Set all airfield lights to always on

Yurgon

Not sure if it has been fixed by now, but until recently, airfields in the Caucasus and NTTR maps (and probably in other maps as well) would not switch on the runway and taxi lights when the mission started at day time and continued into night time. I don't recall how often I had to land on NVGs into a black hole in an otherwise illuminated city when an MP session took a little longer than anticipated.

As a quick and cheap workaround, I suggest to switch on all runway and taxi lights, always and unconditionally, until a solid system is implemented that can switch the lights on and off according to visibility conditions or according to ATC requirements.

Ideally, at a later time, it will become possible to control runway lights via the Mission Editor and in-game via Combined Arms.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

Hm, just gave it a quick test in the ME (Caucasus, Kobuleti - standard weather - 28/12/2020 - Mission start 1600 then accelerating time) and at around 1710 road lights turn on, at around 1728 runway and airport lights turn on.

I'd be more than glad if my request came after it was finally fixed. 😄

But whenever I tested it, it seemed okay in SP but then remained broken in MP. Just last week in the old stable, we had a night start, and the first flight returning home had runway lights, but for consecutive flights the lights were off again until we contacted the tower. With the broken and useless state of the ATC, we don't even bother and shifted all our freqs so we don't get the annoying "unable to clear for take-off... cleared for take-off", which itself seems to be fairly far removed from any actual traffic there is.

Lights always on would certainly solve the problem in the meantime, until there's a really solid, well working system in place.

You're supposed to contact tower every time to turn them on. Many RL airfields are the same if not super busy.

''ATC IS BROKEN!!!''

*doesn't use the existing functionality*

''SEE HOW BROKE IT IS?''

*shrugs*

It's not perfect, but it's not a bug or ''missing feature'' persay and is approximately accurate.

• Like 2

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

58 minutes ago, zhukov032186 said:

You're supposed to contact tower every time to turn them on. Many RL airfields are the same if not super busy.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that usually the case at uncontrolled airports, and less so at controlled ones?

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

31 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that usually the case at uncontrolled airports, and less so at controlled ones?

Yeah, absolutely. But even some ''controlled'' airports aren't controlled 24/7. In either case, if nobody's home you usually squawk on a pre-determined channel (typically shown on flight charts, and usually just a couple mic clicks) and it turns the lights on for you.

Like I said, it's not perfect (for example Tbilisi would probably be active at all times, being a larger international airport) but it's not outright ''wrong'' either, as you would normally contact tower anyway.

In DCS case, it's technically a ''wartime environment'' so most cities and airports would be blacked out, anyway.

Edited by zhukov032186
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, zhukov032186 said:

It's not perfect, but it's not a bug or ''missing feature'' persay and is approximately accurate.

Well, there was this MP session where about half a dozen pilots contacted (in-game) Nellis for landing, and it remained dark all the time. Which is exactly the opposite of what I meant by "solid implementation".

Dunno about you, but if we call the tower and the lights stay off, I would call this rather non-accurate.

3 hours ago, zhukov032186 said:

In DCS case, it's technically a ''wartime environment'' so most cities and airports would be blacked out, anyway.

Except they aren't, outside of the WWII maps maybe. Nothing is blacked out on those maps, so the idea that the airports should be dark because technically there's a war going on seems pretty weird when all towns remain lit like a Christmas tree, and the airports are easy enough to target because they're basically the only dark spot all around.

Like I said, it would be amazing if the airports lights, and maybe even the city and road lights, could be player controlled. But until such a time comes, I find it rather immersion-breaking, having to land on a pitch black international airport on NVGs in a peacetime mission with no shots fired in anger.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

Like I said, it would be amazing if the airports lights, and maybe even the city and road lights, could be player controlled. 

Yeah, agreed. Just a simple on / off toggle, or ideally a trigger similar to the clear trees thingy where you could blackout an area.