Training squadrons?

Allentc2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 7:57 PM, jetkid50 said:

@Allentc2may I ask what module you would like to learn?

LOL I have plenty to choose from. Well, okay, by MY standards, I have plenty. Honestly, I'm so new to DCS I am sure I don't yet appreciate how hard learning to effectively fly the high-fidelity modules. I figure I'll get started on the Flaming Cliffs aircraft, and probably focus on the Spitfire (as it is, IMHO, the most gorgeous airplane ever made LOL).

If I could give you a tip, go and learn what you can yourself about an aircraft that you’d like to focus on, if it’s capable of aerial refuelling or carrier landing then spend some time getting those things to a reasonable standard. I would also suggest spending some time practicing formation flying and reviewing some videos on basic fighter manoeuvres. There’s some really good stuff out there on this topic from people like growling sidewinder and on the other items from people like a Redkite (Youtuber). Having your backside handed to you on the just dogfighting server, particularly in the 1 vs 1 arena is invaluable and will make you a useful asset to any squadron. 

You certainly don’t need to be perfectly proficient at these things before hooking up with a squadron but not many squadrons will want to take you through the basics, they’d prefer to spend their time refining the above and bringing you into line with their particular standard procedures. 

I fly in real life albeit only in a civilian capacity but I had never flown formation and to be honest found this more difficult than I first expected, but like anything with practice comes proficiency. I now fly with a squadron that consists of a number of current and former military pilots and they’re constantly teaching me plenty. 

In short, learn what you can independently then ask for refinement and more detailed teaching. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.