My X-56 Rhino Key Mappings

Here is my key mappings for the A10-C II Tank Killer ... please give it a once over and comment on what you'd do differently. I included the .lua files so you can easily setup your X-56 if you like the current mappings.

Thanks for commenting,

C.T.Blankenship

X56 HOTAS Button Layout.jpg

X56_Stick.diff.lua X56_Throttle.diff.lua

• Like 2

Intel I7-4770K @ 4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, EGVA GTX 1070 SC, Three ASUS PA248 24" monitors, 500 GB SSD, Saitek X-56 Throttle and Stick, TrackIR

CT,

I like your graphical map of your layout.  Very nice!

I tried to use the analog mini-joysticks for the slew.  I must have clumsier fingers than you do, because I kept touching them accidentally.  Especially the one on the throttle.  That would inadvertently move the SOI cursor.  Seemed to happen at the worst of times.  Also, I don't use any of the rotaries on the throttle.  The noise level (poor quality?) is pretty bad at times and stuff just jumps all over (like zoom etc...).  That was pretty much the same issue I had trying to use the mini joysticks for zoom.  Too much erratic behavior.

One thing that I have done and I really like is that I use two different weapon release methods depending upon the circumstance.  I use [ Joy_2 ] just like you do.  I also use the two position slider on the throttle that you have labeled [ A2A Refueling Door ].  As you know, this slider maintains position.  So, on an attack bombing run that uses computer release, once I get it pretty much lined up I will flick that switch over.  The switch maintains position and holds the release permission on constantly.  I now just have to fly the plane to the HUD parameters and not worry about missing the cue to release.  The weapons will always fall off at the right time.  I also don't have to worry about creating a hung weapon by premature switch release.  It works for rocket attack runs as well.  I set up my release quantity, flip the switch, and pahzow the right number go off.   Then when I get to a less hurried moment, I just flick the switch back off.  It has become pretty instinctive for me.

I find the x56 HOTAS not that ergonomic.  How about you?

Caldera

CT,

I have it mapped to Weapon Release.  So the weapon release control is mapped to two different switches.  One the stick and one on the throttle.

Frankly, the ergonomics of the x56 is a bit annoying for me.  I have big hands.  The lower controls for the left thumb on the throttle seem to jumble together.  Two 8-way hat switches and a mini joystick that close together is not that good for me.   With the throttle fully forward it gets worse.  On the stick the weapon release button just seems a bit of a stretch to reach with my thumb.  I have allot of trouble maneuvering (aiming) if I am pushing forward on the stick and at the same time trying to do a weapon release.  Especially if I have to bank to the right with my thumb on the weapon release button.  For some reason at those times I kind of lose my grip on the stick.

The spring return switches that you use for flaps, landing gear and speed brake I use for the China and Coolie switches.  Not the greatest, because I have to take my hand off of the throttle.  But it is the best solution that I can figure out so far.  I use (try to use) TrackIR so I have TMS mapped to the POV hat on the stick.  I have DMS and trim mapped just as you do.  Having the TMS really close to the weapon release button on the stick is very convenient for Mavericks.  I get confused sometimes however, and I wonder why the Mavericks won't come off the rails.  Then I realize that pushing and pushing on the trim switch just won't let them fly away and do their job.

Caldera

• Like 1

Nicely mapped out.  Do you have a blank template? I would gladly share mine.

Mine is close, but I have since incorporated a modifier, which greatly increases the number of mappings, but comes in very handy. I use my throttle slider for Speed brakes.

This test adds a new entry under controls(A-10C II) in this case

Open C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\A-10C_2\Input\A-10C_2\joystick\default.lua

{down = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_SpeedBrakeSwitchForward, up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_SpeedBrakeSwitchAft, name = _('HOTAS Speed Brake Switch 2POS'), category = _('HOTAS')},

You can place it between the existing speed brake lines via Notepad ++

Once saved, open the in game controls page, search for 2POS and map to whichever you want.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Few examples....

The stick hats I use (left to right) TMS/DMS/Trim

small stick is for slew, stick button press is for CMS forward

The small pinky button is my modifier. I had always used the pinky paddle switch as modifier, but I am trying train my hand to do without it until my Gladiator NXT arrives.

Button A on the stick is NWS/Lase

The button on the side of the stick is Weapon mode select

Trigger is for cannon and weapon release + modifier.

I play VR and don't have rudder pedals as I use the twist function of the stick, and have a button for VR zoom and spyglass zoom(+modifier)

MY X-56 Rhino Stick {C0C917C0-3CBA-11eb-8004-444553540000}.diff.lua MY X-56 Rhino Throttle {BE06EA80-3CBA-11eb-8001-444553540000}.diff.lua

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

On 1/2/2021 at 1:05 AM, Sr. said:

Nicely mapped out.  Do you have a blank template? I would gladly share mine.

Attached is a similar layout ... it is just not green ... 

X56 HOTAS Button Layout B_W.jpg

Intel I7-4770K @ 4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, EGVA GTX 1070 SC, Three ASUS PA248 24" monitors, 500 GB SSD, Saitek X-56 Throttle and Stick, TrackIR

Cool, thanks. I'll get er filled out.

--Arthur C Clark

On 12/31/2020 at 11:01 PM, Caldera said:

CT,

I like your graphical map of your layout.  Very nice!

I tried to use the analog mini-joysticks for the slew.  I must have clumsier fingers than you do, because I kept touching them accidentally.  Especially the one on the throttle.  That would inadvertently move the SOI cursor.  Seemed to happen at the worst of times.  Also, I don't use any of the rotaries on the throttle.  The noise level (poor quality?) is pretty bad at times and stuff just jumps all over (like zoom etc...).  That was pretty much the same issue I had trying to use the mini joysticks for zoom.  Too much erratic behavior.

One thing that I have done and I really like is that I use two different weapon release methods depending upon the circumstance.  I use [ Joy_2 ] just like you do.  I also use the two position slider on the throttle that you have labeled [ A2A Refueling Door ].  As you know, this slider maintains position.  So, on an attack bombing run that uses computer release, once I get it pretty much lined up I will flick that switch over.  The switch maintains position and holds the release permission on constantly.  I now just have to fly the plane to the HUD parameters and not worry about missing the cue to release.  The weapons will always fall off at the right time.  I also don't have to worry about creating a hung weapon by premature switch release.  It works for rocket attack runs as well.  I set up my release quantity, flip the switch, and pahzow the right number go off.   Then when I get to a less hurried moment, I just flick the switch back off.  It has become pretty instinctive for me.

I find the x56 HOTAS not that ergonomic.  How about you?

Caldera

I had to put on the attachment plate on to the stick.  But yes ... I feel that the ergonomics could be better as well. I have problems with the two top hats being so close together on the throttle. My trim also requires me to lift my hand from the base. 

CT,

I figured out how to use the mini-joysticks! 

For Zoom, I use the mini-joystick on the throttle with DeadZone 5, Saturation X&Y 60 and Curvature 20.  The Saturation value limits the zoom to a preset value so the Zoom view becomes very consistent and predictable.  I release the mini-joystick and the camera goes back to the default view.  For slew, I use the mini-joystick on the stick with the set-up much the same.  The Saturation values are lower because it is easy for the cursor to move too fast.

Caldera

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, tadpole207 said:

I cant for the life of me figure out what to map the mini joysticks to in my f-18. I use the button to arm/safe the weapons, but other than that, cant figure out how to use them (one on the stock and one on the throttle.)

any help is appreciated.

simply map the one on the stick into a 4-way hat.  I use the ministick on a VKB gladiator to the TMS hat

On 10/11/2022 at 4:56 PM, jaylw314 said:

simply map the one on the stick into a 4-way hat.  I use the ministick on a VKB gladiator to the TMS hat

Is this do-able with the mini stick on the throttle? How?

--Arthur C Clark

Hi, 

to get whichever axis to generate key presses, you can use the programming in the x56 software and ( right click iirc) on the axis to select the « banding » option. 
There when the axis is eg above 30% it will generate the key sequence you chose

I use it as a 4 way CMS for the a-10

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 12:53 AM, gabuzomeu said:

Hi, 

to get whichever axis to generate key presses, you can use the programming in the x56 software and ( right click iirc) on the axis to select the « banding » option. 
There when the axis is eg above 30% it will generate the key sequence you chose

I use it as a 4 way CMS for the a-10

I use it to slew cursor. Would love to slow it down a bunch.

Something like this?

Screenshot 2022-10-29 224819.jpg

Edited by Sr.
Update: solution works perfectly

--Arthur C Clark

I guess that if you want to slow down the repeat you have to add a macro , not only a key . In the macro, you can  , for example, define a key press (eg ";") then a xmillisecond delay

The repeat will only occur after this . you can define also the sequence to be played when repeat and when releasing the key (if needed)

Good luck!

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home

13 hours ago, gabuzomeu said:

I guess that if you want to slow down the repeat you have to add a macro , not only a key . In the macro, you can  , for example, define a key press (eg ";") then a xmillisecond delay

The repeat will only occur after this . you can define also the sequence to be played when repeat and when releasing the key (if needed)

Good luck!

It's perfect now. Before I was using the throttle joystick in axis mode. Crazy hard to fine tune.

--Arthur C Clark