Spotting is really bad

Snapage

30 minutes ago, flygav said:

In addition to the close-up issues...

What gets my goat is... At least using a screen is you have no peripheral vision, compared to other sims. You have tunnel vision and have a hard time finding the plane you just merged with... and if you lose sight of the other plane in a dogfight you are pretty much dead. Maybe its better in VR but on a screen it really bits.  

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 This is new. So, a problem already there since ever, back in times we didn't even have trackIr or panoramic vision in sims, just flat screens like changing cameras with a photo of the cockpit from that angle, at best. Most of the time you flew just looking forward and that was all. And now you discover this is a problem with DCS and anything else ever because you have no peripheral vision but in other arcades apparently your screen is bigger and you do 😅😅 . You people are so funny at times… :megalol::megalol::megalol:

• Like 2

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 1 month later...

What helped me a lot in DCS WW2 to recognize other planes better is Reshade, you can use it to make the game itself more beautiful and also increase the contrasts a bit, this was a real game changer for me, I could recognize planes MUCH better and then never lost sight of them.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:18 AM, Hobel said:

What helped me a lot in DCS WW2 to recognize other planes better is Reshade, you can use it to make the game itself more beautiful and also increase the contrasts a bit, this was a real game changer for me, I could recognize planes MUCH better and then never lost sight of them.

What settings do you find most useful for that?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

8 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

For me those that defog the default smoggy atmosphere (make the air more clean & clear) and a must for debbuging the contact from the background: all kind of sharperners. For colouring some people use colourful, curves,... Diehards even lower the resolution of their monitors due pixels are bigger at lower res, but it's kinda stupid play DCS and watch it like if you were playing "1990 : The Secret of Monkey Island". 

• Like 1

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

9 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

basically what Old Crow says, a little tweaking of conrtast and color saturation makes a difference

the main thing is that the gray veil disappears

0_big.jpg

Edited by Hobel
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2022 at 6:14 AM, Hobel said:

basically what Old Crow says, a little tweaking of conrtast and color saturation makes a difference

the main thing is that the gray veil disappears

0_big.jpg

Yeah I've used the adaptive sharpening which helps every look 1000% better. IDK why ED doesn't include this as a default thing TBH, i mean its night and day. I have upped saturation for the G2 since it looks terrible without it, but I haven't really played much with contrast stuff. 

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 4/29/2022 at 6:04 PM, Harlikwin said:

Yeah I've used the adaptive sharpening which helps every look 1000% better. IDK why ED doesn't include this as a default thing TBH, i mean its night and day. I have upped saturation for the G2 since it looks terrible without it, but I haven't really played much with contrast stuff. 

What programs did you use for that?

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

1 hour ago, Gunfreak said:

What programs did you use for that?

Only one: RESHADE and it's for free and you can use it in "whatever" game you have installed in your computer. Just google Reshade, install it, check out any YTube tutorial about DCS & RESHADE and enjoy it.

Edited by OLD CROW
  • Thanks 1

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

For the guys out there with spotting issues...

I had the same problem spotting planes (while using an 4k widescreen monitor) which are more than 2-3km away from me. I even lost them sometimes in a dogfight.

I than played a bit with Reshade. Now i can spot planes which are around 25-40km away from me. I even can spot them easier when they are flying low on the ground ur high up in the sky.

In Reshade i used the option "cartoon". I played a little bit with this option so the graphics looks nearly the same as before. But now i can spot them much easier when they are far away. I also dont have to zoom in all the time so spot planes.

Just give it a try guys!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It comes down to the fact that the sim was really not primarily designed in the first place with WVR combat in mind. A robust, realistic, and scalable method for rendering airborne contacts visually was simply not a requirement. Widespread VR adoption for sims, including this one, has only served to exacerbate the problem.

I have my doubts that this will change any time soon.

20 hours ago, kablamoman said:

It comes down to the fact that the sim was really not primarily designed in the first place with WVR combat in mind. A robust, realistic, and scalable method for rendering airborne contacts visually was simply not a requirement. Widespread VR adoption for sims, including this one, has only served to exacerbate the problem.

I have my doubts that this will change any time soon.

Ed has said before that they don't want to implement anything like smart scaling, though I think it would be a boon to VR users. 

• Like 1

Since the Vulkan engine actually must change all of that, and they have to redo every shader and everything, why could it not change in a near future? The sole aim for VR might make a change in spotting also from a screen. Who knows, but it would make absolute sense (no info about that to my knowledge) they tweak that together with so many things they have to tweak, redo, change, make new from scratch, whatever.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 3/7/2022 at 12:09 PM, flygav said:

In addition to the close-up issues...

What gets my goat is... At least using a screen is you have no peripheral vision, compared to other sims. You have tunnel vision and have a hard time finding the plane you just merged with... and if you lose sight of the other plane in a dogfight you are pretty much dead. Maybe its better in VR but on a screen it really bits.  

I think the bold text is unfortunately very true and something that is missing from most other SIM's/Games... But at least DCS strives for realism. 

• Like 1