Is VR As Good As This?

C3PO

Just stumbled upon this ... if VR in the Rift looks as good as this, I'm sold! Stunning visuals ... 

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

That's what his capture card is seeing, which is the same as what would be displayed on the monitor... I highly doubt that's what he sees "through the lens".

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

There is no way looking at a Youtube video could provide the effect than when donning a VR headset.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

VR... try it.

But to get good smooth high definition results on a G2 you will need top shelf PC equipment: Ryzen 5000 or >5GHz late gen Intel, 32GB of fast low latency RAM and either 6800 XT, 3090 or 6900 XT. So it gets expensive to do it well. In reality we could do with stronger GPUs than even what Ampere and NAVI 2 are offering us... you still need to turn settings down considerably to get 90 fps.

But with the right kit VR is good... really good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Of course you can't replicate the VR experience on YouTube.  I didn't think the OP was asking for something that obvious.  I thought he was asking if the visual quality matches that video such as readability of cockpit gauges etc.  Which I think it does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sr. said:

That's what his capture card is seeing, which is the same as what would be displayed on the monitor... I highly doubt that's what he sees "through the lens".

True looks like the mirror exe used, also he uses a CV1 so no way does it replicate VR the reverb is close.

Edited by freehand

57 minutes ago, Milou said:

VR... try it.

But to get good smooth high definition results on a G2 you will need top shelf PC equipment: Ryzen 5000 or >5GHz late gen Intel, 32GB of fast low latency RAM and either 6800 XT, 3090 or 6900 XT. So it gets expensive to do it well. In reality we could do with stronger GPUs than even what Ampere and NAVI 2 are offering us... you still need to turn settings down considerably to get 90 fps.

But with the right kit VR is good... really good.

But do we need 90 FPS in VR? I see so many people complain that they don’t get the same FPS as on flat screen. I have a Rift S and can 40 FPS in most cases. On the super carrier in get 25-30 FPS. And it very enjoyable and great immersion.

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

1 minute ago, DutchCoolHand said:

But do we need 90 FPS in VR? I see so many people complain that they don’t get the same FPS as on flat screen. I have a Rift S and can 40 FPS in most cases. On the super carrier in get 25-30 FPS. And it very enjoyable and great immersion.

I get a solid 45 in Caucuses & Syria with tress set at 75% and decently High settings (even MSAA x2) PD 1.0 and SteamVR res set to default. I can read most of what's in the Cockpits and what I squint at is where the VR zoom button comes in handy.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

6 hours ago, DutchCoolHand said:

Same than motion sickness, people react differently to VR fps numbers. 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Good point on the motion sickness, I don’t have it even on lower FPS. But I do a trick 😀 when I make a left or right sharp turn, I move move my head to the side to give my inner ear the sensation of leaning into that turn.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I think that guy has had one to many RedBulls...

Also VR is in general much more awesome in actuality but it is impossible to show on a flat medium.

It is also quite a bit of work which is what turns most off compared to trackIr, or whatever they have gotten used over the past ten years.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

10 hours ago, DutchCoolHand said:

But do we need 90 FPS in VR?

No, I don't think you do need 90 fps. As someone earlier said the consistency of the frames is probably just as important as the average fps itself (within reason). I think mileage varies person to person, but for me at least 40 fps with consistency is good enough. However, I am prepared to sacrifice some quality options to get higher consistent fps now that I have a high refresh VR headset with the G2.

And I just managed to buy a 6900 XT for delivery in a few days should I should be able to share my experience with that to forum users. Upgrading from a 2080 Ti. (And yes, I know, I know... Hardware Unboxed and everybody including their goldfish have said that the 6900 XT is poor value and it can't do DLSS or raytracing anywhere like Ampere. My only gaming application is DCS and I have the money to upgrade from 6800 XT despite the poor marginal fps return on investment.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

23 minutes ago, Bob_Bushman said:

I think that guy has had one to many RedBulls...

If you're talking about the shaking, we all shake.  Our brain compensates for it.  If you were to put GoPro on your head without motion stabilization, you'd get similar footage.

