My 3090 Settings for my G2 (2.7.11)

speed-of-heat

the effect is in the game now, you achieve the same outcome with in game settings  i did document it, but, its a pretty big page now; cockpit shadows set medium, and terrain shadows set to off,    you still need the kegetys shadow mod though 

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 minute ago, speed-of-heat said:

the effect is in the game now, you achieve the same outcome with in game settings  i did document it, but, its a pretty big page now; cockpit shadows set medium, and terrain shadows set to off,    you still need the kegetys shadow mod though 

Many thanks, understood 👍

• Thanks 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

OP Updated with Simplex Shaders 2.1 performance 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Hey Speed! Once again thanks for testing and posting all this. I'm trying to follow along and it's been about a month so just catching up on all the changes. After reading through the main post just now I wasn't sure if you were sticking with your Clear Water shaders or going to the Simplex 2.0. Also are you using Reshade or this new Open-VR FSR thing? EDIT* Scratch that last question... just read back a bit farther to see that you are not using Reshade. I have been using it lately with Steam SS down to around 50%. I'll give this new FSR thingy a go!

Thanks! 🙂

Daddio

Edited by daddio007

I will be sticking to clear water, it’s faster in game, the only advantage that simplex has is if you are using ic pass, and that’s marginal.

I do like the idea of not having to recompile the shaders in front of "new missions" ... i just dont like the idea of losing .0.6ms of frametime on my gpu...

Edited by speed-of-heat
addendum
  • Like 2

• speed-of-heat changed the title to My 3090 Settings for my G2 (2.7.5)

I bought my G2 last week (first VR experience) paired with I9 9900K @5ghz + RTX 3080TI + 32GB RAM + NVME, and I was very disappointed with the experience in DCS, bad graphics and FPS, your guide saved me. Thank you for your dedication! 

Shader MOD for VR, Universal VR shader, and FSR mod make DCS VR possible. I am very dissapointed with ED VR implementation, 2021 and we still need modders to do ED's job.

Edited by Calinho
  • Like 4

Just a quick question. Is it possible to run the G2 with clouds set to Ultra, or at least High? Maybe by dropping some other settings? I've been running the Rift S with clouds on Ultra with almost no problems, but then again I do have an 3090RTX. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I run the G2 with clouds on Ultra at present, but it requires the FSR mod IMO to counterbalance the performance offset 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

I run the G2 with clouds on Ultra at present, but it requires the FSR mod IMO to counterbalance the performance offset 

Thanks for the reply. I'm on the fence with switching to the G2, I can't go back to 2d with DCS, but the resolution limitations of the Rift S with regards to detail are annoying me enough that I will probably take the plunge sooner rather than later. 🙂

Spotting targets isn't really a huge problem once you know where they are, although the detail could be better, it's mostly not being able to read a lot of the cockpit gauges and screens without zooming in that's really getting to me. I do know that in the G2 the sweet spot is smaller than in the Rift S, but I can live with that as long as the sweet spot is clear enough to do that. 

P.S.

Does the FSR mod really work with DCS? I heard it's kind of hit and miss at best. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

It works for me , on my hardware and settings, i suspect the problem is that many people leave sharpening enabled in both it and reshade which will generate terrible shimmering...  i personally dont use reshade because of the shimmer. I run at the moment at 100% in SVR, and FSR 1.1 with a render scale of 0.8, and 2 x MSAA at with forced motion smoothing i very rarely see any issues.  Though i caveat that with i dont do much multiplayer.

Well I bit the bullet. Got the Headset. The clarity is great. But the stutters and the jitter....oh boy. Can someone enlighten me though with the setup? I'm following this guide and I can't get the screens Speed of Heat has, and as a result Im unsure what exactly needs to be running and how to set it up. (Outside of DCS World that is)

Either the guide needs an update, or I need my eyes checked.

So am I right in that I need to have installed in the following order. WMR > WMR for Steam > SteamVR > Add DCS.exe to Steam library and VR

How do I setup WMR for Steam? As soon as I run it it goes into some VR mode and for the life of me I can't get it to display and options screen. Likewise my Steam VR screen looks nothing like it does in this guide.

Im getting 33ms frametimes, in native G2 res which is frankly unplayable.

Edited by Lurker

Steam vr, hasn’t changed that much, go to your pc screen, steamvr is usually minimised on the task bar.

Bear in mind that the G2 defaults to 150% of an Already upscaled resolution so it’s going to hurt in dcs…

X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe

For the wmr for steamvr settings

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

Well I bit the bullet. Got the Headset. The clarity is great. But the stutters and the jitter....oh boy. Can someone enlighten me though with the setup? I'm following this guide and I can't get the screens Speed of Heat has, and as a result Im unsure what exactly needs to be running and how to set it up. (Outside of DCS World that is)

Either the guide needs an update, or I need my eyes checked.

So am I right in that I need to have installed in the following order. WMR > WMR for Steam > SteamVR > Add DCS.exe to Steam library and VR

How do I setup WMR for Steam? As soon as I run it it goes into some VR mode and for the life of me I can't get it to display and options screen. Likewise my Steam VR screen looks nothing like it does in this guide.

Im getting 33ms frametimes, in native G2 res which is frankly unplayable.

You won't be able to run your G2 at native res if you want a lower frametime. Start at 60%, and work your way up.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Not sure if this is a separate topic or worth a quick question here... I understand SteamSS's description as to why it nearly doubles the native res, to handle so called "barrel distortion" and what-not, but what I don't understand is:

a) I expect the extra SteamSS res above native to remove some aliasing and give it a bit of panache, but what I can't explain is, when setting SteamSS to match native, it really looks like hell. It's not a matter of panache, it feels like, without nearly doubling the native res, I can get no where near the quality expected of the HMD

b) which begs the question, with "native" WMR apps going straight through MWR Portal, where the native res isn't doubled (no SteamSS involved), things looks amazing clear and great, so, what am I missing?

One could argue my question is reversed, so basically: Why does SteamSS at native res IMHO look so poor compared to "native" (non steam) apps that do not double the res. I mean, even the MWR cliff house looks exceptionally good as well as the apps you can launch within it and it's not performing SteamSS 2x res magic to my knowledge.

TL/DR: I'd really like to understand why we need to double the res of an already exhausted system to achieve results that native seems to achieve without doubling. If DCS used OpenXR  do you think we would have to set PD to 2.0 to get same quality we get now in steam? I'm arguing we wouldn't I guess from what I've witnessed.

Edited by Vanguard

2 hours ago, GunSlingerAUS said:

You won't be able to run your G2 at native res if you want a lower frametime. Start at 60%, and work your way up.

Really? With an RTX3090 I should start at 60%?

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Really? With an RTX3090 I should start at 60%?

Maybe a little conservative, but you have to start somewhere. If you think it's too low you can use your mighty human intuition and intelligence to start at whatever you want. I have a 2070 and run SoH's settings @ 70% SteamSS with pretty good perf.

Ok this is getting weird now. I've tweaked some settings. And now everything in VR is out of focus or like Im a little bit crosseyed. It was perfect before. Oh man.....I have to say this is getting to me.....What the hell....

No 80% is fine. If you are using Clearwater or Kegetys shaders and you are using a 3090 

Edited by speed-of-heat

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Ok this is getting weird now. I've tweaked some settings. And now everything in VR is out of focus or like Im a little bit crosseyed. It was perfect before. Oh man.....I have to say this is getting to me.....What the hell....

It certain can be a frustrating ride. Have you tried this? Feels like whack-a-mole. Fix one problem, water starts spouting from a new hole 😅

Edit: It's important when debugging an issue to change one thing at a time. It takes time, but it saves a lot in the long run because you know exactly where things got better or worse.

Edited by Vanguard

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

It certain can be a frustrating ride. Have you tried this? Feels like whack-a-mole. Fix one problem, water starts spouting from a new hole 😅

Edit: It's important when debugging an issue to change one thing at a time. It takes time, but it saves a lot in the long run because you know exactly where things got better or worse.

No I havent tried this. Everything worked perfectly (well apart from the horrible frametimes) this morning I downloaded new Nvidia drivers, and just changed some settings in SteamVR. 

and now it feels like the focal point of the headset has changed. 

Would downloading a new driver from Nvidia cause the headset to change focus and go out of alignment like that????

One other thing, in WMR it works fine, however in WMR for Steam and in DCS World, Im getting this crosseyed\out-of-focus strange screen. 

The worst part of this all is now I'm at work, and all I can think about is how I'm gonna throw that damn headset into the trash as soon as I get home. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Only setting that come to mind which might affect that would be world scale or FoV settings in SteamVR. Change those by chance?

Hmmm, dropped FOV to 90% as suggested by the guide, and set World Scale to Off. 

*edit* 

The problem is that my SteamVR settings look completely different than they do in this guide 🙂 Is there a "reset all settings to default" in there somewhere so I can start fresh without reinstalling everything?

Edited by Lurker

I'm not 100% sure as I've never tested it but, the VR settings are stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.settings. I suspect you could just nuke that file and restart steam. Just make a backup 1st of course 😉 There's also a vrappconfig folder in there which stores the "per app" settings which you can try to nuke as well.

Edit:spelling

Edited by Vanguard
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Hmmm, dropped FOV to 90% as suggested by the guide, and set World Scale to Off. 

*edit* 

The problem is that my SteamVR settings look completely different than they do in this guide 🙂 Is there a "reset all settings to default" in there somewhere so I can start fresh without reinstalling everything?

Can you show me what you have it will be easier than playing whackamole in the dark