Oculus Quest 2 - Worth it!

Nalfeyn

I have extensive experience with the Varjo XR-1 used for flight simulation due to my work. So I can't give you a comparison against the G2 but against the Ferrari of VR/MR (at least it was until the XR-3 came out about a month ago). It still has way higher sweet spot resolution than the G2 (XR-1 60 ppd vs. G2 22ppd).

Compared to the eye-wateringly expensive "human eye resolution in sweet-spot" of the XR-1:

Has the XR-1 higher resolution? Yes.

Much better? No.

Is there a "oh my god this is amazing compared to Q2" in the XR-1? No.

Price to Performance? Q2 blows everything else on the market out of the water.

So to say I am impressed with the Q2 would be an understatement. Ontop of Oculus Link providing a brilliant PCVR experience due to ASW support, you also can use it in wireless mode via Virtual Desktop which works flawlessly (e.g. Half Life Alyx). Though this may not be of any interrest to you if you are only looking for a device for seated simulation. But to me this is an immense feature. I am certain that wireless VR is the short term future, once Virtual Desktop is able to add ASW or a similar technology into the mix (ATW is already supported).

Edited by Vitralette

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

ASUS GeForce RTX3070 Dual | 1980MHz | 8GB GDDR6  

G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200-CL16 | 32GB   

Oculus Quest 2

F/A-18C Hornet | UH-1H Huey

11 minutes ago, Vitralette said:

I have extensive experience with the Varjo XR-1 used for flight simulation due to my work. So I can't give you a comparison against the G2 but against the Ferrari of VR/MR (at least it was until the XR-3 came out about a month ago). It still has way higher sweet spot resolution than the G2 (XR-1 60 ppd vs. G2 22ppd).

Compared to the eye-wateringly expensive "human eye resolution in sweet-spot" of the XR-1:

Has the XR-1 higher resolution? Yes.

Much better? No.

Is there a "oh my god this is amazing compared to Q2" in the XR-1? No.

Price to Performance? Q2 blows everything else on the market out of the water.

So to say I am impressed with the Q2 would be an understatement. Ontop of Oculus Link providing a brilliant PCVR experience due to ASW support, you also can use it in wireless mode via Virtual Desktop which works flawlessly (e.g. Half Life Alyx). Though this may not be of any interrest to you if you are only looking for a device for seated simulation. But to me this is an immense feature. I am certain that wireless VR is the short term future, once Virtual Desktop is able to add ASW or a similar technology into the mix.

Very interesting. I've wondered what these Varjo's are like but as I'm a mere mortal I wont expect to find out🤣. Interesting what you say about it compared to the Q2. 

Have you used the xr-1 in dcs? I presume that it's just too demanding for dcs with its current demands on a CPU thread.

Edited by Hoirtel

On 1/13/2021 at 7:53 AM, Brainfreeze said:

Check out the cockpit with a G2 and your Quest2 cockpit will look very much blurry to you 🙂

Not that reply is any help . Thanks but no thanks this is a quest2 thread . 🤔

• Like 2

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Is the Q2 much of an improvement on the rift s in terms of actually being able to read dials/displays in the cockpit? If it is a big improvement does this have a big impact on performance? 

I currently use a rift s with super sampling set to 1.3 in the OTT, if I had a Q2 could I get similar performance with SS at 0 but be able to read stuff in the cockpit better?

RTX 4090, AMD 5800x3D, 32GB Ram 

32 minutes ago, Flyingfish said:

Is the Q2 much of an improvement on the rift s in terms of actually being able to read dials/displays in the cockpit?

It will depend on cockpits.  For me I can't use the INS panel on a mirage without zooming on the Quest 2.  In the harrier, the MFD is also not readable without zooming most of the time (reflections etc). most of the other stuff is normally pretty readable. It is not super sharp but clear enough. 

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

4 hours ago, Flyingfish said:

Is the Q2 much of an improvement on the rift s in terms of actually being able to read dials/displays in the cockpit? If it is a big improvement does this have a big impact on performance? 

I currently use a rift s with super sampling set to 1.3 in the OTT, if I had a Q2 could I get similar performance with SS at 0 but be able to read stuff in the cockpit better?

I've just switched from a G2 to a Q2. I used to use a rift S at 1.5ss. I much prefer the oculus ASW and general feel over the G2. The Q2 for me at the moment is better than my rift, bit sharper but no screen door. However to get this I am throwing a sh*t ton of power at it (3090) as the link cable is a downside. I run at 80hz +full res in oculus device graphics, 1.2 SS in oculus tray tool with a res width of 4000 and bitrate on 500. 1.3+ SS look really fantastic but sadly it gets laggy on deck of SC and low level flight so no good. I feel that the quest 2 can look great but link cable needs more power than it should to get there. Hope that helps!

On 1/9/2021 at 2:55 PM, Vitralette said:

Oculus App lets you set the render resolution not pixel density. 

To achieve native resolution (3664x1920) in the sweetspot you will need to set render resolution to 5408x2736 (due to lense barrel distortion). This is the most confusing part about the Q2 setup because most people think setting the slider to 1.7x at 72Hz or 1.5x at 90Hz (=5408x2736) is a supersampling multiplier, which it isnt. This Tweet by Volga Aksoy explaines this.

What are your VR settings in DCS? 1.0 pixel density?

Edited by Caster
Posted twice

Fly fast and leave a pretty wreck

10 minutes ago, Caster said:

Soo.... Set it to 1.0?

1.0 is no change. Anything over 1.0 is super sampling anything under is undersampling. Start with 1.1 and work up until it won't work anymore. Depends on your system power. This has a big effect on performance and visual quality. 

Am 18.1.2021 um 21:59 schrieb Caster:

Soo.... Set it to 1.0?

Am 18.1.2021 um 21:46 schrieb Hoirtel:

Don't use PD. Use pixel override in oculus debug tool or supersampling in oculus tray (3rd party app - just controls the debug tool for you). 

Don't use Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) because its not being supported any longer by the dev.

If you have to then leave all settings to default. Meaning PD = 1.0.

Oculus Debug Tool (ODT): Same as OTT. Leave everything at Default. "Pixels Per Display Override" = 0 (same as PD =1.0).

DCS - PD = 1.0

The only slider you crank up until your PC melts is the render resolution slider within oculus software.

If you can set it to max (5408x2736) your Q2 will run at native resolution without any up or downsampling.

Edited by Vitralette

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

ASUS GeForce RTX3070 Dual | 1980MHz | 8GB GDDR6  

G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200-CL16 | 32GB   

Oculus Quest 2

F/A-18C Hornet | UH-1H Huey

58 minutes ago, Vitralette said:

I dont know why you think that, version 0.87 was released just 3 days ago, the autoupdate function in OTT works perfectly just click update. 
ApollyonVR is doing a good job with it. Can be somewhat hard to find if one likes to download a installer also apart from just clicking autoupdate but  I have been able to locate them so far 

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

58 minutes ago, Vitralette said:

Don't use Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) because, its not being supported any longer by the dev.

Oculus Debug Tool (ODT): Same as OTT. Leave everything at Default. "Pixels Per Display Override" = 0 (same as PD =1.0).

DCS - PD = 1.0

The only slider you crank up until your PC melts is the render resolution slider withing oculus software.

If you can set it to max (5408x2736) your Q2 will run at native resolution without any up or downsampling.

8 hours ago, Vitralette said:

Don't use Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) because its not being supported any longer by the dev.

DCS - PD = 1.0

The only slider you crank up until your PC melts is the render resolution slider within oculus software.

Yeah agreed about the OTT tool, just use the debug tool.

I personally have the oculus resolution slider maxed and set 1.2 in the debug. I personally find this improves the visuals by a good margin, 1.3 and 1.4 look even better but its very demanding on performance!

• 8 months later...
On 1/17/2021 at 8:14 AM, Flyingfish said:

Yes its very clear . Fly the P47 and its amazing in VR . Quest2 . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Ya I didn't believe the hype about Q2 vs Rift s,  went and got a Q2, wow way better than rift s.  I run it at native res in the oculus app and with the new sharpening they have its crazy how much more you can read and also the screen door is so small I rarely ever notice it.  Plugged rift s back in and was like wow pixels and screen door galore.  So ya guess some times you have to believe the hype.  Glad I took the chance and got the Q2.

Now ii would like to eventually upgrade my 1080ti.....

• Like 1

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

34 minutes ago, dureiken said:

Hi,

I have a Reverb and a Q2, but only tried first one for DCS. Wondering how good Q2 would be.

Do you use link cable or wifi ? and which software to emulate Q2 for PC ?

thanks a lot

Reverb should have better image clarity.

For Quest 2 you can use either Link Cable or Airlink ( need good wifi).

Oculus software works natively with DCS, no other software needed.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

11 minutes ago, dureiken said:

I just need airlink ?

You can use Air Link or Link with cable.

Whatever fits your use case the best.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 10/20/2021 at 11:23 PM, Enduro14 said:

Ya I didn't believe the hype about Q2 vs Rift s,  went and got a Q2, wow way better than rift s.  I run it at native res in the oculus app and with the new sharpening they have its crazy how much more you can read and also the screen door is so small I rarely ever notice it.  Plugged rift s back in and was like wow pixels and screen door galore.  So ya guess some times you have to believe the hype.  Glad I took the chance and got the Q2.

Now ii would like to eventually upgrade my 1080ti.....

What's this new sharpening your talking about . ? 

is your 1080ti - 11GB .

On 10/21/2021 at 8:17 PM, dureiken said:

Hi,

I have a Reverb and a Q2, but only tried first one for DCS. Wondering how good Q2 would be.

Do you use link cable or wifi ? and which software to emulate Q2 for PC ?

thanks a lot

Link cable for DCS . 

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Update 33 for the Quest 2 software including an enhancement to the sharpening for the Quest 2.  I don't have one, so can't comment from experience, but online comments have been very positive.

• Thanks 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

1 hour ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Update 33 for the Quest 2 software including an enhancement to the sharpening for the Quest 2.  I don't have one, so can't comment from experience, but online comments have been very positive.

Its a nice boost to clarity. But comes with a little extra aliasing. 

3 hours ago, KoN said:

Check your Oculus Debug Tool. If you have v33 you will see a new option for link sharpening. Its on Auto by default but maybe try Enabled to ensure its working for you.

Edited by Hoirtel
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KoN said:

is your 1080ti - 11GB .

Link cable for DCS . 

Yes Evga 11gb 1080ti.  Shes still rocking but as dcs gets more and more graphically intense and VR headsets resolution goes up,  she's getting a little behind.  ALso yes i cant comment on Quest 2 pre v33 as i literally just got mine 2 weeks ago.  But it was a immediate improvement compared to my rift s.  Mi24 i can read basically everything but do realize the most clear resolution area of q2 is in the center.  Overall very happy and its dynamic 72hz up to 120hz so you can set it up to what your rig can push best.  Now today supposedly Quest pro or whatever may be Announced so curious to see That.

13 minutes ago, Enduro14 said:

Yes Evga 11gb 1080ti.  Shes still rocking but as dcs gets more and more graphically intense and VR headsets resolution goes up,  she's getting a little behind.  ALso yes i cant comment on Quest 2 pre v33 as i literally just got mine 2 weeks ago.  But it was a immediate improvement compared to my rift s.  Mi24 i can read basically everything but do realize the most clear resolution area of q2 is in the center.  Overall very happy and its dynamic 72hz up to 120hz so you can set it up to what your rig can push best.  Now today supposedly Quest pro or whatever may be Announced so curious to see That.

Yep not much longer. Interestingly not been much in the way of "leaks" this week on a new device. I am anxious to see if there is talk of a Pro model and what it entails. My gut tells me most of the focus will be on Social VR and bringing more into the FB ecosystem.

Edited by dburne

Don B

11 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yep not much longer. Interestingly not been much in the way of "leaks" this week on a new device. I am anxious to see if there is talk of a Pro model and what it entails. My gut tells me most of the focus will be on Social VR and bringing more into the FB ecosystem.

Ya exactly,  I do miss when oculus was just focused on pc environment.  No fan of social stuff and don't participate with my quest 2 or Rift s.  One rumor I saw sad it had two usb c connections  but at this point its all dust in the wind until its Released.

• Like 1