No just his general intensity and hype during narration.

I don't mean that in any derogatory way. He's certainly better at it than the Grim Reapers.

I'm well aware how much my box is rattling around, probably a bit worse than most honestly in that regard.

But as he states in the video, he didn't record live, it is a saved track where he has recorded from the replay of.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

12 minutes ago, Milou said:

No, I don't think you do need 90 fps. As someone earlier said the consistency of the frames is probably just as important as the average fps itself (within reason). I think mileage varies person to person, but for me at least 40 fps with consistency is good enough. However, I am prepared to sacrifice some quality options to get higher consistent fps now that I have a high refresh VR headset with the G2.

And I just managed to buy a 6900 XT for delivery in a few days should I should be able to share my experience with that to forum users. Upgrading from a 2080 Ti. (And yes, I know, I know... Hardware Unboxed and everybody including their goldfish have said that the 6900 XT is poor value and it can't do DLSS or raytracing anywhere like Ampere. My only gaming application is DCS and I have the money to upgrade from 6800 XT despite the poor marginal fps return on investment.)

I look forward to your reports, I currently run a 2070 and was thinking a 3080 when I get a new processor. But 6800/6900 are looking better and like you my main use Is DCS. I know I will need a need VR headset too, this hobby is expensive 

Edited by DutchCoolHand

I've got a pretty decent setup and the Rift S. It's weird, in many ways it looks better AND worse than this video. One of the biggest problem is contrast ratio, which is a failure of the Rift S screen I guess. It's quite washed out compared to even a budget IPS monitor. On the other hand I do get much better framerates, because I have the 3090RTX, but again I have had to play with many settings to get it where I want it to be (and Im still not really happy). In many ways I feel like I'm getting great performance but my image quality suffers as a result. 

I wonder how people are managing 90FPS with the G2, as I can't get a consistent 90 (well even 80FPS) in the Rift S when I use similar settings. DCS is weird that way. Your mileage may vary. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

36 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I've got a pretty decent setup and the Rift S. It's weird, in many ways it looks better AND worse than this video. One of the biggest problem is contrast ratio, which is a failure of the Rift S screen I guess. It's quite washed out compared to even a budget IPS monitor. On the other hand I do get much better framerates, because I have the 3090RTX, but again I have had to play with many settings to get it where I want it to be (and Im still not really happy). In many ways I feel like I'm getting great performance but my image quality suffers as a result. 

I wonder how people are managing 90FPS with the G2, as I can't get a consistent 90 (well even 80FPS) in the Rift S when I use similar settings. DCS is weird that way. Your mileage may vary. 

If your at angels 30 + and no other person on the planet is flying and the weather is fine sunny no wind  the g2 will hit constant 90 frames   🤣

3 hours ago, DutchCoolHand said:

Good point on the motion sickness, I don’t have it even on lower FPS. But I do a trick 😀 when I make a left or right sharp turn, I move move my head to the side to give my inner ear the sensation of leaning into that turn.

Yeah leaning and dropping your shoulder is a neat trick!

7 hours ago, DutchCoolHand said:

I look forward to your reports, I currently run a 2070 and was thinking a 3080 when I get a new processor. But 6800/6900 are looking better and like you my main use Is DCS. I know I will need a need VR headset too, this hobby is expensive 

Not sure if you read this thread... worth reading as there is some data comparing the new top four cards against the 2080 Ti. Also some discussion on fps stability and VRAM limitiations. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 12/28/2020 at 8:59 PM, C3PO said:

Just stumbled upon this ... if VR in the Rift looks as good as this, I'm sold! Stunning visuals ... 

In answer to your question-not quite and definitely not in a Rift, but with a G2 and a 3090 and with a bit of knowledge of how to set things up, it is getting very close to what you're seeing here in my experience.  

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

On 12/28/2020 at 8:59 PM, C3PO said:

Good luck with the rift C3PO, I think you will find a videa capture quite different to goggs on.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.