Aged look

JTAnimal

My wife bought the F14 module for me for Christmas. I’m new to DCS and still learning the F18 So I had not looked into buying this bird yet, but who doesn’t love the Tomcat! Trying to learn startup is a bit difficult with the aged look and the wearing of letters on switches in the cockpit. Is there any mods to adjust it or am I stuck and deal with it? Thanks.. 

• Like 1

I don’t know if there are any non-VR based mods but there is this one. It helps people with VR to see labels and markings in the cockpit by making them a bit larger and bolder, it may help you. I’m not sure if this would work in multiplayer. 

http://digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313661

Edited by ak12546
Grammar

Modules

Combined Arms, Super Carrier, A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, F-14, ,F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, P-51, Su-25, Su-27, MiG-21, MiG-29, Ajs-37, UH-1H, Ka-50, Sa-342

Terrains

Nevada Test and Training Range, The Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, Syria

41 minutes ago, Kristoffer79 said:

It passes IC, no problem at all. Have been using this mod for several months in multiplayer.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Was just paraphrasing the comments in the link, it apparently didn’t? It’s not something I have used, so cannot provide first hand knowledge of the file.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Jester Assisted Start is pretty good and covers almost everything you need in the game (except turning on oxygen).

If you want to be complete, get one of the startup checklists and add it to your kneeboard in your saved games/DCS/kneeboard folder.  

I tried the clean cockpit mod but honestly didn't help much.  

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

The sim looks real good but I think they went a little over the top on the aging look. I have a unique perspective as I was stationed at Miramar back in 1980, along with 2 west pac’s,  I was an AME (ejection seats and liquid oxygen) so I sat in many Tomcats and I don’t remember them looking this warn. Still it’s a good sim and DCS is awesome. 

• Like 2

I guess not much salt water at Miramar you had there. Many discussions ago it was concluded with the help of subject matter experts that it was really a common state for the carrier Cats.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I meant no insult, real good sim, you can tell lots of hard work went into this module. As a ground crew member, we took real good care of the planes. Those switches, dials, cockpit components are all removable. A problem came up, they would take out the whole section send it out to be reworked and put in a reworked component. That was my point! Sorry if I touched a nerve. 

• Like 2

My understanding is that the cockpit textures are largely based off actual photography of a real F-14 cockpit in a museum. This means the weathering is totally realistic - but for a plane at the very end of it's lifespan. 

Ok so in DCS we are flying F14 in today’s real world time?  That doesn’t make any sense, the Navy is no longer using the F14 on carrier operations.  But hay guys I’m not making a big deal about this, I was just having problems making sure I had the correct settings.  but now I’m using chucks guide and that helps.  So that problem is a dead issue. Thanks to all for your replies, I don’t mean to make an issue here, it’s all good. Love the plane, brings back memories. 

I am having another problem, the breaks don’t seem to be working, I just ran over a yellow shirt and drove off the deck, Jester was not happy!!  I’m using a ThrustMaster rudder, I have the breaks setup the same as on the F18, Left & Right. Is there something I may be missing?

Ok so in DCS we are flying F14 in today’s real world time?  That doesn’t make any sense, the Navy is no longer using the F14 on carrier operations.  But hay guys I’m not making a big deal about this, I was just having problems making sure I had the correct settings.  but now I’m using chucks guide and that helps.  So that problem is a dead issue. Thanks to all for your replies, I don’t mean to make an issue here, it’s all good. Love the plane, brings back memories. 

I am having another problem, the breaks don’t seem to be working, I just ran over a yellow shirt and drove off the deck, Jester was not happy!!  I’m using a ThrustMaster rudder, I have the breaks setup the same as on the F18, Left & Right. Is there something I may be missing?
It's a game. You can fly whatever you want, whenever you want. The "brakes" could temporarily stop working if you taxi with anti skid on. Make sure it's off on the boat. Easy way to check if your brakes are set up right is to look at your pedals and push them in and see if they move. You might need to invert them in the settings.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Anti skid was off. I also had no breaks on land base. I did have to revise the rudder but I didn’t try reversing the breaks. The funny thing about rudder, the rudder pedals movement in game, was moving correct but the searing was wrong direction,  That’s confusing. The breaks were moving in controls axis setup page. I will have to look at it more tomorrow, work early tomorrow.  I do appreciate the help! Thanks all..