[Oculus Rift S] Pixel Density ignored after 2.5.6.59625 update

blackworm

Cheers everybody! Total noob here (both for DCS and VR), so please forgive me if that's a repost - but I really can't find anything about this topic.

Briefly put: since last update (2.5.6.59625) it seems like Pixel Density in DCS is completely ignored; I used to experience a pretty crisp visual setting PD to 1.5 and was able to clearly read all cockpit isntruments and labels...

Now all of a sudden the image is super blurry and no matter what I do, it remains almost unreadable.

My PC specs (it's a very low end machine, but I swear it worked all right up until last week) are:

i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

32GB Ram

Oculus Rift S

I used to fly with just PD set to 1.5 and all other edge-smoothing options set to OFF (MSAA to OFF) as well as shadows turned off; it all worked with anisotropic filter set to x8.

So far I've tried:

• Changing PD from 1.2 to up to 2, nothing ever changes (not even performance degradations - it seems like PD is completely ignored);
  • Starting up Oculus Tray Tool and setting Default Super Sampling to 1.5-1.7 - nothing there, too;
  • Uninstall and reinstall DCS;
  • Install ex-novo the DCS Beta;

Here's my System settings and VR settings:

image.png

image.png

Anyone else is experiencing this? Any help would be really appreciate 🙂

Thank you all, and happy new year!

34 minutes ago, Mustang said:

If this is indeed a confirmed bug you could use the supersampling option in Oculus Tray Tools as a stopgap until it gets fixed.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Unfortunately I've already tried that out; Super Sampling provided by OTT stopped working as well - at least, for me.

I've just reinstalled everything on a clean OS. Nothing changed, Pixel Density is still silent. Let's just see if anyone else share my same issue! 🙂

On 12/31/2020 at 5:15 PM, blackworm said:

Unfortunately I've already tried that out; Super Sampling provided by OTT stopped working as well - at least, for me.

I've just reinstalled everything on a clean OS. Nothing changed, Pixel Density is still silent. Let's just see if anyone else share my same issue! 🙂

As OTT provides SS externally and indipendent from any VR application by setting certain Oculus parameters directly I doubt that this effect has something to do with DCS. Maybe Oculus has changed something in its own software so that SS doesn't work any longer or doesn't work like it did before. Did you maybe try the Beta channel of the Oculus software?

With switching the focus from the Rift kind of VR headsets to their Quest types I get more and more the feeling that features for the Rift are no longer developed further and get more and more neglected by Oculus itself. So maybe they did just another 'smart' move to push their customers away from the Rift stuff and get them buying in their Quest thing (with more and more FB integration as well... but that's just a feeling I have since they push everything more and more towards Facebook)

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

On a Windows 10 PC on Nvme SSD, intel 4.2 ghz proc, nvidia 1080,32 G ram.

Game on an SSD.

I tested the game with an Oculus Quest 2 and I usually play on an Oculus Rift S.

The difference is on the one hand in the settings and then in the image quality.

For the settings it only concerns the Oculus Rift S:

you must use the oculus debug tool;

Set the pixel per display pixel override to 1.

And asyncronous spacewarp on force 45 fps, ASW enabled.

In this way we obtain a very good compromise between image quality and fluidity. Perfectly playable and perfectly readable instruments.

With the Oculus Quest 2: no prior settings.

It is the headset that returns the images of the game, which is to say that it is the components of the headset that make the game run, and not those of the PC.

Perfectly playable, same fluidity as with the Rift S (and its settings) and a slightly more pleasant image.

Additional advantage: just plug it into a USB 3.0 socket and use the oculus link offered by the menu.

Last point: no need for a very expensive cable, there are 25 euros that work very well, it is this model that I use.

i have to say,nothing is changed after last update.
To "blackworm"did you let your nvidia settings by default?
if not you have to try it.
The only set that are due is from the Oculus debug tool as pointed above.

I dont understand what you mean at all, perhaps someone else does.

