P-47 Engine Failure during landing approach.

Lykurgus

My engine always seems to die approaching an airfield. Everything is good with the engine...all the temps and pressures are good. Boost is set to off for quite some time. Throttle is not pulled back to idle or anything like that. Prop pitch is set to auto and full forward. Then it gradually loses power and I can hear the bearings I think.

You may be windmilling the engine, which puts the load on the wrong side of the crankshaft and can wreck the bearings and engine depending on how badly the engine was being windmilled. The loaded side of the crankshaft journals feature a lubrication hole that protects the crank from the forces of the power stroke from each cylinder, since each power stroke applies force to the same spot on the crankshaft. When being windmilled, the forces are reversed, applying force to the opposite side of the crankshaft without the lubrication hole.

Try keeping a little more power on, so that the engine is driving the prop during your approach.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

22 minutes ago, Nealius said:

I thought the manuals said to cut throttle to idle? When I do that at 2550rpm, I land, but at the end of my landing rollout the engine quits.

yes you need to cut throttle, but question is when ?

you can cut throttle just before touch down or after cut down.

I land at 2550rpm and i descend and make approach with 25"-26"

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

What is "cut down?"

I land at 2550rpm and whatever MP I need to keep 150~160mph in the base turn, and 120mph in the final. I cut throttle just before crossing the threshold, flare to 3-point landing. Then as I'm hitting the wheel brakes my engine quits.

Edited by Nealius

• ED Team
13 minutes ago, grafspee said:

yes you need to cut throttle, but question is when ?

you can cut throttle just before touch down or after cut down.

I land at 2550rpm and i descend and make approach with 25"-26"

If the approach speed is standard, I think, you need to have sufficient MP to get 2550, in my case I see that the prop is at fine stop and rpm are lower.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, Nealius said:

"Fine stop" means prop lever full forward? 

No, it means that though the rpm lever is at 2550 position, the prop pitch is minimal, and the speed and low MP are insufficient to maintain 2550.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

At the time my engine died on the runway, instruments were indicating 200rpm and 30" MP. Any idea what would cause that? I did not exceed 2550/42 during the duration of the flight (except takeoff at max rpm 46"), and I smoothly reduced throttle to idle before crossing the threshold, just as in grafspee's video.

2 minutes ago, Nealius said:

At the time my engine died on the runway, instruments were indicating 200rpm and 30" MP. Any idea what would cause that? I did not exceed 2550/42 during the duration of the flight (except takeoff at max rpm 46"), and I smoothly reduced throttle to idle before crossing the threshold, just as in grafspee's video.

Did you take off at 2550 or 2700 rpm ?

Got your engine warmed up ?? Oil pressure and temp in limits ?

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

4 minutes ago, grafspee said:

Did you take off at 2550 or 2700 rpm ?

Got your engine warmed up ?? Oil pressure and temp in limits ?

Takeoff at 2700 and 46", as she would not give me 52" even with full throttle. Engine warmed up at 900rpm until temps within limits, plus the magneto checks at 30" and 2000rpm. CHT between 150~200 the entire flight.

Edited by Nealius

On 1/3/2021 at 1:25 PM, Lykurgus said:

My engine always seems to die approaching an airfield. Everything is good with the engine...all the temps and pressures are good. Boost is set to off for quite some time. Throttle is not pulled back to idle or anything like that. Prop pitch is set to auto and full forward. Then it gradually loses power and I can hear the bearings I think.

Carburetor icing possibly?

• 2 weeks later...

What does mission debrief say? If you damaged the bearings, it will say so there.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

On 1/19/2021 at 8:14 PM, Tiger-II said:

What does mission debrief say? If you damaged the bearings, it will say so there.

Good tip!  Do you know if there is any way to see if bearing damage was cause of failure when you are playing multiplayer?   

I am among the ones frustrated with with the tenderness of the engine.   No matter how gently it’s treated, it  seems the engine is only seconds away from destruction if subjected to momentary windmilling.  If this is true behavior, i guess it’s acceptable.  But it’s really hard to tell when that transition to windmilling occurs because of the lack of physical feedback.  

Edit: took another long cross country flight.   Kept rpms 2550 and mp pressure as high as I could during approach and landing.   Another engine failure on roll out.  Frustrating end to a nice flight.    Think Ill try again tonight with linked prop/throttle to see if that helps

Edited by Cgjunk2
  • Like 1

Yes... while I don't doubt that it could be quite sensitive to mis-handling, I'd think it is more robust than we are seeing in the sim otherwise there would be a lot of destroyed engines IRL, and AFAIK that simply isn't the case (and if it was, those engines would be replaced with something better pretty darn quick).

Something that is often forgotten is these WW2 birds were flown by pilots with very little experience, and they'd need to be fairly robust to survive war and the low-time pilots that were flying them.

I really think the sim is over-exaggerating these things.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I also suspect the sim is exaggerating things for the reason that a lot of data is probably sourced from air-worthy survivors, which are undoubtedly pampered and coddled unlike a wartime machine would have been.

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

@Tiger-III wouldn't say VERY little experience… in mid 44’, pilots went through 10 weeks each of primary, basic, and advanced flight training, plus another 5+ weeks? of transition training before being assigned to an operational fighter unit. Certainly a lot more training than many of us sim pilots will ever get.

Personally, myself nor the other P-47 pilots I fly with have had significant difficulty with engine management or engine failure. Only when temperatures and operational limits are neglected have I experienced engine damage. Not to say that the modeling may not be inaccurate or bugged. I’m only speaking from my own experience with the plane.

Edited by Ketchup
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Personally, myself nor the other P-47 pilots I fly with have had significant difficulty with engine management or engine failure. Only when temperatures and operational limits are neglected have I experienced engine damage. Not to say that the modeling may not be inaccurate or bugged. I’m only speaking from my own experience with the plane.

That's my current experience with the Jug.

In fact IMHO engine handling in the Jug can be summed up by these rules (at least they work for me):

NEVER exceed MP limits (52 without water, 64 with water)

NEVER dive with full RPM (1550 works best)

NEVER dive with less than 30 InHg of MP

NEVER leave turbo in front of the throttle

Avoid high RPM/low throttle and low RPM/high throttle settings

Keep the throttle and turbo interconnected at all times below 25k ft (for simplicity's sake)

Follow those rules and you should have no problems operating the engine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

This one always confuses me. It's not quite possible to avoid these situations during takeoff and landing phases. 

It's the actual prop rpm that counts, not prop lever position.

At low speeds you can have your prop lever fully forward and still have low prop rpm.

On the flip side, if you're very fast (for ex. when diving). You can have the prop lever fully aft and high prop rpm.