Oculus Quest 2 - Worth it!

Nalfeyn

Hey everyone, I wanted to share my experience with my new Oculus Quest 2, so far, with you, since there was so much negativity about this headset.

I came from a Oculus Quest 1, where it was hard to spot aircraft in the distant and read cockpit elements.

With the Quest 2, I can read everything in the cockpit of the F/A 18 easy. Graphics are clean and smooth.

I'm currently playing on 1.5 PD setup in the Oculus App on Windows.

Graphics ingame are set to max, except shadows which are on flat.

MSAA is off - this gives a huge improvement on the yet so good graphics but has a huge impact on FPS.

Im running currently on a 1080ti - non OC.

If you're okay with linking your Oculus Account to your Facebook Account (I already had a Facebook account, so I really dont mind linking the shit together) this 350€ headset is totally worth it.

Users coming from the Rift or Quest will see a big improvement. I cant tell anything about users coming from the Rift S - but maybe some of you guys can share your experience too.

I'm planning on upgrading my computer in February/March - will keep this thread up to date.

• Like 1

Wow, can you please post all of your settings? I to have a 1080ti and if I set my PD to 1.5, it becomes a slide show. I had to revert back to 1.0 to get descents FPS, I'm getting about 35 fps. Sweet spot is really tiny though, everything  is blurry for me unless it is straight in front. You came from Q1 and I came from CV1 so our views are going to be different. Q2 is a great product and for DCS it is descent for the price. However, I wish CV1 has the resolution of Q2, it would be an awesome headset for DCS.

• Like 1

Win 10 · i9900K@stock · 4070Ti· ASUS Z390-A · SSD · 64Gb · TM Warthog · CV1 · Quest 2

3 hours ago, Gunfighter6 said:

Wow, can you please post all of your settings? I to have a 1080ti and if I set my PD to 1.5, it becomes a slide show. I had to revert back to 1.0 to get descents FPS, I'm getting about 35 fps. Sweet spot is really tiny though, everything  is blurry for me unless it is straight in front. You came from Q1 and I came from CV1 so our views are going to be different. Q2 is a great product and for DCS it is descent for the price. However, I wish CV1 has the resolution of Q2, it would be an awesome headset for DCS.

Noticed the same issue, you might try changing distortion curvature to low in the Oculus Debug tool.

7 hours ago, Gunfighter6 said:

This is why I went for the HP Reverb G2, it is essentially a huge improvement on the CV1. 

Unfortunately my Rig is not powerful enough to do it justice, however at 50% SS in SteamVR, 1.0 PD it looks absolutely stunning. Downside is WMR, the Oculus software was a lot easier to play with, I wish that they could have just used SteamVR and avoided WMR.

Holding out for either the 6800XT or the 3080TI then I can really do this headset justice.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

10 hours ago, Gunfighter6 said:

I recently saw a video on the small sweet spot in the quest 2, there might be a problem with the lenses. Just a certain batch that has this problem. Check out MRTV on YouTube he had a video on it few days ago. 

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Another question, how is the battery life of the Q2. Does it get power through the link cable too? 

Peter

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

13 minutes ago, DutchCoolHand said:

Another question, how is the battery life of the Q2. Does it get power through the link cable too? 

Peter

Yes, particularly if you have a well powered USB port. I use a StarTech USB expansion card and the Quest stays charged indefinitely 🙂

• Like 1

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

On 1/4/2021 at 5:06 AM, DutchCoolHand said:

I recently saw a video on the small sweet spot in the quest 2, there might be a problem with the lenses. Just a certain batch that has this problem. Check out MRTV on YouTube he had a video on it few days ago. 

I think you're talking about MRTV's video, but it was about the Reverb G2 not the Quest 2.

Coming from a Rift S (Oculus devices are generally the best Fresnel lenses regarding sweet spot), I was indeed a bit disappointed by the smallest sweet spot of the G2, that's why I was so interrested in his videos. But yesterday, he released a new video where he tried a new G2 coming from Amazon Spain (same as me, probably the same batch), and sweet spot was exactly the same. He is also awainting 8 other headsets from the community to check if there is a difference, and may be, a lens batch with lower quality in this regard, so we will see... But I doubt it.

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

Hi Pride, you are correct. I saw yesterday’s video too.

Oculus App lets you set the render resolution not pixel density. 

To achieve native resolution (3664x1920) in the sweetspot you will need to set render resolution to 5408x2736 (due to lense barrel distortion). This is the most confusing part about the Q2 setup because most people think setting the slider to 1.7x at 72Hz or 1.5x at 90Hz (=5408x2736) is a supersampling multiplier, which it isnt. This Tweet by Volga Aksoy explaines this.

Edited by Vitralette
  • Like 1

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

ASUS GeForce RTX3070 Dual | 1980MHz | 8GB GDDR6  

G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200-CL16 | 32GB   

Oculus Quest 2

F/A-18C Hornet | UH-1H Huey

In my opinion: Yes! Definately. I came from the Q1 and things are way clearer now. I had problems spotting distant aircraft or ground units before, which is now easy.

Things in the distant on Q1 kinda just disappeared due to the fast, that the Q1 had not enough pixel to show those. Cockpit elements are super clear - Reading stu on the DDI is very simple.

Oculus App lets you set the render resolution not pixel density. 

To achieve native resolution (3664x1920) in the sweetspot you will need to set render resolution to 5408x2736 (due to lense barrel distortion). This is the most confusing part about the Q2 setup because most people think setting the slider to 1.7x at 72Hz or 1.5x at 90Hz (=5408x2736) is a supersampling multiplier, which it isnt. This Tweet by Volga Aksoy explaines this.

Okay - I guess my english is not good enough to understand his tweet.

How do I optain the best Settings?

Setting the Slider in Oculus Software to 1.5 or Setting the pixel density to 1.5 in the OTT?

Edited by Nalfeyn

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Nalfeyn:

In my opinion: Yes! Definately. I came from the Q1 and things are way clearer now. I had problems spotting distant aircraft or ground units before, which is now easy.

Things in the distant on Q1 kinda just disappeared due to the fast, that the Q1 had not enough pixel to show those. Cockpit elements are super clear - Reading stu on the DDI is very simple.

Okay - I guess my english is not good enough to understand his tweet.

How do I optain the best Settings?

Setting the Slider in Oculus Software to 1.5 or Setting the pixel density to 1.5 in the OTT?

Slider in Oculus Software to max, if your PC can handle it.

I would not recommend using OTT anymore since the developer stopped the support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5okoju/oculus_tray_tool/

Pixel Density in OTT or ODT (Oculus Debug Tool) to 1.0 (in ODT that is just a 0 for default settings).

I would also recommend to leave every other setting in OTT or ODT at default because since Link v.23 that stuff is all tuned automatically based on your slider settings, except for forcing ASW of course.

Ansonsten auch gerne auf deutsch 😉

OA.PNG.61874f161814814445875beda3cddc86.png

ODT.PNG.e40dad81b7f88ef74b35a290e2f2d9f1.png

Edited by Vitralette

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

ASUS GeForce RTX3070 Dual | 1980MHz | 8GB GDDR6  

G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200-CL16 | 32GB   

Oculus Quest 2

F/A-18C Hornet | UH-1H Huey

On 1/3/2021 at 2:39 PM, Nalfeyn said:

Hey everyone, I wanted to share my experience with my new Oculus Quest 2, so far, with you, since there was so much negativity about this headset.

I came from a Oculus Quest 1, where it was hard to spot aircraft in the distant and read cockpit elements.

With the Quest 2, I can read everything in the cockpit of the F/A 18 easy. Graphics are clean and smooth.

I'm currently playing on 1.5 PD setup in the Oculus App on Windows.

Graphics ingame are set to max, except shadows which are on flat.

MSAA is off - this gives a huge improvement on the yet so good graphics but has a huge impact on FPS.

Im running currently on a 1080ti - non OC.

If you're okay with linking your Oculus Account to your Facebook Account (I already had a Facebook account, so I really dont mind linking the shit together) this 350€ headset is totally worth it.

Users coming from the Rift or Quest will see a big improvement. I cant tell anything about users coming from the Rift S - but maybe some of you guys can share your experience too.

I'm planning on upgrading my computer in February/March - will keep this thread up to date.

hi there quest 2 user here also ...whats your setting regarding when using the HMD coz its too blurry for me i cant see nothing when i look to my  right or left

13 hours ago, sonny15 said:

hi there quest 2 user here also ...whats your setting regarding when using the HMD coz its too blurry for me i cant see nothing when i look to my  right or left

Same for me great clear cockpit but looking out side its all blurry .

What's going on .

why cockpit clear and sharp but out views or out of focus and blurry .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

7 hours ago, Con said:

Same for me great clear cockpit but looking out side its all blurry .

What's going on .

why cockpit clear and sharp but out views or out of focus and blurry .

Check out the cockpit with a G2 and your Quest2 cockpit will look very much blurry to you 🙂

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

We got you. As well as ten other threads. We know, that G2 has better visuals. 

The thing with the G2 is problematic Software support, horrible controller tracking and the price of 700 Euro compared to 350 for the Q2. 

I dont want to spend 700€ on a headset which has got great views but I cant play any shooter with, cause the controller tracking sucks. 

• Like 1

Not hearing that about the G2 controllers at all. No idea what you talking about with software support and price diff is not that wide:  G2 + controllers is £640 vs Quest2 + controller + link cable £390.

But no one is forcing you to spend the money anyway. If u like flying on a Quest 2 plse do.  I'm just saying I don't. It's a free country.

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

I have a G2 and a 3090 running on i9 at 5.1. I came from a rift s (1.6SS). I prefer the rift s. Why? The G2 won't run any higher than 80% and keep above 45fps in all the scenarios I need it to. With the settings I have it does maintain this 95% of the time, however when it doesn't (and DCS has those fps sinks on any system) 44fps reprojection goes off and the experience is horrible. Rift s will go down to 20 and its not great, but bearable and I can push through until it improves. I can also run the rift s at 40fps all the time on extremely high settings, basically nearly everythin maxed. The things that are off the top spot are partly due to visual preference rather than performance. G2 to run at the 45fps I have lower settings and way more shimmering. I also have the 'small sweet spot face shape' as for me the image drops in quality steeply outside of the centre. This is not something I am used to with my 1.6 SS'd rift maybe because the overall image is a bit lower the difference between the edge and the centre just don't seem as noticeable. Yes the rift has SDE, but I mostly don't notice anymore

So I post this here because I am seriously thinking of switching G2 for Quest 2 so that I can basically just get a higher res rift S experience as that is what I prefer. I have so far spent many hours flying in DCS, in a rift s, with a G2 sat on the shelf..... 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Not hearing that about the G2 controllers at all. No idea what you talking about with software support and price diff is not that wide:  G2 + controllers is £640 vs Quest2 + controller + link cable £390.

But no one is forcing you to spend the money anyway. If u like flying on a Quest 2 plse do.  I'm just saying I don't. It's a free country.

You didnt? Then watch as many as reviews to the G2. They all have one thing in common. G2 has best visuals and a very bad controller tracking. 

1 hour ago, Hoirtel said:

I have a G2 and a 3090 running on i9 at 5.1. I came from a rift s (1.6SS). I prefer the rift s. Why? The G2 won't run any higher than 80% and keep above 45fps in all the scenarios I need it to. With the settings I have it does maintain this 95% of the time, however when it doesn't (and DCS has those fps sinks on any system) 44fps reprojection goes off and the experience is horrible. Rift s will go down to 20 and its not great, but bearable and I can push through until it improves. I can also run the rift s at 40fps all the time on extremely high settings, basically nearly everythin maxed. The things that are off the top spot are partly due to visual preference rather than performance. G2 to run at the 45fps I have lower settings and way more shimmering. I also have the 'small sweet spot face shape' as for me the image drops in quality steeply outside of the centre. This is not something I am used to with my 1.6 SS'd rift maybe because the overall image is a bit lower the difference between the edge and the centre just don't seem as noticeable. Yes the rift has SDE, but I mostly don't notice anymore

So I post this here because I am seriously thinking of switching G2 for Quest 2 so that I can basically just get a higher res rift S experience as that is what I prefer. I have so far spent many hours flying in DCS, in a rift s, with a G2 sat on the shelf..... 

Weird.  Got to do with settings.  I have i7 and 3080 and DCS never goes 'not smooth'.  Normally runs 60-90fps but never noticed when it drop below (I only play single player so far). And I have DCS setting high pretty much everywhere. but no MSAA and PD @0.8 with SteamVr setting at 70% resolution.  Happy to compare more settings if helpful. PM if needed

51 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Weird.  Got to do with settings.  I have i7 and 3080 and DCS never goes 'not smooth'.  Normally runs 60-90fps but never noticed when it drop below (I only play single player so far). And I have DCS setting high pretty much everywhere. but no MSAA and PD @0.8 with SteamVr setting at 70% resolution.  Happy to compare more settings if helpful. PM if needed

Its not always settings. Its also how you use the game. I too am mostly SP but always start on the ground with statics populating the airfields, this is usually where I get the sinks or on the deck of the super carrier (channel map has a few too!) I do have some AI units but also like to play through campaigns and single missions where there are always some AI and statics. (I'm mostly CPU limited now). No MSAA and a lower PD will help keep it higher. Must admit I never under sampled the PD, prefer to change scale in one place. But might be worth a look. I really can't bear it with no MSAA far too much shimmer on buildings but again this will depend on the light and weather you have set. I try for my worst and directly compare against what I had. 

Also if you see 60-90 displayed them you must not be using motion reprojection which I also cannot do. It might be ok in the higher values but up to 60 at least isn't smooth enough for me. 70% render will also help, but again too soft in comparison to my SS rift S. VR is so subjective and I think people just experience things differently and have different previous experiences which impact how they view the 'new' experience. So many variables.....