Steam VR critical error Hp Reverb G2

unpilot

I keep getting a steamvr critical error with DCS.

I can sometimes play for 10 minutes...sometimes 30 but I always get a Steam critical error message and steam vr stops. DCS keeps running but of course I can't see DCS anymore in headset.

Running a 3080 with HP Reverb G2 with latest drivers for Windows as well as Nvidia.

I have tried changing the Openxr runtime to steamVR and that seemed to help but just now I got another critical error stoppage.

Any solutions?

are you OC'ing your CPU or GPU ? if so you might want to wind them back a bit 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Might try uninstalling and re-installing Steam VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Are you using beta version of "WMR for SteamVR"? I was getting this error with 'last known good' until I changed it to 'no beta'. Also check vrserver log for any clues (in steam/logs folder)

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

• 5 months later...

Have exactly the same "Critical error" issue. No overclocked 2080ti and 7700k. Simply doing an instant action air to air with f5 starts the issue about 10 minutes in game with a  Cracking of sound and some short graphic issue then the error appears. What should I do?

I saw that error once today.

Are you using thrust master stuff by any chance and perhaps Target Gui?

I have a feeling the target software "may" be causing problems with USB connections or direct X or something since a recent system update. 

My MFGs have dropped out, warthog stick could not be found and or dropped out, headset dropped out.... all works fine without target running. 

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I suspect this is related to my recent Reverb G2 experience on a build change. According to my MB manufacturer (MSI), the USB-C port is capable of providing up to 7 watts of power. However, the Reverb G2 is gluttonous on power draw from the USB port even though it has an additional power pack. My MSI MB would provide barely enough power to make the G2 display working well but having the sound disconnecting and reconnecting all the time which caused drivers and software issues. Like MSFS 2020 being unusable in VR for instance.

Fix: I bought a PCIe 3.0/4.0 USB-C internal card that is able to provide up to 15 watts of power. Hooked up the G2, all problems gone ! 

Your situation is similar, I would definitely give a dedicated USB-C PCIe card a try.

• Like 1

OS: Windows 10 64-bit | CPU: Intel i7-7700K @4.2GHz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders 11GB | RAM: G-Skill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3600MHz | SSD: 480gb Corsair HyperX | MoBo: EVGA Z270 Stinger | Oculus Rift | HOTAS Warthog

Had the same issue some weeks before Steam VR 1.17 update. I was using SteamVR Beta. Solved now. GPU and CPU is overclocked.

Here is what I've done after trying several options (opt out SteamVR Beta, uninstall and reinstall SteamVR etc.) and the "critical issue" error is somehow gone.

1- Uninstall "SteamVR" and "Windows Mixed  Reality for SteamVR" from Steam

2- Restart PC

3- Delete all relevant SteamVR and Windows Mixed  Reality for SteamVR registry entries using CCleaner

4- Restart PC

5- Install SteamVR (Use Regular, no Beta!!!)

6- Install Windows Mixed  Reality for SteamVR (Use Regular, no Beta!!!)

After these steps, the error went away.

By the way this was for previous version of "SteamVR Beta" after getting stable 1.17 update and having no issues with it, I returned to Beta Versions of Steam VR and Windows Mixed  Reality for SteamVR. Right now using SteamVR Beta 1.17.16 without issues.  

Hope it helps.

My Specs : i7-10700K, RTX 3090, 64Gb RAM, Reverb G2

Edited by cashman75

Have not see this issue with my Reverb G2 yet.

Running beta of Steam VR and release of WMR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 6/8/2021 at 5:53 PM, 5EVC Tiger said:

I suspect this is related to my recent Reverb G2 experience on a build change. According to my MB manufacturer (MSI), the USB-C port is capable of providing up to 7 watts of power. However, the Reverb G2 is gluttonous on power draw from the USB port even though it has an additional power pack. My MSI MB would provide barely enough power to make the G2 display working well but having the sound disconnecting and reconnecting all the time which caused drivers and software issues. Like MSFS 2020 being unusable in VR for instance.

Fix: I bought a PCIe 3.0/4.0 USB-C internal card that is able to provide up to 15 watts of power. Hooked up the G2, all problems gone ! 

Your situation is similar, I would definitely give a dedicated USB-C PCIe card a try.

Yup - an additional PCI-e card a must for something like the G2. My problems went away after getting one.

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

• 2 years later...
On 6/10/2021 at 8:09 AM, C3PO said:

Yup - an additional PCI-e card a must for something like the G2. My problems went away after getting one.

Any chance you can point me in the direction of exactly which one you got. I just want to make sure I get one that works. This Steam VR fail issue has been driving me nuts for years now.

Thanks. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV