When you just click with an aircraft

zcrazyx

So i have owned the Mig 15 for a long time as well as a lot of other aircraft in dcs, i have loved the mig 15 for the longest time but never seemed to be able to click with it while in a dogfight, i would be able to fly circles around human sabre pilots but would never be able to tag them. as for the sabre i would be able to hit things but usually end up in a stalemate.

My best dogfight against both ai and humans alike for the korean war era aircraft was a one on one against a guy in kirks, that fight lasted well over 20 minutes, we both managed to tag eachother, both returned home out of ammo and with slight damage, in my case i had to pull the gear release and lost my gunsight.

Now even again ai i had struggled in the MIG 15 so i shelved it for the longest time as finding anyone to fight against is rare and the ai are either too easy or far better then any human is, until today where i went on a dogfight solo mission where i managed to score hits on sabres, then i hopped into kirks where the ai is usually demon like in their handling of the aircraft.

I actually managed to down some aircraft, perhaps they were derping out or perhaps i actually clicked for once and managed to lead properly, energy fight and restrain myself long enough to not dump ammo into the sky. let me know what you guys think.

fyi, i use labels for vr as the rift isnt great for spotting anything at anywhere but point blank or just above the horizon.

• Like 4

Man my satisfaction with the mig 15 has only increased as of late, i think it must be all the ww2 props that i have flown that has increased my accuracy, trigger disiplin and capability, had some more nice pvp in korea 1952 server 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The AI is allways go in a slow Speed Turn Fighting, thats where the MIG is a little bit stronger with his better Climb Rate. But against a proper Flown F-86 in the most cases it is a Steelmate. Most F-86 Pilots will unlikley go in a close Dogfight and they can Engage/Disengage when they want. F-86 is faster without doing a Headstand at Mach 0,95 and can do high substain G Maneuvers without Blackout you are not able to follow or you have to tab allways the Speed Brake. MIG 15 nearly requires Teamwork or Surprise. 

Was able to secure one Kill in a Dogfight on the Korea Server on the Weekend but most cases was 15 Min of lurking around on top of each other.

• Like 2

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

• 1 month later...

6:24 got .. interesting.

Where did the AI learn to cheat?

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

The MiG-15 and F-86 have very similar performance, yet have distinct advantages/disadvantages and fly very differently. I find it easy to fly the F-86 whereas I have to get used to the MiG-15 if I haven't flown it regularly. The MiG-15's ability to climb while turning compared to the F-86 means that it can generally engage and disengage at will, too. With equal pilots, it is a close match. But if a MiG pilot knows how to use his superior specific excess power correctly at the right time, then the Sabre will never have a chance to land rounds, only the opportunity to make a mistake that gives the MiG-15 a shot. This was what F-86 pilots experienced in Korea when facing ace MiG pilots and lead to the F-104 being designed as a pure speed/energy fighter to have superior acceleration, speed, and vertical performance.

I enjoy flying both aircraft and love the contrast in their handling qualities and tactics despite only relatively small differences in performance.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9 hours ago, streakeagle said:

The MiG-15 and F-86 have very similar performance, yet have distinct advantages/disadvantages and fly very differently. I find it easy to fly the F-86 whereas I have to get used to the MiG-15 if I haven't flown it regularly. The MiG-15's ability to climb while turning compared to the F-86 means that it can generally engage and disengage at will, too. With equal pilots, it is a close match. But if a MiG pilot knows how to use his superior specific excess power correctly at the right time, then the Sabre will never have a chance to land rounds, only the opportunity to make a mistake that gives the MiG-15 a shot. This was what F-86 pilots experienced in Korea when facing ace MiG pilots and lead to the F-104 being designed as a pure speed/energy fighter to have superior acceleration, speed, and vertical performance.

I enjoy flying both aircraft and love the contrast in their handling qualities and tactics despite only relatively small differences in performance.

I enjoy both but i do prefer the mig overall in fights though there are some things worth noting for both aircraft.

The sabre has a full moving horizontal stabiliser allowing less stick force which IRL will allow the pilot to fight for longer with less strain. not to mention the cockpit set up is friendlier for longer flights, environmental control system being one feature. then there is weapons load out. bombs rockets and also a way better gunsight. radar guided while the mig 15 has effectively the K-14 from the Mustang.

Another thing with the sabre is that it can reach the higher speeds as the Mig 15 uses a standard tail as opposed to the moving one meaning at around mach 0.92 it starts to suffer from shockwave build up on the wings washing onto the tail meaning thus stalling it out. where as the sabre would get full elevator authority. I've heard the Sabre also has an aliaron system allowing higher speeds to be acheived while mantaining control. Though it seems like there may be an issue with it at the moment.

Pilot training is massive as well though which in the Korean war very much helped the victory rates. 

One thing i defo will say is that the mig requires a lot more trigger disciplin, less rounds, slower guns, waiting for the right moment. been playing MP a bit more with it in the korean server and most of my losses are due to the fuel tanks being hit in the wing and running out of fuel. Had some great close in dog fights that were hard fought, one of which we ended up both rtb, i run out of fuel and glided back and he was smokey (more then usual for a sabre).

• 3 weeks later...

Mig 15 wins against the F-86 at any altitude if you keep the fight as vertical as possible with vertical loops. The goal is to keep turns as tight as possible while keeping your speed up by preventing the mig from shuddering in the vertical turns, that bleeds off energy. Make sure your MiG 15 has full throttle in the climbing portion of the loop (compensate with early throttle imputs to make up for the lag). Once you reach the top of the circle cut throttle to half for the downward portion, and use the airbrake if you need it to bleed a bit more speed. Once you do this a 2-4 times you will end up behind the saber who will inevetably try to take you horizontal. Don't fall for it, keep yourself vertical as much as possible using high yo-yo manuvers to keep your energy up and limit the G's pulled. You will get snap shot solutions at this point, or the Sabre will dive away and disengage.

Edited by CrazyGman