This thread is about not beeing able to change PD for the Rift S ABOVE 1 since last update of something, either DCS or Oculus Software. You say set PD to 1 because that is good enough, its no problem that this major feature seem to have been removed. I dissgree. Do you mean that Oculus actually may have removed the PD feature intentionally to reduce image quality for users so they have to buy a Quest 2 to regain what they already paid for? The Rift S is the most bizzare product I have bought, I really like the product but the company behind it seems to do all they can to show me that they do not want me as a customer, specially if this is now is true. Its also the only company I can think of that sells devices that forces me to update the drivers to the newest if I want to use it. Even in Windows its possible to use an old driver. I still have warranty on my Rift S, its less than a year old an now they may have done this to force me to a Quest 2. Unbeliveable.

Edited by Fisherman82

I had a similar issue with OTT is that it would ignore my SS setting (I dont use DCS PD). I would exit DCS, go to OTT, change my SS value, save it. Change it back again, save it. Then it seemed to work when I reloaded DCS.

This wasn't just for DCS but oculus too, I can usually tell of it's loaded by the quality of the date and clock on the right hand side of the options bar. 

I had thought this was just me as I have been messing about with everything recently getting msfs 2020 to work. 

3 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

I had a similar issue with OTT is that it would ignore my SS setting (I dont use DCS PD). I would exit DCS, go to OTT, change my SS value, save it. Change it back again, save it. Then it seemed to work when I reloaded DCS.

This wasn't just for DCS but oculus too, I can usually tell of it's loaded by the quality of the date and clock on the right hand side of the options bar. 

I had thought this was just me as I have been messing about with everything recently getting msfs 2020 to work. 

Its not that OTT has stopped working? I mean thats third party as far as I know. Is it possible to set PD/SS in Oculus Tray Tool? Perhaps that still works. I wish I coild try this myself now but I cant.

To "fisherman82"i don't know why you don't understand?Maybe my english is not good enough?
However at each update of DCS i change the "pixel per display pixel override"from 1 to 2.

To see if something has been done on VR code.

And check it out in the game,without changing anything else.

To compare i get in a cockpit,and change fov  with keys binded.If the changing would be fluid i will keep the set to 2.
Never saw this set to be fluid.

Unfortunatly from the beginning of VR on this game,you can't get something fluid with a set above 1.

But when you said that the PD not working anymore,i may say it's false.

The "pixel per display pixel override" works.But maybe we arn't talking about the same thing?

About your supposition on forcing gamer to change for a quest 2;i think it is stupid.
I have both of them and the difference between is too tiny to be convincing.
However on the quest 2 you haven't to set something on OTT.

That's all.

2 hours ago, Fisherman82 said:

Its not that OTT has stopped working? I mean thats third party as far as I know. Is it possible to set PD/SS in Oculus Tray Tool? Perhaps that still works. I wish I coild try this myself now but I cant.

No OTT works, just not as it used to. Yes it's third party but always seems like a fairly robustly little bit of software. In game PD and oculus tray tool (OTT) are different but do the same kind of thing. I can comment on PD as I never change it from 1.0

Ok Cromhunt, I understand you now. I dont know what works or not because I cant get to the computer and test now so Im going on what blackworm wrote, and that is that both Pixel density inside DCS and the same ting in OTT called Super Sampling there doesnt work anymore because something has updated. And I have had it running fluidly on Super Sampling 1.3 and now in a couple of days I will pick up my new RTX 3080 at the post office, plug it in and instead of beeing able to increase it a bit above 1.3 to perhaps 1.5 as I hoped I will be downgraded and locked to 1.0 if what blackworm is saying is correct. 

ED has labeled the thread "Oculus Rift S" meaning that its a hardware issue and not a DCS issue so no help will come from there.

Oculus has taken an active stand agains everyone with a flightsim stick or racingsim wheel in their hands by not allowing access to dash with a keyboard shortcut and mouse but instead requiring mandatory use of their handcontrollers or oddly, a Xbox controller. By this they have made clear that their products are intended for the Beat Sabre community and do not want simmers as customers specially not those with any kind of cockpit setup. Its a wierd stand to take as a company. I would not expect any fix from them if they indeed have decided that Super Sampling should not be available to Rift S users anymore. I agree, its stupid but it could very well happen because the fact that we are not allowed acess to Dash with the keyboard is a reality despite that it is absurd and stupid. 

Only solution then will be a new headset of different brand regardless of the fact that I think the Rift S is really good and that I got it less than a year ago and had no plan of replacing it in the near future.

