high performance means you get crisp readable text (dials and such) and more perf...

nvidia control panel settings.png

Clarity is much improved how much this is due to running at a functionally higher resolution I can't say for sure (I currently run at a steam setting of 80% for DCS (2836 x 2768) and general is set too 100%, I am still using the shader mod as it does still have a frame time reduction which is useful for getting 90FPS, also Texture filtering Quality is set to High Performance:

Screen_201226_213656.png

I keep my in game Pixel Density to 1.0.

IPD Adjustment, may also have improved clarity for me, as my IPD is 68.5...  so 68 just gets me there!  

Performance For shadows I do use a mod to reduce the frame rate impact (Shadows Reduced Frame Rate Impact.zip), which gives me cockpit shadows but essentially nothing from other aircraft (not sure who i stole it from, sorry), which enables me to hit 45 FPS on the super carrier and still keep shadows active for cockpit immersion.  Now if you absolutely "MAX a map", then yes I will get CPU bottlenecked, but for most of what I do that's not the case.

I am still using my version of Kegety's shader mod (as per my sig, Clear Water and TreeFix) as it does increase the 90FPS window enough (about 0.5 to .8ms GPU frame time) to "be more present at 90" (dropping a few percent in steam SS would likely enable you turn that off .. but then you are further compromising clarity ...  

If you want the full 3168 x 3096 experience, you will get a constant 45FPS or 60 if you can deal with the "flickering" (I can't), the clarity advantages of this are amazing, but, on The channel  and other intensive maps/missions you start to run into perf problems and drop below 45 FPS.

Memory; what can i tell you, we know that memory reported  is allocated not used ... that said maps like the channel allocate 13Gb+ of vRAM on my settings, i can reduce the amount of memory allocated by reducing the settings... I dont know if this impacts anything (and i have no easy way doing deterministic testing on it) but I "feel" that it does, anyway I'm glad I got more than 10.

I do run a slight OC on my 3090, its XC3 so its not built to OC  with a power limit of 104 and a temp limit of 91 (it doesnt go above 79 in game and is typically running at 2010 or 2025Mhz with a custom Voltage/Frequency Curve:

Voltage Curev.png

Tracking, much has been said of the G2's tracking, I am comparing it with the G1, which always used to loose tracking when I looked down in the cockpit, to switch on the OBOGS or something, I dont get that anymore. so for me the tracking is a big improvement. 

Comfort, I really don't know where to start I liked my G1, but, I always felt tight in it I had to put foam pads in the nose and forehead to make it "comfortable" and the cable... The G2 its completely dark, its lighter and that is noticeable, the cable is no longer a constant drag, and the headset... the headset isn't "crushing"  against my ears anymore... its comfortable... I can wear it for hours and not notice it...  

In summary a lot of money spent for good effects. YMMV.  Anyway I hope it helps some people... 

Good to read, currently tuning system for g2 with 3090. How come the negative LOD bias is allow. The thuds guide says this should be clamp and apparently allow can introduce aliasing?

52 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Good to read, currently tuning system for g2 with 3090. How come the negative LOD bias is allow. The thuds guide says this should be clamp and apparently allow can introduce aliasing?

it's a straight perf trade off... try it both ways see what works for you, I just tried this both clamped and allow it didn't seem to make a difference to either visual quality or perf either way 🙂 I am not using AA so maybe thats a thing... 

Edited by speed-of-heat
just tried it both ways

not the best picture, but I think it illustrates the point.  the lower face plate is the one I saw that was recommended for the VRcover, (Odyssey+).  You can definitely see that it's wider at the wings, which is what they're noting is needed for that particular gasket. 

Unfortunately, I went against my better 3D printing instincts and went with the default settings that was noted in the model instructions.  It feels flimsy...  During the raft clean up, I did snap part of it, but was able to use some Bob Smith CA to get her back together.  I'm now printing a second version of that particular face plate.  Using a layer height of .20, and an infill of 40%.  (Twice the recommended level).  That should sturdy things up. 

Also, my magnets have a chance of being delivered today.  Though the second print of the face plate won't finish until later this evening.  Regardless, I'll provide an update.

regards,

-Jav

hfSjdI7.jpg

Edited by javelina1
syntax
  • Like 1

At the moment I am using the G2 with glasses so I am very much enjoying the space and comfort that this headset offers as standard.

My VR opticians are inbound at some point in the new year and then I will re-evaluate.

I am, also running 2 X Msaa with DCS Msaa window (?) set at 1.

I am running at 60% steam SS with DCS PD at 1 (this will never change....probably).

Fixed terrain shadows would have been nice with the g1 and I still dream about having them with the G2.... terrain shadows are far too expensive for me. 

I will next drop down to 54% steam SS as 60% just causes too many drops below 45 fps when I am online and or in complex missions.

I am locked and loaded to 45 fps..... anything higher is just a fairy tale to me.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

7 minutes ago, Rogue Trooper said:

At the moment I am using the G2 with glasses so I am very much enjoying the space and comfort that this headset offers as standard.

My VR opticians are inbound at some point in the new year and then I will re-evaluate.

I am, also running 2 X Msaa with DCS Msaa window (?) set at 1.

I am running at 60% steam SS with DCS PD at 1 (this will never change....probably).

Fixed terrain shadows would have been nice with the g1 and I still dream about having them with the G2.... terrain shadows are far too expensive for me. 

I will next drop down to 54% steam SS as 60% just causes too much drop below 45 fps when I am online and or in complex missions.

I am locked and loaded to 45 fps..... anything higher is just a fairy tale to me.

Try turning off MSAA, if you turn it on you will be on45 , even on a 3090!

ultimately it comes down to what you want more, for me it’s not 90, it’s dropping below 45 on the carrier or worse just on approach to it...

you might also try the shader mod, which will help with the edge cases where you just flick out of tolerance..

I find there is too much shimmer without MSAA.

But I will try your settings for sure and without MSAA but for me.... switching off flat shadows gave me 2X MSAA.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

3 minutes ago, Rogue Trooper said:

I find there is too much shimmer without MSAA.

But I will try your settings for sure and without MSAA but for me.... switching off flat shadows gave me 2X MSAA.

I ended up going with 100% native resolution on my Reverb G2 and had no problem disabling MSAA. Game looks great.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I tried it with my 2080ti but no... no good.

I fly choppers and I turn fast below 10 metres altitude,

A tight turn creates a slight stutter as a fast detailed terrain whips through your upward looking field of view .... The helicopter is perfectly controllable but it just pulls you out of the all engaging DCS VR world and back into the real.... the perfection is gone.

Perfect 45 fps must be maintained for me.... no higher.... no less.

VR is just soooo damned good.

Never would I have imagined the true bliss of sitting in a 20 million dollar weapon...... Never!

Edited by Rogue Trooper