New DM deadly?

Hornetjock

Having trouble with missions I set up with German AAA (88's). They are more accurate/powerful now and near misses take you out. Set up an AI and told him to attack air defences while I watched on F2. Interesting and deserves a tutorial "Dealing with AAA in new DM". Seems he climbed beyond their range (about 8,000 ft) and rolled in steep at reduced power. Much smarter than me - and more accurate. I like the new effects - much more of a challenge now. I am taking the time to climb and zoom like an AI. I might even survive to RTB one day....

Screen_201228_121923.jpg

This is the Army Air Corp technique, that is recommended. I picked it up off of a video or post by 9line or Wags. I go to 8K+, nestle the target between my starboard leading wing edge and my cowling on the P-47D, roll in. Deploy anti-compression slats (bad habit, but works for me), pull the throttle to zero, and line up the nose K-14 gun sight on the target as I drop.

You should have no stick input (nice and neutral, no forces on the bombs), the center dot should cross the target, then you let it drop to the 40 mil line, pickle!!! at about 1K feet or a little less, back on the stick hard but not jerking and panicky. hit the compression slats, and level out.

Works like a charm, I hit about 80% of the time now.

Edited by SmirkingGerbil
clarification

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

3 hours ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

, pull the throttle to zero, and line up the nose K-14 gun sight on the target as I drop.

I would not recommend pulling throttle to zero, very bad habit especially in p-47

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

4 hours ago, grafspee said:

I would not recommend pulling throttle to zero, very bad habit especially in p-47

Zero-ish?? better to explain I pull it back till the nose goes where I want, probably more typical to be half throttle.

Sometimes it is nearly zero; however, if it did go back to zero, I have had no ill effects - I am curious what should or could be the repercussions?

JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

4 hours ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

Zero-ish?? better to explain I pull it back till the nose goes where I want, probably more typical to be half throttle.

Sometimes it is nearly zero; however, if it did go back to zero, I have had no ill effects - I am curious what should or could be the repercussions?

There is serious probability of severely damaging engine's main bearing, while running high rpm and very low boost.

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

20 hours ago, grafspee said:

There is serious probability of severely damaging engine's main bearing, while running high rpm and very low boost.

Gotcha! Probably more relevant now with the last update that included bearing damage. I will do a few bomb runs with "old habits" and see what happens.

Makes sense, thanks for updating me!

ED is aware of this and AFAIK they're fine tuning this. The problem is that not-so-near misses also completely take you out. (from 30-40 meters based on my tests)  Sometimes even 2 aircraft of the formation by one shell.

So the "damage factor" - or whatever you call it - of a shell should be fine tuned. I recently sent ED a lot of WWII flak test charts, so they know exactly how much damage it should cause at what distance. Now we just have to wait patiently 🙂

• Like 1

"...So the "damage factor" - or whatever you call it - of a shell should be fine tuned...." Thanks Reflected - glad ED has been made aware of this, good work. I think from a players perspective it's too damaging and above what history tells us. Even though Typhoons suffered such calamitous losses from ground fire, it was mostly due to heavily concentrated AAA around a target. If I put just three in, I am in trouble. When in doubt - watch how the AI tackles it!

To be honest even arriving high doesn't solve this for me. In the Charnwood campaign, mission 4, two of my wingmen get taken out by flak when flying at or above 8000ft. I also get taken out pretty rapidly, and there seem to be only 3-4 flak units on the ground (mission 4 as I recall). I know technique has to be refined on my side, for sure, but you can't seriously tell me flak from the ground can kill 2 to 3 Mustangs flying 250kts at 8,000ft in less than 30sec...

Thank you Reflected for reporting this, and highlighting that there might be a small problem with the new DM. I look forward to see how soon they can fix it.

Edited by Qiou87

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

• 2 months later...

I'm very glad I found this thread.  I thought I was just a REALLY bad pilot.  I don't think I've flown a single Attack mission in the P-47 without my canopy getting shattered and smoke pouring from my engine...regardless of how I approached the target.  The Flak is crazy accurate!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Godlike AI DCS AA gunners. Prepare to be downed. A lot.  🙂

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Adding this interesting video as well. Comparing this real-world information against the DCS AI gunners makes the gunners unrealistically accurate. Unless you're flying in a straight line, of course.

Edited by Nealius