Edited by Fisherman82

Thank you so much for your feedback, people. Tried out to force supersampling using directly the Oculus debug tool; tried to push PD to 2.0, DCS does'nt even blink; image is still super blurry.

I think i'll send back the Rift and switch to other headsets. I really don't like the path Oculus is going into right now.

I've played a couple days ago, all updates done (OTT had an update recently, same for Oculus firmware, latest stable of DCS) and my supersampling x1.4 still works in DCS. I use PD 1.0 in DCS, only use OTT to apply 1,4x of supersampling. No changes for me, same readability, same performance ingame.

I play on Rift S, RTX 2070 SUPER. It seems to be an issue on your end blackworm, not a generalized "anti-Rift" push by ED or Oculus/FB. I like how people seem to just come to a post where someone has a problem and instead of offering help, they bring judgement about this or that. Whatever happened to not jumping to conclusions?

@blackworm: did you try to create a custom profile for DCS in OTT, setting Supersampling this way? Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Oculus software? Here are my OTT settings.

DCS-OTT.jpg

Edited by Qiou87

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

47 minutes ago, Qiou87 said:

I've played a couple days ago, all updates done (OTT had an update recently, same for Oculus firmware, latest stable of DCS) and my supersampling x1.4 still works in DCS. I use PD 1.0 in DCS, only use OTT to apply 1,4x of supersampling. No changes for me, same readability, same performance ingame.

I play on Rift S, RTX 2070 SUPER. It seems to be an issue on your end blackworm, not a generalized "anti-Rift" push by ED or Oculus/FB. I like how people seem to just come to a post where someone has a problem and instead of offering help, they bring judgement about this or that. Whatever happened to not jumping to conclusions?

@blackworm: did you try to create a custom profile for DCS in OTT, setting Supersampling this way? Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Oculus software? Here are my OTT settings.

DCS-OTT.jpg

Tried out everything you wrote, Qiou87. Reinstalled Windows, reinstalled the oculus sw, created the custom profile for DCS on OTT, cranked down PD in DCS to 1.0. Nothing works. I really can't figure out what can possibily go wrong with my rig, since everything worked well before last DCS update.

Alright, well there's an easy way to make sure it is in fact DCS: roll back to the previous DCS version.

Here's a topic explaining how to do it. The previous stable was 2.5.6.55960. If you roll back to it and adjusting PD works again, you know it is a DCS problem. Unfortunately it is the holiday break for the team but you will know what the culprit is at least.

• Like 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

1 hour ago, Qiou87 said:

Alright, well there's an easy way to make sure it is in fact DCS: roll back to the previous DCS version.

Here's a topic explaining how to do it. The previous stable was 2.5.6.55960. If you roll back to it and adjusting PD works again, you know it is a DCS problem. Unfortunately it is the holiday break for the team but you will know what the culprit is at least.

@Qiou87 thank you so SO much. Done that, and now I can defenetly know that the culprit is not DCS. I have to investigate further, and I'm starting to suspect that the problem is either the last Oculus update or the new GTX drivers. Let's dive in

Thank you so much for your feedback

5 hours ago, blackworm said:

@Qiou87 thank you so SO much. Done that, and now I can defenetly know that the culprit is not DCS. I have to investigate further, and I'm starting to suspect that the problem is either the last Oculus update or the new GTX drivers. Let's dive in

Thank you so much for your feedback

Just happy to help. Please, let me know if you find what was the problem.

Today I had the same issue when launching DCS, only to realize that the last OTT update disabled auto-launch. Once launched manually SS was working again.

You can also try the rollback of nVidia drivers to see if that is the culprit. Not sure about Oculus firmware though...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Was there ever any resolution to this issue? I'm having something similar in that the in-game PD slider is being completely ignored. Regardless of whether it is set to 0.5 or 2.5, the image and performance remain the same, so nothing is being applied. I've even checked the options.lua file and have confirmed the setting is being saved, but it just isn't doing anything.

I can set PD using Oculus Tray Tools without issue (although automatic profile activation is iffy with DCS now for some reason), but I don't get why the in-game slider is being ignored. Any ideas? I'm using a Rift S.

This must be the reason my performance in the CV1 at 1.5 (in DCS) improved vastly a while ago. Now I know why, even though I was under the impression the quality still differs. Having massive performance diffs in the Quest though.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg