Sudden 100% GPU usage ramp up

Vitralette

On 1/5/2021 at 1:45 PM, Hawkeye_UK said:

When your game grinds to a halt have you tired lifting the visor and just open task manager, anything to make DCS not the active window?  Once you put the headset on again does this solve your issues.  It works for me now 80% to 90% of the time.

My System:

i7-4790K@4.4Ghz
32GB Ram

Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3080 @ Stock

Samsung Odyssey+ before, now HP Reverb G2

My system runs DCS quite well, I have around 1000h on DCS right now and as I was useing the Odyssey+ everything run "perfect".

Since I swapped now to the G2 (which blow my mind away btw, I love it. Only downside is the LCD instead of the AMOLED) I have massive stutter problems after I change the module.

I start on a map with one module, I can fly for hours, everything fine with a mix between 30fps-45fps cap. I change the module and I get struck down to 12fps. Even in the main menu.

This never happend before, only since I'm useing the G2. No problem ever with the Odyssey+. Can't understand that.

Going back to the main menu did not help. Shutdown DCS did not help. Shutdown Steam VR does help.

Then I tried many things together with my buddy and we found out what you are describing.

Take the headset off - hit Alt+Tab to change the activ window to something else (Steam fullscreen, e.g.) - hit Alt-Tab again - put on the headset and everything runs smooth again.

I was scared that I was the only one haunted by that problem, so I'm quite glad that there are more (who also found the same solution).

So are there any more info or fixes available regarding that problem?

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Since I have the G2 I have had a similar behavior, although the GPU is not really at 100% ...

My equipment is composed of a Ryzen 3700X, RTX 2080 and 32 GB to 3600MHz.

What happens to me is that after making a flight in which the team has gone well, to return to enter and repeat the mission is that where before he had about 14-15 ms of GPU frametime now suddenly has risen to 19-20 and is unplayable ... As I am still trying to find the optimal point of resolution, settings and fluidity I am practically continuous testing things and with the fpsVR open. There you can see that the use of the GPU in the second flight has shot up a lot, even if it does not reach 97-99% is higher than the previous flight: 75-80%.

I don't use them with a beast resolution either, because if not, it's not going to be fluid enough for me: Now it´s 45% (2188 × 2140) and 0.9 PD in DCS?!

It happens to me with idenpendence that I fly the Hornet or the TOMCAT and it has happened to me in the Caucasus and in the Gulf that are those that I have tried up to date...

Now I have also observed that when I jump from the cabin to the supercarrier (F9) this unpleasant effect occurs, the fps that were in 45 are reduced almost by half. If I return to the cabin the effect is maintained. It does not happen always but in most of the times that I do this change of view. With the F10 it doesn't happen to me and everything continues smooth, even better because the clouds disappear?

If I change the supercarrier for the Stennis, it doesn't reproduce, or at least I haven't got it yet.

This has never happened to me before with the Rift S...never!
Before with the RIFT S I had the PD in DCS at 1.0 and in the OTT at 1.2. And the option in quality ocular (resolution per eye of 1648 × 1776 pixels). I think that now in the G2 at 2188 × 2140, it means less stress, right?

What do you think it could be due to? The GPU has a fan profile that does not let it go up from 60-61º as shown by the fpsVR.

The use of VRAM marks 7.8 GB of the 8 available in the RTX2080. In the MSI the use per application remains around 5 GB.

You're sorry for my English, I used an online translator.

Greetings!

Edited by CaptYosi73

• 4 weeks later...

This continues to be a problem for VR users - i do wish ED would take this one seriously and start looking into what's locking out the game and eating memory suddenly.  Clearly its something code related the fact it suddenly bottoms out and that jumping in and out of the game can clear it more times than not.

I also have experienced the same issue on the Quest 2 now, that is in addition to the Rift S and Reverb G2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Same problem here. It seems I'm collecting every stupid DCS bug these days. After the "crash on second mission load bug" (which I can avoid by cleaning fxo folder every day)  and crash of steam VR while DCS continues (which I can avoid turning HAGS off) I get my daily "GPU nailed to 20fps 95% usage even after leaving flight and exit to menu"  (which can be alt-tabed away, I made a keybind on my button box).

My 2080ti VRAM is around 10.5 of 11 when the neverending stutter begins.

So many DCS bugs nowadays and really no solution in sight?

Edited by Foxmike
dictionary

I got a solution for my rig. As suggested in some other threads I changed my Windows10 controlled pagefile to a fixed size of  32 GB, as my RAM is 32 GB, too.  Of course I will still get some stutter when taxiing near Supercarrier Island or switching to LSO view,  but the fps will get back to normal level within two seconds and don't get pinned to 20 until I alt tab out for at least 10 seconds. I tested it 3 times now with a full Supercarrier deck and my stutter problem seems to be gone. 

OK I've tracked this problem down I think. I tested various scenarios at differing settings on my Quest 2 and DCS. I'm running 32GB of RAM and a 8GB 3070. It basically boils down to DCS going over the amount of VRAM available in the system. 

Settings started as follows:

Textures Med, Terrain text, low, shadows med, cockpit displays 512, clouds low, view distance med, terrain shadows flat and the rest was off or low, render res in quest to 1.1x. 

The first scenario was Blue Flag on Persian Gulf, started at Bandar Abbas, fly to Havadarya in a Huey. When I spawn in the VRAM was teetering on 8GB and as soon as I took off and did a zoom it went over to about 8.5GB on the shared GPU memory and the quest 2 started glitching and the GPU usage shot to 100% for a minute or two then it recovered. However, that still left that translucent white box in the lower 25% of the view which happens on link but not on Airlink.

I reduced my rendering resolution to 1.0x from 1.1x and redid the test. Flew from Hava to Abbas no issues. Exited. Turned textures to high, MSAA to 2x. Redid test, once spawned into Huey immediately had the 100% GPU and the thrashing (went to 8.6GB odd). Exited. reduced render res to 0.9x, redid the test, worked OK for a few minutes then the thrashing started again and each time the GPU memory went over 8GB the 100% spike happened, before and after the 100% spike GPU was at 42% usage stable with the last settings.

I lowered my render res again, now at 3700x1900 res odd, BF worked fine. Exited, logged into Rotorheads, everything seemed fine, started up the ka50 and took off and about 2 minutes later the thrashing happened again, and again almost 9GB of shared video memory used.

I think the 100% GPU usage is some kind of buffer flushing operation that shifts things around between ram and vram because there's too much stuff in the VRAM.  

I think ED really needs to have a good look at the things that uses so much GPU memory, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect an 8GB card to have more than enough vram at pretty low graphical settings, at a resolution that barely rivals a 4k monitor. There's some indications of easy (as in, could be done in a week or two) fixes that could be made to art assets, see here: 

Edited by lemoen
  • Like 1

After some more testing I found out that when using Airlink, DCS still goes over my allotted VRAM, but the 100% GPU usage and subsequent glitching does not happen in the same scenarios as before, even with higher graphical settings that will use more VRAM. So I suggest for those on Quest 2 with this problem to test Airlink.

So it looks like Airlink just uses less resources than default Link settings, but this same thing happens on Airlink too. I had to set everything to low, disable MSAA and reduce the render res to 0.9x to get Blue Flag PG to stay inside my 8GB VRAM. My GPU was running at 40% usage at this point, there is clearly a large divide between the amount of rendering that needs to be done and the amount of memory it uses while doing so.

ED please please please look at this excessive VRAM usage.

I think DCS is something that wants to gooble up large amounts of VRAM ... I've seen 23GB of VRAM allocated on my system ... mostly though in the high teens. 

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

5 minutes ago, C3PO said:

I think DCS is something that wants to gooble up large amounts of VRAM ... I've seen 23GB of VRAM allocated on my system ... mostly though in the high teens. 

