Vought OS2U Kingfisher

Rakkis

Well, the title of the sub-forum is WISHlist. So if a time comes in some indeterminant future where we have Battleships and Heavy Cruisers I would LOVE to see an OS2U Kingfisher. Take a cat shot off the fantail of an Iowa or Alaska class on WWII SAR Missions for downed pilots, bomb submarines, spot and fire direct 16in Naval guns, return to water land and get craned aboard. I'd sign up for ALL of that.

download (6).jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jester986 said:

It would be low on my priority list but I'd definitely buy it.

Oh for sure, but the other Modules I believe should be priorities are already mentioned here (SBD Dauntless, and Avenger), and we'd need the capital ships modeled and in the Sim for the OS2U to be practical. But its OK to dream about what DCS could be like Two Weeks from now. 🙂

• Like 1

The attraction of a plane like the Kingfisher to me is not so much the plane itself but the feeling that DCS or one of the 3rd party developers would surely include the details of the catapult launch and crane recovery, in addition to the flight model, both aerodynamic as well as hydrodynamic, to make this a truly unique simulation experience. This is why I put the PBY Catalina on the wish list, knowing that DCS wouldn't do a half a$$ed job on that beauty! 👍

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Good call

Just add a CL or BB to go with it

Purely personal preference would be for North Carolina - having been aboard her

The Showboat would be a good choice, her Kingfisher crew is notable. On April 30, 1944, while flying off USS North Carolina near Truk, Lieutenant John A. Burns saved 10 airmen in one day by loading them onto the wings and taxiing a fair distance through 5 foot seas over to the submarine USS Tang. The abuse of the sea state on the pontoons caused the Kingfisher to take on water and Burns had her destroyed by Tang's Deck Gun. Burns, his Radioman, and the remaining rescued airman remained aboard Tang for some time as temporary crew members as she continued her war patrol before returning to Pearl Harbor.

• Like 2