My 3090 Settings for my G2 (2.7.11)

speed-of-heat

Not sure why you say this so often. There is no logic to reducing PD and increasing SS. Keep your rendering to one process. It is generally felt that SteamVR does a better job than PD. So, vary it to suit. 

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Not sure why you say this so often. There is no logic to reducing PD and increasing SS. Keep your rendering to one process. It is generally felt that SteamVR does a better job than PD. So, vary it to suit. 

Steam SS eats less FPS than DCS PD.  Massively discussed in the forum. hence better 100% and PD<1 than 70% and PD at 1

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

1 minute ago, Brainfreeze said:

Steam SS eats less FPS than DCS PD.  Massively discussed in the forum. hence better 100% and PD<1 than 70% and PD at 1

The first part is correct, and that's why not to use it at all.  The 3rd part is not correct. PD of 1.0 does nothing, setting it at anything else kicks in the process whether it less or more than 1.0.  Leave PD at 1.0 and concentrate on SteamVR SS rate.  

• Thanks 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2 minutes ago, imacken said:

The first part is correct, and that's why not to use it at all.  The 3rd part is not correct. PD of 1.0 does nothing, setting it at anything else kicks in the process whether it less or more than 1.0.  Leave PD at 1.0 and concentrate on SteamVR SS rate.  

Ha...does make sense! Haven't tried but will trust you on this. Will revert to PD=1 🙂  

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

22 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

you get there by running:

x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe

you can also get it from the steam menu in VR 

re the roll back, if you have a 3090, there is a minimum driver version you can use (I cant remember which version) before which the 3090 wasn't supported ... i'm currently on the latest version

Aha! That was it motion vector was enabled there. Super weird that swapping out a GFX card would cause it to be enabled though.

I'm cruising up at 90fps on the dcs loading screen. Now to optimize!

Thanks!

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

You are very welcome, glad it’s now working for you!

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• speed-of-heat ×

Big thank you for taking the time to post this thread mate! I've just finished setting up my new rig (based on a 5900X paired with an ASUS Strix 3090) and I've initially used your settings and optimisations almost to the letter. You've saved me a lot of time and the result is just awesome (particularly as my old rig is a 7 year old 6700K and 2080).

I initially tried your 80% resolution with app specific motion smoothing enabled, and although I was getting 90 FPS at altitude, it was dropping to 45 fairly regularly and to be honest, I couldn't notice any difference between 90 and 45 anyway. I could however, notice a difference in visual quality between 80 and 100% reesolution so I've opted for 100% with motion smoothing forced on and I'm getting rock solid 45 FPS everywhere (even at 20 feet barreling down Las Vegas Strip!) . I haven't installed your Kegetys variation yet but will give it a go at some point as it definately made a big difference in my old rig. Also haven't bothered downloading Ryzen Master yet as the CPU hasn't been out of the green on FpsVR once.

The only optimision I've applied that you heven't listed is :

Create Registry entry "PreallocateVirtualMonitors" DWORD (32-bit) value in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic" and set it to 0
        This prevents Windows from creating up to 3 virtual monitors when you connect your headset, which has been reported to improve FPS.

Did hit a couple of snags:

WMR wouldn't connect to the G2 using any of the X570 motherboard USB 3 ports (documented issue that AMD and HP are reportedly working on). However, worked perfectly when I plugged an unpowered USB 3 hub into one of those ports, and the G2 into that. Go figure.

This afternoon I started getting tracking issues. First I lost the lateral DOF, then random tracking stutters happening more and more. Restarted DCS and then SteamVR and DCS. Didn't help. I eventually took off the headset to find it was 17:30 and I was sitting in total darkness !! Eeeeediot ! 😉

Thanks again mate.

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

glad it works for you, and that you took it with the intent i had, as a starting point. 

For me i tend to notice the difference in the pattern for the carrier just as i'm coming into the wires ... the issue is not so much that it drops to 45, rather to stays at frame time require to maintain 45, similar NOE, i will occasionally get something that pulls me down if i am at 100... and of course in the channel 🙂

but whatever glad it helped you !

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

These settings work for me as well, and has helped me greatly tuning my system. Thanks for posting them. I do also opt for the resolution vs the highest frame rate. I find as long as it stays above 45fps I can tolerate it.

Being able to detect features like the surface of the carrier when attempting to land helps me a lot, especially when you get to see the carrier as close as I do, the additional detail is appreciated.

IMG_2739.jpg

[Maximus XIII Hero] [i9-11900K (5.5Ghz)] [RTX3090] [128GB G.Skill @3800Mhz] [Samsung 980Pro] [Index/G2/8K+/8KX/VP2]

2 hours ago, shaun57 said:

Create Registry entry "PreallocateVirtualMonitors" DWORD (32-bit) value in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic" and set it to 0
        This prevents Windows from creating up to 3 virtual monitors when you connect your headset, which has been reported to improve FPS.

Thought I had that one! Obviously not, thanks, for reminding me!

On 1/31/2021 at 3:11 PM, Brainfreeze said:

@Harlikwin... glad you figured out what was affecting your settings but, now that you have 90fps, is it better?

So... I used speed of heats settings for the most part (higher than what I was using for the 2080ti). And mostly I'm getting decent enough performance still in the 60-70fps ballpark online. Its almost always CPU limited online though. I don't really fly offline much but I'd expect somewhat better performance there.

But I did go up like 1-2 settings levels in DCS plus I'm running higher overall res in steam. So, is it worth it, IDK, it wasn't terrible with the 2080ti, its a bit better with the 3090. I think the real issues are CPU related. I'm hoping the 11th gen intel stuff with a 20-30% IPC boost along with a few hundred megahertz OC will help, but really ED just needs to a better job at code optimization/Vulkan.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:14 AM, shaun57 said:
  • speed-of-heat ×

Yeah, I always forget that people run into this. If you use point control if you have multiple monitors like this up, it totally jacks up point control so I always check it or its really obvious to me if its on since the mouse cursors zoom acrosss the screen at 2-3x the rate they should. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hi Speed-of-heat

thanks you for sharing your experience and tweaks. I'm a french simmer and got my G2 a couple of days ago. I was expecting a "Waouh" effect right  out of the box on my high end rig (I9 9900K 32Gb RAM / RTX3090). So far I was simming in VR with Reverb G1 and was actually enjoying a lot the smoothness with all sliders maxed out and MSAA 4, Steam VR SS  at 140%. Ghosting at very low altitude / high speed on F18 was barely noticeable when overflying the battlefield with numerous explosions smoke. Like many simmers, I was teased by the G2 ipd manual adjustment device and the promise of an unprecedented clarity, brightness. 

Eventually it's a tremendous disappointment as with no tweaking, right out of the box, unsustainable ghosting is spoiling my visual experience. Yes I can't deny a better clarity, an eye candy colorful image but at the expense of a smaller sweetspot and a laggy ghosting side effect when looking around with the same DCS / Steam VR setting as for the G1. 

I was thinking that the hardware design technology was pretty similar between the two generations. Infact I have to lower my settings and/or Steam VR SS at the point the compromise is not visually acceptable.

So I gonna give a try to your recommendations. Hopefully it’s gonna help to convince me not to roll back to G1.

Greetings

S-O-H, wondered if I could ask you to confirm something for me ?

As mentioned above, with my new rig and your settings I'm getting rock solid 45 FPS with motion smoothing forced on. One place however, where I'm being dragged down, is on the supercarrier deck in the hornet specifically in the "Mission Qualification - Supercarrier Cold Start" mission. I'm dragged down to high 30's low 40's and it's showing CPU dancing in the red on FPSVR with plenty of overhead still on the GPU. Not a complaint as with 100% SS it doesn't detract from the visuals at all and it's gone as soon as I take off. Interestingly it doesn't happen at all if I start on the catapult in "Mission Qualification - Supercarrier Launch" which looks otherwise identical in terms of AI activity.

Just wondering if you're seeing the same with your i7-9700K. Might give me an indication of whether I should look into overclocking the 5900X a tad.

Thanks

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

You're not alone. The Supercarrier is that way for everyone.  Been discussed a zilion times here, but hopefully, ED will address it at some point in the future.

yep as Iain said its that way for everyone , turning off shadows significantly improves it as does turning off AA;  but its one of the reasons i run at 80% so i dont drop below 45 on approach to the carrier ...

Thanks guys, I'll stick with stock settings on the 5900X for now then.

Have to say, the VR experience with the G2 on this rig is just awesome. Really can't imagine flying 2D for any reason other than perhaps ocasional module learning. I've actually only just installed the Hornet and Supercarrier in this free to play period (ED know what they're doing offering regular free to play periods as I no doubt will be parting with more spondulics in a couple of days!). Haven't tried a carrier landing yet..mostly because crashing in VR scares the bejesus out of me!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question speed about your DCS settings. What’s the reason you have full screen enabled in your DCS options. I just watched an older YouTube video about doing the ALT+ENTER thing where it disables full screen mode and gives higher FPS. I tried it on 2D and it sure did up my frame rates. I have always had mine checked. Will this help FPS in VR/G2? I’m alittle confused now after watching that video now. Your thoughts please.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I use full screen to avoid mouse issues, you will also note that I have disabled the full screen optimisations point 5) on my list which cause the perf dip.

• Thanks 1

Gotcha , thanks for the reply. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

OP updated, default.vrsettings, has an unhelpful initial configuration 

best topic on G2 and 3090  😉

• Thanks 1

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

G2/3090 here.

Having read consistent good reports, I just tried the PD at 0.5 /SS 250% (for G2) just to see what all the fuss was about. I'm seeing some very positive gains on my system with MSAAx2

Shadows low. 

Give it a try, it's a five minute test. 

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.