Upgrade from Rift S to Quest 2 - is it worth it?

DutchCoolHand

I have been flying in VR for almost 2 years now and love it. Reading messages about clarity of other headsets had me thinking about upgrading my Rift S. I know a G2 will give the best image but I don’t have the hardware to support it. And not willing to spend the $$$ for that. 

for those who have done it, is the Quest 2 more clear/sharper than the Rift S?

my specs are in my signature.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

This is a great comparison video for three great VR headsets:

Edited by C3PO

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

This is a great comparison video for three great VR headsets:

Image clarity in the quest 2 is good. Better the Rift S. But this is not the whole story, there is also the overhead of the link encoding.
@dutchcoolhand

I am testing a quest 2 and need to understand if some stutters and ghosting issues can be solved or are related to the link or comes from the Oculus software itself.
So my better advice is to try it , and if it is possible buy from somewhere with a good return policy like Amazon, so you can return it if not satisfied.
I probably will be returning it and keep my Valve Index

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Also very interested to know how this is in DCS with the link and bitrate set to circa 350 on a link cable especially if anyone has tried on say 2080/2080ti with 5 Ghz Intel CPU and 32GB of ram or more.

I've had a nightmare with the Reverb G2, worked for first 24 hours now nothing i do can get around the 4-1 ,4-4 or 7-15 issue, no customer service and no replacement due until March at the earliest.  Its a bad experience also re interface coming from Rift S to the WMR plus Steam VR and the carcrash that it is.

I'm now trying to fathom out what visual difference the quest will provide and that the colour isnt poor etc.

Infact the whole G2 overall has been hyped, yes the sweetspot visuals are very clear but im sceptical of the R&D of the product, too many issues and can tell its been pushed out.  I saw a poll that indicated over 30% of customers would not buy another due to poor stability, DOA or shortly after and other firmware issues such as headphones that disable the headset over 85%.  Oh and that cable clip, if that made it through the R&D process god knows what the insides of these things are like.

I can wear the RIft S for like 10 hours no issues, 4 hours in the Reverb G2 left my eyes feeling funny and a bit strained (ensured correct IPD setting, its my 5th year in VR and 5th Headset) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I agree that the Quest 2 looks the best, how much can the link cable influence the image quality?

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I agree that the Quest 2 looks the best, how much can the link cable influence the image quality?

The image quality doesn’t seem to be affected...even at 150mb/s encoding setting....
What worry me is the stutters, ghosting and double vision while moving the head that could be due to the link cable, or the oculus software as it doesn’t happen with the Valve Index despite higher rendering resolution setting (with SS)
  • Like 1

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Also very interested to know how this is in DCS with the link and bitrate set to circa 350 on a link cable especially if anyone has tried on say 2080/2080ti with 5 Ghz Intel CPU and 32GB of ram or more.

I've had a nightmare with the Reverb G2, worked for first 24 hours now nothing i do can get around the 4-1 ,4-4 or 7-15 issue, no customer service and no replacement due until March at the earliest.  Its a bad experience also re interface coming from Rift S to the WMR plus Steam VR and the carcrash that it is.

I'm now trying to fathom out what visual difference the quest will provide and that the colour isnt poor etc.
Infact the whole G2 overall has been hyped, yes the sweetspot visuals are very clear but im sceptical of the R&D of the product, too many issues and can tell its been pushed out.  I saw a poll that indicated over 30% of customers would not buy another due to poor stability, DOA or shortly after and other firmware issues such as headphones that disable the headset over 85%.  Oh and that cable clip, if that made it through the R&D process god knows what the insides of these things are like.

I can wear the RIft S for like 10 hours no issues, 4 hours in the Reverb G2 left my eyes feeling funny and a bit strained (ensured correct IPD setting, its my 5th year in VR and 5th Headset) 
Exactly the same issue with my G2 as you. Worked for around a week then USB errors.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

On 1/2/2021 at 2:39 PM, VirusAM said:

The image quality doesn’t seem to be affected...even at 150mb/s encoding setting....
What worry me is the stutters, ghosting and double vision while moving the head that could be due to the link cable, or the oculus software as it doesn’t happen with the Valve Index despite higher rendering resolution setting (with SS)

Microcenter had Quest 2's available this morning and I got one with the link cable. I can see the image quality difference. I do get the microstutters. what can be done? and how do you set or see the data rate of the link cable?

Well I am not impressed yet. I have spent a few hours working on settings and watch videos and read pages.  I think my hardware is not strong enough for the Q2. It is fine with the Rift S. Waiting for a new cpu, MB and GPU.

any tips? I have  increased bit rate and have been testing with resolution in the oculus settings and asw