DCS NEWB, Amazing Thrustmaster 16000m HOTAS deal....Advise Needed

PJPower05

All, just spent a little north of 2k building a rig to play DCS.  I am looking for a HOTAS and ran into a new Thrustmaster 16000m for $140 new.  Is there anything seriously wrong with this stick?  Should I pull the trigger?  I understand it isn't a Warthog, but that isn't in the budget.

Thanks for your help!

The throttle works great for modern jets. The stick is average but if it fits your budget, go ahead. I understand it has Hall sensors for both stick and throttle, better than pots.
Regarding the pricetag, no idea sir.

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Is it only the stick?
Got the whole package with stick, throttle and rudders for US 250 a year ago. I think it's more expensive now.
TM released a YT video about bringing the Warthog "back". So maybe things are getting back to normal.
Cheers

PS: Was happy with it. Stick has too few buttons and hats. Buttons on the base are useless. Throttle I use, and is fine. Rudders are okay for the price, though very narrow, but has a very easy way to remove the spring for choppers. Which is good.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

The only thing which is better in that price range is the gladiator nxt from vkb. The 16000 is a solid piece of hardware. The only really negative aspect of it is the lack of buttons on the stick itself. You just get the Trigger, a pov hat and 3 additional buttons. From the precision its the same as the warthog.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

1 hour ago, erniedaoage said:

The only thing which is better in that price range is the gladiator nxt from vkb. The 16000 is a solid piece of hardware. The only really negative aspect of it is the lack of buttons on the stick itself. You just get the Trigger, a pov hat and 3 additional buttons. From the precision its the same as the warthog.

The Gladiator seems to be a great joy but it comes with no throttle right?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

On 12/30/2020 at 12:25 PM, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

I understand it has Hall sensors for both stick and throttle, better than pots.

Only stick X, Y axes use Hall sensor (Melexis MLX90333 used in Warthog and X-56), secondary axes (twist rudder, throttle slider) and TWCS throttle axes use conventional potentiometer. Some users have replaced throttle potentiometer with a model with longest lifetime.

T.16000M twist may present issues with short use ~3/6 months, because twist axis pot' "bed" is bad designed and flex the pot, are some workaround in Reddit/HOTAS but are temporarily measures, is the biggest flaw of the set.

Price $140 is OK for the actual crazy times (In Thrustmaster EU store is 149,99 €).

Edited by Sokol1_br
  • Like 1

Thats right but vkb is releasing a bunch of addons with throttle quadrants and more stuff you can add directly to the joystick.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

I bought the T16000M Flight Pack (stick, throttle and pedals) last May and would say that for the money($220) it was well worth it for me.  Before I purchased the T16000M, I had a MS Precision Sidewinder and it was over 10 years old.  The T16000M stick had more buttons but basically, it wasn't a game changer, BUT the throttle assembly was.  Now I couldn't fly if I didn't have a throttle in my left hand.   So, if you can, find a throttle asap. And if you are into tinkering - there are a couple small\easy modifications you can do with the throttle, one of which is adding an Afterburner Detent.😀

I think the higher end HOTAS would have been, too much too soon, for me.  Once I get used to what I'm doing and have learned most of the systems in the planes I fly, I'll probably upgrade but for now the T16000M is doing great. 

With the exception of one thing.....

Spoiler

I had a problem that I didn't know I had with the stick.  I knew something wasn't working correctly but couldn't figure out exactly what the problem was.  It wasn't until 2 days ago that I finally read that the twist function on the stick can do strange things.  Since it was basically brand new I never thought to search for problems with the stick. After watching 3-4 YouTube videos and about 5-10 mins of work, I had it fixed.  And noticed the difference immediately!  Now I don't have to struggle to keep the plane on the runway when my tires hit the tarmac, now the plane stays straight and smooth. Much less stressful! 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the T16000M flight pack as well, as I didn't know how well I'd enjoy the game or flight sims in general.  After a few years of use I'm upgrading to the Warthog just because I have a lot of twin-engine aircraft with more buttons to map.  The T16000M is great for most of the warbirds, the C-101, and even most of the FC3 aircraft.

The only real downsides are that the T16000M pedals are a bit narrow and there's no RJ12 to USB adapter in the box in case you upgrade your stick and throttle without upgrading the pedals.

Overall, it's a good starter buy. Don't regret the purchase.

3 hours ago, PaperworkNinja said:

The only real downsides are that the T16000M pedals are a bit narrow and there's no RJ12 to USB adapter in the box in case you upgrade your stick and throttle without upgrading the pedals.

Overall, it's a good starter buy. Don't regret the purchase.

Last week a sqnmate commented that as well, I wonder if there is a solution elsewhere or it´s just a DIY thing.

I am disappointed in the quality of T16000M FCS,

the pedals on the throttle and the twist on the stick started malfunctioning very soon,

so I've searched the web and found out that the wires are too close to the potentiometer and that they are interfering with it, so it starts to oscillate, so I took it apart and moved the wires to the side, on the stick it works fine but the throttle pedals started malfunctioning again which is annoying, probably the wires moved back, gonna have to take it apart again.

The throttle slider is plastic and it is sliding on the metal bars, plastic and metal do not work well when it comes to sliding even with lubricant, so the throttle is not moving smoothly, again they obviously wanted to save on the money tag so they made it like that.

those are the problems I've ecountered so far, I've been using it for about 8 months.

1 hour ago, Sokol1_br said:

An sliding bearing MOD for TWCS is available: https://www.etsy.com/listing/885326705/impulse-slider-thrustmaster-t16000m

Thnx I know about the mod,

but the fact that you need to fix their product... the quality of some parts of the product is really bad, and not matching the price tag imo.

Simple google search

The same issues started happening to me after about 3 or 4 months of use. And I'm not squeezing it like a maniac etc...

Edited by Furiz

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 6:50 AM, erniedaoage said:

Is that better than the Warthog stick?

I don't own the warthog, never have and never will, because i cannot live without ffb. In terms of buttons on the stick alone the vkb has more than the warthog, precision will be the same maybe even better because of a better gimbal design on the vkb. A lot of it depends on personal preference i think. But a lot of people are praising the gladiator on youtube.

• Like 1