Can we please get the option to customize the VR Desktop mirror aspect ratio?

ShuRugal

I realize that this is pretty low priority for the DCS team, but it really aught to also be pretty low-hanging fruit to fix as well:

I am running into a serious problem with the way the desktop mirror in DCS works.  When streaming DCS in Discord, viewer complain about the 9:16 aspect ratio.  If I use alt-enter to force fullscreen, it doesn't actually crop the top/bottom off the mirror, and I end up with a an ugly stretched view that some people are reporting actually makes them nauseas to watch.

While i can set SteamVR to mirror the VR view and stream that, no audio is forwarded to discord this way.

Can we please get an option to have the VR Desktop mirror cropped and centered to a 16:9 aspect ratio so that it is practical to stream this thing in Discord?

• Like 3

Makes sense to me...it would make streaming and videos easier to do. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Does the WMR mirror not allow sound back and allow to adjust the aspect ratio as you see fit, if you run sound to the desktop and your headset?

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

14 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Does the WMR mirror not allow sound back and allow to adjust the aspect ratio as you see fit, if you run sound to the desktop and your headset?

I have no idea, as I'm not using WMR, i'm running in Steam VR with a Valve Index.

The sound going to my headset is also not the problem.  The problem is that when I tell Discord to stream the Steam VR mirror (which reprojects the VR image from my headset to 16:9), it does not include audio from the game.  Steam VR has an audio mirror function, but it can only direct sound to physical devices.  Discord lacks the ability to select specific audio sources for streaming, if the app you are streaming the video from doesn't have audio, then you don't get audio in the stream.

• 1 month later...

For us that use WMR (Reverb G2) there are 3 options to record to OBS. WMR Mirror (blurred and sometimes stutters), DCS mirror image (Perfect FPS but croped to Jaggies, pixels... bad), and steamVR mirror directly or with openvr obs plugin (perfect resolution aspect ratio but lock to 15-20 fps)

All this would be fixed if we could have a 19:9 DCS VR mirror option. Meanwhile I cannot share my gameplay with my viewers.

17 hours ago, Japo32 said:

or with openvr obs plugin (perfect resolution aspect ratio but lock to 15-20 fps)

I use that same OBS plugin with my Pimax and it gives me 60fps, or whatever I tell it to be under Settings/Video/IntegerFPSValue.

I wonder why your WMR gets locked at 15-20?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

I have also set to 60 in integerPFSValue... but as said, it is lock to 15-20 or so. It is much smoother with the default game DCS mirror... but that one is pixelated once copied into OBS.

Don't know how you can have 60fps with the obs openvr plugin. I think it catch it from steam vr directly and if you put the steam vr mirror it will have the same problem of frames lock:

SteamVR "Display VR view" has low framerate : SteamVR (reddit.com)

OpenVR plugin for OBS capping framerate? : Vive (reddit.com)

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose noone cares about this... A shame to lose potential viewers  of videos with Reverb G2 goggles or any WMR portal ones, as it is disgusting to have the 50% of the resolution we have in DCS with OBS plugin studio. (rest of options are awfull in resolution). Something that would be fixed if ED could put at least the 1920x1080 resolution in their mirror. Something that Assetto Corsa Competizione, Condor2, Rfactor, etc does (others as IL2 are worst than DCS). 

Less viewers because we make less recordings, less potential buyers for DCS. Not all we have Oculus to use their wonderful Oculus MIrror, or Vive to be at 60fps in obs openvr studio (or steamvr mirror). I still preffer the Reverb G2 because its resolution.

Edited by Japo32

Yeah, it's pretty frustrating.  the Steam VR mirror doesn't include an audio feed, and Discord doesn't let me select what my stream audio source is.  I have to choose between having good picture or audio.

I've played around with a few products which let me mix the game output and my microphone input into a virtual microphone, and set that as my mic in Discord, but that has its own set of problems.