possible bug, dogfight override doesnt put the aim9x into cool seeker mode.

Ignore the very first seconds of video coz i recorded it in single player with nvidia replay and the shortcut also put dcs into slow time mode. but i put dcs back into normal time acceleration immediately

The video shows me toggling between the dogfight override mode, the regular airtoair mode and missile override mode. The sidewinder doesnt consistently go into cooling seekerheads. controls used was warthog hotas throttle "special for joystick hotas" control dogfight override. I used that control because it seems most consistent for a 3 position toggle switch on the warthog throttle (the grey 3 position throttle, neutral and forward and aft positions)

• 1 month later...

did anyone look at this problem? is it working as intended? I read chuck's guide and it claimed there that when selecting from regular AA mode into -> dogfight override then the aim9x should be put into cool seeker mode, but it is not being done consistently as shown on video. sometimes it just transitions from AA mode into aim9x and warm seeker in dogfight

4 hours ago, Steelpanther said:

did anyone look at this problem? is it working as intended? I read chuck's guide and it claimed there that when selecting from regular AA mode into -> dogfight override then the aim9x should be put into cool seeker mode, but it is not being done consistently as shown on video. sometimes it just transitions from AA mode into aim9x and warm seeker in dogfight

Although chuck's F-16 guide should not be used as reference metarial, this is true. The Aim-9 missile are automiatically cooled in DGFT and MSL OVR master modes ONLY when the Master Arm switch is in the ARM position. If this switch is in SIMULATE or OFF the missile will not be automatically cooled.
If this isn't the way it is currently working in DCS I recommend you to write a bug report on it and attach a track file.

14 hours ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

Although chuck's F-16 guide should not be used as reference metarial, this is true. The Aim-9 missile are automiatically cooled in DGFT and MSL OVR master modes ONLY when the Master Arm switch is in the ARM position. If this switch is in SIMULATE or OFF the missile will not be automatically cooled.
If this isn't the way it is currently working in DCS I recommend you to write a bug report on it and attach a track file.

that is the case atleast for me that it wont go to cool seeker. Master arm was on with amraams selected. Air-to-Air mastermode was selected. Then I pressed dogfight override and I had bore aim9x with warm seeker selected. It was only after I exited from dogfight mode back into AAM with those aim9x selected, and then back again into dogfight mode, that the cool seeker arrived with aim9x cool seeker selected. Master arm was on constantly. I have the trackfile here but  i dont know where to put the bugreport. My control setup was warthog throttle and I used boat switch as the DGFT and MSL OVR switch in controls. Clearly my controls work, otherwise they would be unable to even switch between DGFT and AAM and MSL OVR. The controls I setup for the boat switch was called in its category designation "special for joystick, throttle grip, hotas"  dogfight missile override switch dogfight/center, and dogfight missile override switch missile override/center.

F-16_bug_report_dogfight_override_aim9_cool_seeker.trk F-16_bug_report_dogfight_override_aim9_cool_seeker_2.trk

3 minutes ago, Steelpanther said:

that is the case atleast for me that it wont go to cool seeker. Master arm was on with amraams selected. Air-to-Air mastermode was selected. Then I pressed dogfight override and I had bore aim9x with warm seeker selected. It was only after I exited from dogfight mode back into AAM with those aim9x selected, and then back again into dogfight mode, that the cool seeker arrived with aim9x cool seeker selected. Master arm was on constantly. I have the trackfile here but  i dont know where to put the bugreport. My control setup was warthog throttle and I used boat switch as the DGFT and MSL OVR switch in controls. Clearly my controls work, otherwise they would be unable to even switch between DGFT and AAM and MSL OVR. The controls I setup for the boat switch was called in its category designation "special for joystick, throttle grip, hotas"  dogfight missile override switch dogfight/center, and dogfight missile override switch missile override/center.

F-16_bug_report_dogfight_override_aim9_cool_seeker.trk 724.7 kB · 1 download F-16_bug_report_dogfight_override_aim9_cool_seeker_2.trk 858.8 kB · 1 download

Post the bug report here: image.png

so to reiterate the entering into dogfight mode only seems to cool the seeker of the aim9x, only if the aim9x was already selected weapon in the original mode with warm seeker e.g.  in the Air-to-air master mode. Then when I press dogfight override it will actually go into dogfight override mode and select aim9x with cool seeker.

9 minutes ago, Steelpanther said:

so to reiterate the entering into dogfight mode only seems to cool the seeker of the aim9x, only if the aim9x was already selected weapon in the original mode with warm seeker e.g.  in the Air-to-air master mode. Then when I press dogfight override it will actually go into dogfight override mode and select aim9x with cool seeker.

Yeah, that sounds very strange and not correct behaviour. Forgot to mention this, probably even more important than what this discussion was originally about. When selecting COOL in ANY mastermode, the missile will go into cool mode, and will STAY in that mode until changed otherwise by the pilot NO MATTER the master mode. This means that you can go COOL in A-A mastermode, switch to dogfight mastermode and it will stay on cool. This is independent of MASTER ARM switch position, and is essential to the operation of the sidewinder as the seeker is practically useless without being cooled. And, if you're in MASTER ARM switch ARM, the missile will automatically go into COOL in both dogfight mastermode and missile override, and then stay cool until the pilot commands otherwise independent of mastermode and MASTER ARM switch position. If this isn't currently how it works in dcs, and from what you have told me I have a feeling it isn't. Please do make an bug report on this, if you don't make one I will. 

5 minutes ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

Yeah, that sounds very strange and not correct behaviour. Forgot to mention this, probably even more important than what this discussion was originally about. When selecting COOL in ANY mastermode, the missile will go into cool mode, and will STAY in that mode until changed otherwise by the pilot NO MATTER the master mode. This means that you can go COOL in A-A mastermode, switch to dogfight mastermode and it will stay on cool. This is independent of MASTER ARM switch position, and is essential to the operation of the sidewinder as the seeker is practically useless without being cooled. And, if you're in MASTER ARM switch ARM, the missile will automatically go into COOL in both dogfight mastermode and missile override, and then stay cool until the pilot commands otherwise independent of mastermode and MASTER ARM switch position. If this isn't currently how it works in dcs, and from what you have told me I have a feeling it isn't. Please do make an bug report on this, if you don't make one I will. 

feel free to make a thread or post in my newly created thread to provide more information. you seem like knowledgeable guy on f-16 systems. I just went by with what I've read from chucks guide

Edited by Steelpanther
add link to new thread