Yep which is why I have a 3090 card.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Using up more than 8GB of VRAM at low settings is clearly unwanted behaviour. Maybe the video manager isn't aggressive enough in cleaning out unused stuff, or maybe the art assets have components in them that has too high a resolution, we can only guess but we really should plead with ED to look at this and improve it, because along with that will come increased performance for everybody, even people with 24GB cards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump. Issue still persists.

This Issue is still the reason why do not spend any additonal money on the product.

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

ASUS GeForce RTX3070 Dual | 1980MHz | 8GB GDDR6  

G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200-CL16 | 32GB   

Oculus Quest 2

F/A-18C Hornet | UH-1H Huey

On 1/9/2021 at 11:38 AM, Vitralette said:

Visible Range - Distance at which buildings (not aircarfts or ground targets) are rendered, also the distance at which the terrain is getting rendered based on your terrain texture setting.

Wait, is that true? This setting does not affect the distance at wich i can visually detect aircrafts in the sky and i have it set to high for no reason all the time? Give me a brake, i guess i need a glass of scotch right now...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

23 minutes ago, VpR81 said:

Wait, is that true? This setting does not affect the distance at wich i can visually detect aircrafts in the sky and i have it set to high for no reason all the time? Give me a brake, i guess i need a glass of scotch right now...

It is definitely not true that visibility range makes no difference and is a waste of resources.  It most assuredly does make a difference in what you see in your HMD.  I also have to say that I have experimented with all of the settings to get the best performance and visual quality possible with my system, and visibility range makes a big difference in the quality of the experience while, at the same time, having very little impact on performance.  I have mine set as high as it goes.  I tried setting it to its lowest setting, and found that it didn't yield a significant performance increase, but I found that I couldn't stand seeing aircraft sitting on the ground at Nellis suddenly materializing well-within normal visual range.  No need to turn it to the lowest setting, so I went with the highest.

Another thing I don't agree with in the list that you quoted is MSAA.  MSAA makes a very noticeable difference in visual quality.  It does have a pretty significant impact on performance though.  I have my MSAA set to 4X, which gives me the experience that I want, but I had to turn a few other things down that, for me, don't have much an impact on what I'm looking for quality-wise.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Well, i realy didn't experiment with the setting for visible range. I always thought that this affects spotting enemy aircrafts in dogfights/WVR so i just put visible range, and a few other options, from medium (resp. low) to high after installing my new gfx card early this year. I only checked for performance differences and performance was even better compared to the old settings/gfx card, so i didn't bother anymore. 

18 minutes ago, eaglecash867 said:

Another thing I don't agree with in the list that you quoted is MSAA.  MSAA makes a very noticeable difference in visual quality.  It does have a pretty significant impact on performance though.  I have my MSAA set to 4X, which gives me the experience that I want, but I had to turn a few other things down that, for me, don't have much an impact on what I'm looking for quality-wise.

This is my experience too. I have it set to 2x as 4x has too much of a fps hit for me. But with MSAA set to off it's unplayable for me quality wise.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
Am 12.8.2021 um 21:30 schrieb eaglecash867:

It is definitely not true that visibility range makes no difference and is a waste of resources.  It most assuredly does make a difference in what you see in your HMD.  I also have to say that I have experimented with all of the settings to get the best performance and visual quality possible with my system, and visibility range makes a big difference in the quality of the experience while, at the same time, having very little impact on performance.  I have mine set as high as it goes.  I tried setting it to its lowest setting, and found that it didn't yield a significant performance increase, but I found that I couldn't stand seeing aircraft sitting on the ground at Nellis suddenly materializing well-within normal visual range.  No need to turn it to the lowest setting, so I went with the highest.

Well could be that things changed through the updates. At the time of testing these were my findings for my system.

Due to the fact that the problem described in this thread was never addressed by the devs nor was anybody here apperarently able to solve it, I mostly quit the game, so I never followed up on this config. It's a shame really, but you can put all the budget into dynamics and systems as you want, if the engine sucks, it sucks. 

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

ASUS GeForce RTX3070 Dual | 1980MHz | 8GB GDDR6  

G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200-CL16 | 32GB   

Oculus Quest 2

F/A-18C Hornet | UH-1H Huey