My 3090 Settings for my G2 (2.7.11)

speed-of-heat

It’s not that. Is the nonsensical comparison with 1.0 + 200% and 0.5 + 500%, for example. One is 200% and the other is 125%. Of course there is going to be an ‘improvement’! 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Just now, imacken said:

It’s not that. Is the nonsensical comparison with 1.0 + 200% and 0.5 + 500%, for example. One is 200% and the other is 125%. Of course there is going to be an ‘improvement’! 

Just try it, look at aliasing/shimmer and FPS between the two. 

I will buy you a plate of spaghetti!

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Of course there will be an improvement in FPS as I said, because you’re pushing around about half the pixels!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

6 minutes ago, imacken said:

Of course there will be an improvement in FPS as I said, because you’re pushing around about half the pixels!

So reading comprehension fail.

That is what the OP claim was. And with less pixels it looks better, significantly. 

I never really saw a performance boost, even with less pixels. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It isn’t it’s just wasting people’s time.

1 minute ago, Harlikwin said:

So reading comprehension fail.

That is what the OP claim was. And with less pixels it looks better, significantly. 

I never really saw a performance boost, even with less pixels. 

No that was not the claim I made.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

It isn’t it’s just wasting people’s time.

No that was not the claim I made.

Not you the youtubers claim. 

AND yes I know it sounds nuts but there does seem to be something to it. 

Edited by Harlikwin

Good grief tuning this thing is hard enough, without people sprouting nonsense...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

2 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Good grief tuning this thing is hard enough, without people sprouting nonsense...

Try it I thought the same thing and was a surprised enough to think it's worth testing further. I thought it sounded like BS too. 

I have, it makes no difference.

Which if you had read the past 10 or 20 posts you would know.

in any test for like for like number of pixels you get, the same performance and the same visual acuity.

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harlikwin said:

Have people here seen the vid which claims you get better performance with:

Std setting: PD1.0 SteamVR 200%

Magic setting: PD0.5 SteamVR500% (20% claimed improvement compared to above)

I've been mucking about with it some, Certainly the .5pd setting looks very nice (insert borat here) (like 0 shimmer or other aliasing, and its surprisingly "clear".  But I'm not necessarily really seeing a huge performance increase (its not bad though, never under 45). What I am seeing is a massive increase in GPU usage (normally I'm running like 40%, and this bumps it into the 80% range). 

By default I'm running like PD1.0 and 74% SS (native res for reverb)

The whole thing sounded counterintuitive to me. But in terms of what it looks like graphically its actually very nice at 500%, even .5pd/300%. I'm just not really seeing a huge benefit frames wise.

I tested it with my Reverb G2.

I normally run G2 at 100% Steam VR and PD of 1.0.

I changed PD to .5 and Steam VR to 400% which should give the same image.

Looked sharper to me at my original setting. I could definitely see a difference, PD of .5 and Steam VR at 400% just did not look as good.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

32 minutes ago, dburne said:

I tested it with my Reverb G2.

I normally run G2 at 100% Steam VR and PD of 1.0.

I changed PD to .5 and Steam VR to 400% which should give the same image.

Looked sharper to me at my original setting. I could definitely see a difference, PD of .5 and Steam VR at 400% just did not look as good.

Interesting. And to be honest I haven't read the previous 20 posts, so I apologize if its already been covered.

But in general

PD 1 SS 74% (2160x2160) (my default) decent frames ~75 on avg (GPU 40)

PD .5 SS 200 looks about like my std setting frames ish the same or maybe a bit less (GPU 60%)

PD .5 SS 500% looks better, no aliasing/shimmering, 45-55 fps. (GPU 80%)

At any rate I was thinking that steam could offload AA onto the gpu more efficiently than DCS.

• Like 1

Hopefully this will be my last post on this subject!

TLDR or 0.5/500 

PD 0.5 and SS 500, provides exactly the same experience as PD 1.0 and SS 125.

Overview

I have undertaken 4 tests with my standard settings the only thing I changed was the PD setting and SS, Advanced Supersample Filtering was left turned on for all these tests as this seems to be a "significant" thing (spoiler alert... it wasn't).  The tests were conducted over the first few minutes in the  F-18 instant action mission in level flight in Caucuses, and a quit to desktop before each test was conducted after each settings set was applied, the FPS was only measured at the mission start but is telling, the frame times were measured over a 2 minute window  :

PD 1.0 SS 80% 

GPU 84%     GPU Frametime 8-10ms     CPU 28%     Frametime 8-10ms     7.8m Pixels per eye     45-90FPS

PD 0.5 SS 320% 

GPU 84%     GPU Frametime 8-10ms     CPU 28%     Frametime 8-10ms     7.8m Pixels per eye     45-90FPS

PD 0.5 SS 500% 

GPU 58%     GPU Frametime 11-12ms     CPU 16%     Frametime 8-10ms     12m Pixels per eye     45FPS  

PD 0.5 SS 80% 

GPU 54%     GPU Frametime 5-6ms       CPU 21%      Frametime 8-10ms     1.9m Pixels per eye    90FPS

N.B. Iain and I were discussing test 3 and why it was "odd" , which encouraged me to do some more testing and its a function of motion smoothing is set to enabled in steam VR essentially its doing less work, with motion smoothing disabled PD0.5/SS500% rises to GPU 92-95% and CPU 25-30%. I get exactly the same behaviour and view for PD1.0/SS125 which is the same number of pixels. But I would never recommend turning off Motion Smoothing for actual game play. 

In terms of visual acuity, I only looked in cockpit  at my normal settings and at the equivalent number of driven pixels. I genuinely honestly could not tell you the difference, these are the images which I conducted from an earlier test on those settings ...

Picture A

Screen_210317_075059.png

Picture B

Screen_210317_075249.png

whilst one MFD is in shadow, if anyone would like to show me which one is better in terms of clarity I'd be super grateful , it made no difference to shimmering etc... 

Conclusion 

I think it is possible to change performance drastically and quality by using PD, but only if you are driving different numbers of pixels, the way the render pipeline works as has been discussed before the game gets an x-y dimension that it renders against, there is no work rendered in steam and then separately in game (it doesn't render each eye twice, it renders each eye one time).  And I am now very fucking bored of this subject.   

Advice

If you individually are happy with your performance and quality then crack on with it, don't let me or anyone else tell you to be only happy "my way", if some one asks me for advice, I will tell them this; "I see no advantages at all in changing two sliders in different apps to achieve exactly the same effect that you can have with one slider, it introduces complexity and confusion".   

Edited by speed-of-heat
TLDR for people who can’t be arsed
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Might all be true, I'm seeing a gain in playability with alike "goodness" of the picture in my index with going down on PD and raise of SS 

Imagination?

Might be.

I don't care, glad I tried it and I will stay with that nonsensical voodoo. 

Edited by Lt_Jaeger

Sigh NMZNMM

You can achieve the same effect with PD1.0 and 125ss .

I'm glad you have something that works for you.

Edited by speed-of-heat

Thank you for the detailed instructions speed-of-heat, saved me a lot of time with my 3090 and G2.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:07 AM, speed-of-heat said:

buy fpsVR its worth the money, you are aiming for NO RED/Purple and as little orange/yellow as you can... esesntially you want both the CPU and GPU frametimes to be under 11ms as much as you can (which gives you 90fps) , or consistently never going above 22ms (which gives you 45) 

I bought fpsVR and in Free Flight mission on Caucasus map in the Hornet GPU is struggling more (mostly in range of 15-23ms, orange) than CPU (9-11ms, white) for me.

I have i7-10700K, 32Gb RAM 3600 DDR4 XMP, GTX 3090 FE, dedicated NVMe SSD 1TB for DCS, HP Reverb G2 (need to put all this into signature). I overclocked my CPU to 5.0GHz, also tried to slightly overclock GPU, but result was actually worse (I'm a noob at OCing though) so I rolled back to the default values. I have PD 1.0 and SS 80% as in your instructions, same NVidia and DCS settings. The only way to get 90 fps for me in this Free Flight mission was to fly at high altitude >30k, otherwise it's ~45fps and when very low sometimes 42-43fps which is somewhat disappointing. I didn't install VR Shaders Mod yet (or any other mods, I have only Tacview and SRS) it should buy me some fps I believe and from Hygiene section I only disabled HPET and Hyperthreading for now. Maybe after these steps it will be a bit better. Also flew couple of multiplayer missions on a server, CPU and GPU are more under load as expected (I see orange and even red for GPU more often, in high 30 - 45 fps).

Edited by lester
  • Like 1

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

• speed-of-heat changed the title to My 3090 Settings for my G2 (2.5.6)
58 minutes ago, lester said:

Thank you for the detailed instructions speed-of-heat, saved me a lot of time with my 3090 and G2.

I bought fpsVR and in Free Flight mission on Caucasus map in the Hornet GPU is struggling more (mostly in range of 15-23ms, orange) than CPU (9-11ms, white) for me.

I have i7-10700K, 32Gb RAM 3600 DDR4 XMP, GTX 3090 FE, dedicated NVMe SSD 1TB for DCS, HP Reverb G2 (need to put all this into signature). I overclocked my CPU to 5.0GHz, also tried to slightly overclock GPU, but result was actually worse (I'm a noob at OCing though) so I rolled back to the default values. I have PD 1.0 and SS 80% as in your instructions, same NVidia and DCS settings. The only way to get 90 fps for me in this Free Flight mission was to fly at high altitude >30k, otherwise it's ~45fps and when very low sometimes 42-43fps which is somewhat disappointing. I didn't install VR Shaders Mod yet (or any other mods, I have only Tacview and SRS) it should buy me some fps I believe and from Hygiene section I only disabled HPET and Hyperthreading for now. Maybe after these steps it will be a bit better. Also flew couple of multiplayer missions on a server, CPU and GPU are more under load as expected (I see orange and even red for GPU more often, in high 30 - 45 fps).

so i am getting 90 even in some low level scenarios.

looking at your posted frame times your GPU is being loaded much more heavily than mine, i would say you had high levels of shadows or SS turned on or maybe mirrors (completely guessing)

Glad it helped a little 

10 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

so i am getting 90 even in some low level scenarios.

looking at your posted frame times your GPU is being loaded much more heavily than mine, i would say you had high levels of shadows or SS turned on or maybe mirrors (completely guessing)

Glad it helped a little 

You are right, it looks like I didn't turn SSLR off 🤦‍♂️ (I also double-checked that mirrors are off and Shadows are Low). But when I turned it off, I started observing some weird artifacts when looking at the water over reflections in the cockpit glass during Caucasus Free Flight mission in the Hornet (and I was only able to get rid of them after I set MSAA to 2x). With SSLR off GPU load was a little bit lower, but I still can't reach 90 fps.

Thanks again

Edited by lester

BTW @speed-of-heat decided to install the vr shaders (full one and light one)... works gr8 in terms of fps gain (guess the water transparency is a lot of it) ... crashes DCS on multiplayer servers for me... just loading and then not responding. 

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

31 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

BTW @speed-of-heat decided to install the vr shaders (full one and light one)... works gr8 in terms of fps gain (guess the water transparency is a lot of it) ... crashes DCS on multiplayer servers for me... just loading and then not responding. 

only the IC pass version will work with multiplayer servers,

1 hour ago, lester said:

You are right, it looks like I didn't turn SSLR off 🤦‍♂️ (I also double-checked that mirrors are off and Shadows are Low). But when I turned it off, I started observing some weird artifacts when looking at the water over reflections in the cockpit glass during Caucasus Free Flight mission in the Hornet (and I was only able to get rid of them after I set MSAA to 2x). With SSLR off GPU load was a little bit lower, but I still can't reach 90 fps.

Thanks again

ah SSLR, yes that would do it 🙂

with MSAA on 2x you will not reach 90, i'm sorry to say, sounds like you might also have the fulstrum culling "fix" installed with your artefacts over water, make sure thats disabled as well 

23 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

with MSAA on 2x you will not reach 90, i'm sorry to say, sounds like you might also have the fulstrum culling "fix" installed with your artefacts over water, make sure thats disabled as well 

Yeah, I do realize that with MSAA enabled it's impossible, no questions here. But I tried it with MSAA off (and only enabled it to make sure artifacts I mentioned are gone). Regarding fulstrum culling "fix" - never heard about it and didn't install it (at least intentionally). Is it what this video describes? If yes, I don't even have autoexec.cfg under my Saved Games/Config folder.

Edited by lester

Yes, but it creates terrible artefacts like you describe... it’s not on by default, and at best is a work in progress feature.

• Thanks 1

I just wish I could justify to myself that spending £2,000 on a graphics card is a good idea 😪

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

2 hours ago, jib said:

I just wish I could justify to myself that spending £2,000 on a graphics card is a good idea 😪

offtopic:

Spoiler

I feel your pain 🙁 I was lucky to grab 3090 FE at the MSRP after I waited from October 2020 to February 2021 with otherwise ready new system (initially decided to wait for still yet to be released 3080ti), I think even 3080 is more expensive these days.

Edited by lester

5 hours ago, jib said:

I got mine ordered at launch so it was considerably cheaper, about 1600 but yes, it was an indulgence. But one I spent 18 months saving for... so...

on your hardware, tbh, I would be upgrading processor, motherboard and ram first.

Edited by speed-of-heat