My 3090 Settings for my G2 (2.7.11)

speed-of-heat

Yeah, no its locked at 45 per every tool I have. And the frame times which are always under 11ms would indicate it should be pulling 90 without any smooting. 

The only thing I did, was pull the 2080ti, pop in the 3090, and update to the latest nvidia driver. IDK, I might try rolling it back, or reinstalling steamVR at this point, because even stupidly simple apps like the steamVR "Room" its locked at 45.

Perhaps irrelevant, but using the oculus tray tool and trying to set ASW to auto was causing issues for me. I know your not using OTT. However in the end the problem was that DCS was set to run with administrative privs and OTT was not. As such OTT wasn't "allowed" to interact with the DCS executable. Complete stab in tge dark but are you running DCS as admin?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

25 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Yeah, I just found it doing web searches haven't touched it.

Every GUI option I have set disables motion smoothing. I mean, the DCS menu screen is locked at 45FPS, Its always been 90 for the last X years I've used VR regardless of motion smoothing on or off. The frame times suggest I should be pulling 90, yet every tool, DCS, FPSVR other in game tools in other games are saying its locked at 45.

Yeah, no its locked at 45 per every tool I have. And the frame times which are always under 11ms would indicate it should be pulling 90 without any smooting. 

The only thing I did, was pull the 2080ti, pop in the 3090, and update to the latest nvidia driver. IDK, I might try rolling it back, or reinstalling steamVR at this point, because even stupidly simple apps like the steamVR "Room" its locked at 45.

I notice you use a warthog, do you use a script?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

On 1/4/2021 at 2:21 PM, speed-of-heat said:

These are my settings, and they are what work for me.

What kind of sorcery is this? I don't have VR or RTX series card, but I followed your guide to some extent and results are amazing!! Thank you, I owe you a beer!

Spoiler

DCS_2021_01_28_20_37_26_947.jpg

DCS_2021_01_28_20_39_46_058.jpg

• Like 1

Do you have max FPS set at 45 in Nvidia settings by accident? 

I9-9900KS OC 5.2, Asus Maximus XI Hero, MSI RTX 4090 , EVGA 1200W P2 power supply, 2TB M.2 SSD, 64GB ram@3200mhz, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, Samsung Odyssey+, Reverb G2, Quest 3(new)

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

I notice you use a warthog, do you use a script?

No, no scripts, I also have like 5 other sticks, again no scripts. And winwing isn't stealing frames either. It just looks like for some reason smoothing is being forced on somewhere.

26 minutes ago, timcat said:

Do you have max FPS set at 45 in Nvidia settings by accident? 

I don't even see an option for this setting in the NVIDA driver settings? Is that what you are talking about? IIRC there was some setting for flat screens to limit this but it doesn't apply in VR AFAIK. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

OK lets start with the basics; can you copy and paste your Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\steamvr.settings file into thread...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

13 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

I don't even see an option for this setting in the NVIDA driver settings? Is that what you are talking about? IIRC there was some setting for flat screens to limit this but it doesn't apply in VR AFAIK. 

Unless they recently removed it.

ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 28 14.48.jpg

I9-9900KS OC 5.2, Asus Maximus XI Hero, MSI RTX 4090 , EVGA 1200W P2 power supply, 2TB M.2 SSD, 64GB ram@3200mhz, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, Samsung Odyssey+, Reverb G2, Quest 3(new)

So there is no steamVR.settings just the default.vrsettings file I tried to uninstall steamvr and steamvr wmr but It looks like it picked up some old settings somewhere but that file is now gone. 

{
    // Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR
    // Version #.#.#
    // Please refrain from editing this file, as it is replaced with every update to the driver. 
    // Instead, modify settings through the UX available as an overlay on the SteamVR dashboard.

"driver_Holographic": {
    // Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation 
    //     motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
    //     auto         = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate
    //     none         = turn off motion reprojection
    //
    // Comment out or remove this line to use the SteamVR settings for controlling motion reprojection
    "motionReprojectionMode": "none",

// Motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
    //     green = off because application can render at full framerate
    //     cyan  = on because application is cpu bound
    //     blue  = on because application is gpu bound
    //     red   = off because application running at less than half framerate or motion reprojection disabled
    //
    //     green + cyan + blue = motion reprojection half-framerate mode or application requested motion reprojection
    "motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled": false,

// Show application current render resolation versus maximum application resolution
    //     light gray  = current frame resolution
    //     dark gray   = maximum rendered resolution
    // 
    // If only a light gray box is visible, the application is rendering at its maximum resolution
    "dynamicResolutionIndicatorEnabled": false,

// Indicator area size and position in 0-1 space
    "indicatorAreaSize": 0.02,
    "indicatorAreaXPosition": 0.3,
    "indicatorAreaYPosition": 0.3,

// Dynamic resolution size as a percentage of total indicator size
    "dynamicResolutionIndicatorSize": 0.7,

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,
    // disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.
    //
    // Setting thumbstickControlsMoveEnabled to true may cause application compatibility issues
    "thumbstickControlsTurnEnabled": false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn, false = default application thumbstick behavior
    "thumbstickControlsMoveEnabled": false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial move, false = default application thumbstick behavior
    "thumbstickControlsReversed": false,
    "thumbstickTurnSmooth": false,
    "thumbstickDeadzone": 0.25,
    "thumbstickUseForSystemMenu": true,

// During some transitions (typically entering Home), controller events start accumulate and the system has difficulties to catch up
    // Settings a mximum age for a contoller input allows ensuring that the events queue does not grow indefinitely
    "obsoleteStateMaxTimeInSeconds": 1.0,

// Disable DX12 support
    "forceDisableDX12": false,

// Feature still in development
    "enableSkeletalInput": true,

// Emulate a Press on Trackpad in 0,0 when pressing A or X
    "emulatedTrackpadFixedOnA": true,

// Emulate trackpad with position based on controller pointing direction when pressing B or Y
    "emulatedTrackpadWristOnB": true,

// Emulate trackpad with position using Thumbstick Press / Move / Release gesture
    // When enabled, superceedes Trackpad on A / B
    //     - A / X do not send trackpad info anymore
    //     - B / Y send trackpad pressed in 0,0
    "emulatedTrackpadOnThumbstick": false,

// Emulation mode for compatibility with older games
    // Values: None, HpMotionController, Holographic
    "controllerEmulationMode": "None"
  },
    // If motionReprojectionMode is disabled, these applications will still respect SteamVR settings
    "MotionReprojectionDisabledExceptions" : {
        "hlvr.exe" : true
    },
    "NoInterEyeRotation" : {
        "battlezone_dx11.exe" : true,
        "battlezone_dx12.exe" : true,
        "DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true,
        "Fallout4VR.exe" : true
    }
}

This setting is set to OFF, so I assume full speed ahead. 

4 hours ago, timcat said:

Unless they recently removed it.

ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 28 14.48.jpg

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

well todays beta update; Steam VR, I'm DCS crashing every time I start now.

Steam VR and or WMR.

either one causes a crash.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

6 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

So there is no steamVR.settings just the default.vrsettings file I tried to uninstall steamvr and steamvr wmr but It looks like it picked up some old settings somewhere but that file is now gone. 

{
    // Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR
    // Version #.#.#
    // Please refrain from editing this file, as it is replaced with every update to the driver. 
    // Instead, modify settings through the UX available as an overlay on the SteamVR dashboard.

"driver_Holographic": {
    // Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation 
    //     motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
    //     auto         = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate
    //     none         = turn off motion reprojection
    //
    // Comment out or remove this line to use the SteamVR settings for controlling motion reprojection
    "motionReprojectionMode": "none",

// Motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
    //     green = off because application can render at full framerate
    //     cyan  = on because application is cpu bound
    //     blue  = on because application is gpu bound
    //     red   = off because application running at less than half framerate or motion reprojection disabled
    //
    //     green + cyan + blue = motion reprojection half-framerate mode or application requested motion reprojection
    "motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled": false,

// Show application current render resolation versus maximum application resolution
    //     light gray  = current frame resolution
    //     dark gray   = maximum rendered resolution
    // 
    // If only a light gray box is visible, the application is rendering at its maximum resolution
    "dynamicResolutionIndicatorEnabled": false,

// Indicator area size and position in 0-1 space
    "indicatorAreaSize": 0.02,
    "indicatorAreaXPosition": 0.3,
    "indicatorAreaYPosition": 0.3,

// Dynamic resolution size as a percentage of total indicator size
    "dynamicResolutionIndicatorSize": 0.7,

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,
    // disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.
    //
    // Setting thumbstickControlsMoveEnabled to true may cause application compatibility issues
    "thumbstickControlsTurnEnabled": false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn, false = default application thumbstick behavior
    "thumbstickControlsMoveEnabled": false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial move, false = default application thumbstick behavior
    "thumbstickControlsReversed": false,
    "thumbstickTurnSmooth": false,
    "thumbstickDeadzone": 0.25,
    "thumbstickUseForSystemMenu": true,

// During some transitions (typically entering Home), controller events start accumulate and the system has difficulties to catch up
    // Settings a mximum age for a contoller input allows ensuring that the events queue does not grow indefinitely
    "obsoleteStateMaxTimeInSeconds": 1.0,

// Disable DX12 support
    "forceDisableDX12": false,

// Feature still in development
    "enableSkeletalInput": true,

// Emulate a Press on Trackpad in 0,0 when pressing A or X
    "emulatedTrackpadFixedOnA": true,

// Emulate trackpad with position based on controller pointing direction when pressing B or Y
    "emulatedTrackpadWristOnB": true,

// Emulate trackpad with position using Thumbstick Press / Move / Release gesture
    // When enabled, superceedes Trackpad on A / B
    //     - A / X do not send trackpad info anymore
    //     - B / Y send trackpad pressed in 0,0
    "emulatedTrackpadOnThumbstick": false,

// Emulation mode for compatibility with older games
    // Values: None, HpMotionController, Holographic
    "controllerEmulationMode": "None"
  },
    // If motionReprojectionMode is disabled, these applications will still respect SteamVR settings
    "MotionReprojectionDisabledExceptions" : {
        "hlvr.exe" : true
    },
    "NoInterEyeRotation" : {
        "battlezone_dx11.exe" : true,
        "battlezone_dx12.exe" : true,
        "DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true,
        "Fallout4VR.exe" : true
    }
}

This setting is set to OFF, so I assume full speed ahead. 

that looks good, what about the settings in steamvr dashboard for  wmr next.

WMR4SVR Settings.png

Edited by speed-of-heat

23 hours ago, imacken said:

Sorry to tell you, but your calcs are wrong, and that is why you are seeing an improvement.  SteamVR SS factor is on total pixels, whereas DCS PD is on pixel density per axis.

So, 0.7 PD is actually equivalent to SteamVR SS of 0.7*0.7, i.e. 0.49.  Then, if you apply this to your 1.5 (150%), then your oveall figure is 0.735, not 1.05.

An example. Say you had 1000x1000 native, that would be 700x700 with a PD of 0.7 applied, i.e. 490,000 compared to your original 1,000,000. Then apply your SteamVR factor of 150% (1.5), then you have 490,000*1.5, i.e. 735,000, compared to your native 1,000,000. Not 1.5*0.7, which is where you are getting your 1.05 from.

Ah, this explains that.

I was so proud of my smart tip 😉

Thanks for the heads-up, friend.

Edited by davidp57

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

1 minute ago, davidp57 said:

Ah, this explains that.

I was so proud of my smart tip 😉

Thanks for the heads-up, friend.

and you have something else to add ?

1 minute ago, speed-of-heat said:

and you have something else to add ?

No, what should I have to add ?

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

1 minute ago, speed-of-heat said:

"hanger vs a hangar😉"

That one was correct, wasn't it ? 😉

yes the sarcasm was unwarranted, unhelpful , and inaccurate... manners make man , last chance

Edited by speed-of-heat

Well, let's not pollute this thread with that kind of petty discourse.

I take this last chance you generously give me as an occasion to explain myself, then I'll properly shut up and never talk about it again.

In my original reply, I said two different things :

1. a smart tip about using PD and SS to achieve the same result with better performance
  2. a language lesson about writing words the way one hears them instead of the way they're written by Merriam Webster

I was proven wrong for the first part ; thanks to @imackenfor that, I stand corrected, and it'll help me get better perfs on my DCS VR (which is, incidently, the goal of this thread, if I'm not mistaken).

And unless you prove it to me, I was not wrong by saying that it's difficult to use a hanger to store a plane.

So, I don't know what you want from me, and where you see sarcasm. Any way, if by "manners make man" you mean that I should apologize to you, you could not be more wrong...

Any way, peace, love, and fox 3 😉

Zip out.

nope;  i wont normalise poor behaviour on the internet anymore than i would in person.  

17 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

that looks good, what about the settings in steamvr dashboard for  wmr next.

WMR4SVR Settings.png

So... When I go to wmr for steamVR in steam this is what I get. I'm not sure its the same thing you posted, how do I get to what you posted?

The other interesting discovery I've made is that I cannot roll back the the 3090 driver, (greyed out option in the device manager) not sure if thats normal, or some special NVIDA BS.

wmr steamvr.PNG

Edited by Harlikwin

it can still be overridden in WMR's Steam Settings, by setting it to Motion Vector

you get there by running:

x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe

you can also get it from the steam menu in VR 

re the roll back, if you have a 3090, there is a minimum driver version you can use (I cant remember which version) before which the 3090 wasn't supported ... i'm currently on the latest version

Just noticed it’s the steam version, have you  using the regular version?  Also for thoroughness try this as an experiment, rename your saved games Directory for dcs, adds will create a new one... see if that does anything (you will need to re apply settings in dcs) see if that makes a difference (you can rename it back later).

BTW... you should set your 'custom resolution multiplier' in steamVR at 100% (u r at 63%).  Then use a <1 PD in the DCS VR menu. Even though with a 3090 u should still be fine with PD left at 1 and 100%.

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals