A10C 2, F14 or F/A-18 for good single player content?

conura

Hey all,

I'm not ready to go online just yet, and was wondering, which of the above modules offer the best single player content in terms of missions, working well made campaigns etc? I'm hoping to get a lot of out a module in SP before I take it online. Thanks and Happy New Year everyone.

The Tomcat wouldn't be my first choice for SP, since Jester requires micromanagement and this often ruins the experience, at least for me. A RIO should be way more independent.

Between the F-18 and A-10C_2, both have excellent paid and free campaigns (you might need to convert some free ones to the A-10C_2 from the original A-10C by simply changing the player aircraft). The F-18 also has carrier ops in most of its content, which can be an added bonus.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

15 hours ago, Harker said:

The Tomcat wouldn't be my first choice for SP, since Jester requires micromanagement and this often ruins the experience, at least for me. A RIO should be way more independent.

Agree. F/A-18C would be my choice. Very versatile and carrier capability.

I'm going to disagree heavily here.  I actually think the F-14 is a much better SP module.

Flying the thing is fun in itself (the other two are fairly sterile affairs) and the amount of missions Heatblur has made for the Tomcat is so much better than any other module I own.

There's something like 10+ instant action missions per map, 2 SP campaigns, and a ton of good single missions.  The A-10 and F18 don't have anywhere near as many missions for them without downloading third party stuff (which is of wildly varying quality).

Edited by Wavehopper
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Wavehopper said:

I'm going to disagree heavily here.  I actually think the F-14 is a much better SP module.

Flying the thing is fun in itself (the other two are fairly sterile affairs) and the amount of missions Heatblur has made for the Tomcat is so much better than any other module I own.

There's something like 10+ instant action missions per map, 2 SP campaigns, and a ton of good single missions.  The A-10 and F18 don't have anywhere near as many missions for them without downloading third party stuff (which is of wildly varying quality).

Maybe they improved it since last free for all.  I haven't tried it this time around but last time, it didn't even have proper training missions.  I had to watch YouTube video on how to fire Phoenix.  But what personally got me off F14 was Jester.  I understand their reason for implementing the wheel but was a big immersion breaker for me.  I even turn off subtitles and damage messages in game.  And VA isn't an option for me.  Also didn't like that Jester does most of the radar and countermeasure stuff and all I do is fire.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wavehopper said:

Not sure where you get that from. I have 118 Hornet IA and single missions in my DCS install, and only 104 F-14.

5 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Maybe they improved it since last free for all.  I haven't tried it this time around but last time, it didn't even have proper training missions.  I had to watch YouTube video on how to fire Phoenix.  But what personally got me off F14 was Jester.  I understand their reason for implementing the wheel but was a big immersion breaker for me.  I even turn off subtitles and damage messages in game.  And VA isn't an option for me.  Also didn't like that Jester does most of the radar and countermeasure stuff and all I do is fire.

+1 to that.   Obviously, it's purely a personal preference, but I just couldn't/can't get on with the whole RIO/Jester thing.  It's a complete immersion breaker.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 10:43 PM, Taz1004 said:

If you have VoiceAttack, then it's pretty good and not as immersion-breaking. It's not as perfect as a fully-automated AI RIO, but it's close enough if you assume that your RIO will blindly follow your voice orders.

PC Setup: i7-8700K CPU @5 GHz | 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz | EVGA RTX 3080 GPU | LG 27GL83A-B 27" Ultragear QHD IPS 1ms 144Hz NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Space Combat Edition’ Premium Grip | TrackIR5 system | Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle.

Airframes: A10C | A10CII | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-5E | F-86F | JF-17 | M-2000C | AV-8B | MiG-15Bis | MiG-15Bis | Ka-50 Black Shark 2 helicopter | FC3. (All  purchased on STEAM)

Modules: Supercarrier | WW2 Assets Pack | Raven One | Serpent's Head 2 | The Ultimate Argument | The Georgian War | Aggressors BFM | M-2000C Red Flag | F-15C Red Flag | Aggressors ACM | The Enemy Within 3.0 | A-10C Red Flag | The Museum Relic Campaign. (All purchased on STEAM)

Maps: Persian Gulf | Nevada NTTR. (All purchased on STEAM)

10 minutes ago, alphagamer4 said:

If you have VoiceAttack, then it's pretty good and not as immersion-breaking. It's not as perfect as a fully-automated AI RIO, but it's close enough if you assume that your RIO will blindly follow your voice orders.

Voice Attack with all possible direct bindings for the Jester would be IMHO the only real way to go. But then you would need to remember all the commands you can say to him. Like "Scan ahead" or "Scan target above us" or something that should be natural enough but easy to remember so you don't start mixing sentences.

On 1/2/2021 at 5:43 AM, Taz1004 said:

Also didn't like that Jester does most of the radar and countermeasure stuff and all I do is fire.

Well, that sucks to be in the aircraft that was designed for the separate tasks.

And that is the problem that so few wants to fly in Co-Op as RIO that truly makes the F-14 amazing experience. A good RIO and Pilot synergy and it is a blast.

That is where it really makes feel alone in a Hornet or Viper as you don't have that other player there just to keep track of enemies and really be the teamwork.

And then they give you a Jester that is half-blind and waste missiles after launching them as "I lost it" becomes just as idea that you have the 12 year old at your backseat.....

Oh boy, do I not wish that there would be time to have as often as wanted LAN parties with a good friend and both have flight chairs lined up in VR etc.... That experience is something that you do not get really in the online...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

5 hours ago, alphagamer4 said:

Why I said VA isn't an option for me.  I wasn't criticizing F14 or its implementation by HeatBlur.  I think they did a fine job.  I was simply stating why it isn't for ME.

5 hours ago, alphagamer4 said:

But what personally got me off F14 was Jester.

• 2 weeks later...

A-10C. From what i have heard it has great immersive campaigns where you get to do actual CAS with 9 line briefings. And the potential is endless, you can make missions infinitely more challenging if you ever feel like youre bored.

F-14 cant really be used for the things its built to do yet, since we lack:
- Large enough maps
- Radar reacting to chaff/jamming to add a need for tactics they were going to use to counter them (there are some great articles for it)
- Proper Missions. Most are just CAP turkey shoots.

F-18 is even worse, there is nothing even remotely close to the late 2000s on the Opfor side in DCS, so youll end up always turkey shooting with no tactics.