Approach to land question

blokovchan

Hi guys. I'm wondering why according to manuls and Chuck's guide approach has to be started with wing sweep 68°.

2nd question: why speed break has to be on from breaking turn.

Landing is possible with 15 AoA units, without above conditions completed...
Well I'm still strugling to land this beast properly - just bought module a week ago... 😄

Edited by blokovchan
typo error

• blokovchan changed the title to Approach to land question

You fly overhead at 350 KIAS minimum. You want to slow down as you turn downwind. Hence the need for the speedbrakes and the wings swept back until 300KIAS. With the wings swept back, you get more induced drag. That is, x amount of AoA increase will cause a higher amount of drag increase if the wings are swept back. And drag is what you need.

Of course you can slow down without these, but it will require more room and time, none of which are available at wartime.

On final you want the speedbrakes and dlc out so that you achieve the 15 units of AoA at higher throttle settings, where the throttle is more responsive.

I hope this answered your question.

• Like 1

Doesn’t the brake out also create better throttle position for wave off/bolster because the engines are spooled up more? I thought I read that somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

There is another factor - on the B in particular; the idle thrust of the GE F110s is very high and if coming in too high or too fast, a power down correction might resort the pilot having to go to idle power if the deviation is large enough. That can be risky - if you over-correct (stay idle too long) you have the spool up time of the motors to account for and it maybe a few seconds before the power-up begins to bite and where you were too high too fast, you suddenly find yourself too low and/or too slow. Close in that could be fatal,

By having the airbrake out it means your throttle down changes have more effect, more quickly and you are therefore less likely find yourself in the above predicament.

Meg Ryan? Nah man, it’s the admiral’s daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

If you follow the guide, I use 'bomb mode' and then speed brakes, then when you go back to 'auto' then the trim works itself out.  This instead of having to trim out a huge down angle from putting in the flaps, slats, gear, and brake on their own.

1. Overhead break: Bomb Mode & Speed Brake

2. Downwind: 250KT gear down, 225KT flaps, then wing sweep to AUTO.

On 1/4/2021 at 11:05 PM, LASooner said:

I like mine quite a bit. If you're only using it for the Tomcat. You might find it limiting to use with the F-16, F-18 or any other jet that makes use of a large array of buttons. Being able to use the base with Thrustmaster sticks is a bonus.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Trol said:

If you follow the guide, I use 'bomb mode' and then speed brakes, then when you go back to 'auto' then the trim works itself out.  This instead of having to trim out a huge down angle from putting in the flaps, slats, gear, and brake on their own.

1. Overhead break: Bomb Mode & Speed Brake

2. Downwind: 250KT gear down, 225KT flaps, then wing sweep to AUTO.

Which guide is that? That's actually contrary to the Chuck's and also F-14 NATOPS. Using Bomb mode because of a failure to trim properly isn't a good habit to get into either. The OP should get used to trimming. 

On 1/4/2021 at 11:47 AM, blokovchan said:

Hi guys. I'm wondering why according to manuls and Chuck's guide approach has to be started with wing sweep 68°.

2nd question: why speed break has to be on from breaking turn.

Landing is possible with 15 AoA units, without above conditions completed...
Well I'm still strugling to land this beast properly - just bought module a week ago... 😄

It takes time my friend. And I've had the Tomcat since day 1. Just work on basic flight and feel her out. get used to it. Do not dogfight, don't carrier land until you try it ashore and feel confident in pattern work. Yank her around and find out when she likes to holler and scream.

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

I'll add that there's another good reason to keep the speedbrake out - it's faster to retract it than to throttle up the engines. It gets you going more quickly, plus you get the benefit of faster throttle response. Most fighters benefit from extending the boards on final, I do it on every plane unless the procedure explicitly says not to.

Also, trim, trim, trim. It makes a world of difference. The only plane in DCS that can get away with not making extensive use of trim is the F-16. Once you get comfortable with trimming, flying in general gets a lot easier.