MFG Crosswind COMBAT PEDALS and HYDRAULIC DAMPER MOD

hegykc

I developed combat style foot rests for MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, which allow for a much more precise 'heel on the floor' control. After 6 months of re-design and improvement, they now fit all kinds of different requests, high angles, low angles, high position, low position, wide or narrow... my testers didn't go easy on me.

They come with re-enforcement mounting plates, braking spring adjusters, new tension wheel, are adjustable in width and height, and even damper mounts for main axis and brake damping:

Front-45.jpg

Back-45.jpg

You can get them on my webshop for 75$:

https://www.replikagear.com/

Edited by hegykc

Looks amazing.  Purchased.  Bet I'm not your last.

Intel 8700K, delidded at 5.1 ghz, Asrock z370 Extreme4, 32gb DDR4 3200, MSI Ventus RTX 3080, triple 1440p Dell s2716dg screens, VKB Gunfighter Mk.I, Virpil M50-CM2 throttle, MFG Crosswind pedals.

Brilliant stuff

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Thanks guys. There is a thread on the forum, with development progress over the last 6 months. Myself and about 30 forum testers hit many dead ends searching for the best solution, until we narrowed it down to what worked best.

Me and Milan, the owner of MFG are good friends from the same small country. I'm trying to convince him he should have these injection molded and offered as stock option. We managed to implement damper mounts as stock, on his V3 pedals. But he is very busy making rudder pedals due to the current spike in demand. Until then, these will do. Funny thing is among my 30 testers, I was the one saying this is not a good idea, it'll never work like it should.

But now, I would never ever go back to no-damper and German style WWII pedals. These are just so much more precise.

I will sent out emails with tracking number to each of your paypal addresses.

Ordered. I am pretty sure that I need these pedals in my life.

To anyone else curious about the forum thread regarding the development process, here goes: 

It was awesome basically seeing the current-state product come to life with improvements over time to where it is now. Veeery looking forward to it.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:41 PM, Deep Slumber said:

Ordered. I am pretty sure that I need these pedals in my life.

To anyone else curious about the forum thread regarding the development process, here goes:

Thanks, forgot to link the thread 🙂 You can see they started as more realistic looking, imitating real life F-16, F-18 and F-14 pedals, as suggested by the testers themselves:

MFG-Combat-pedals.jpg

BUT, something you don't really consider with F-16, F-18, F-14 designs until  you get to use them. Then problems of the realistic looking 1:1 designs become painfully apparent:

1) About 75% of my testers reported toes falling into the F-16, F-18, F-14 cut-outs. (Real pilots wear heavy boots, not socks or bare skin)

2) Then another 30-50% reported flying barefoot so their feet get scratched up on the edges around the F-16, F-18, F-14 cut-outs.

3) Then you can't have height adjustment holes (as you can see final version has 12 adjustment bolt holes) because of the cut-outs. So another 50% reported those realistic looking pedals sit too high, and their knees hit the table when braking.

4) Further on, the realistic pedals are very vertical so you push forward when braking, and with stock brake spring strength, MFGs slide on the floor, or tilt to one side.

In the end, the realistic looking designs were way more troublesome then they were worth in eye-candy. They worked for 10% of people with simpits, and were troublesome for 90% of people flying on dekstops.

So we ended up with plain solid pedals, highly modular, that everyone can set up to their liking. Wide or narrow, high or low, vertical or horizontal. New brake force adjusters with 10% - 100% brake force adjustability. These are my personal unit, and while I can make myself any F-14, F-16, F-18 design I desire in 1:1, they were just too much of a hassle to use, so I ended up using the same, plain solid ones everyone else gets, just in special color combo 🙂

my-pedals.jpg

Edited by hegykc
  • Like 2

• hegykc changed the title to MFG Crosswind COMBAT PEDALS and HYDRAULIC DAMPER MOD
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey hegykc,

I received my order, thank you!

Do you have any idea what silicone oil I should use for the brake dampers?

Ryzen 5900X (Water), 64GB DDR4@3600CL16, RTX 3090 (Water), U4021QW, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswind, Reverb G2 V2

Many of us will experiment with different oils. I think the even the cheapest car engine oil will work ok. You just want a little damping, that's all.

Don't over-think the brake shocks, because the combat foot rests are a 100% upgrade. Main axis damper is another 100% upgrade. And the little brake shocks are maybe a 20% upgrade, plus you only use them while ground taxiing. So the focus should be on the first two, they are the stars of this package.

I was going to finish a youtube video guide last weekend, but got buried with orders, so I'll finish it this weekend.

Order placed. Most interested in the damper mod to stabilise the pedals for precise adjustment. The website has no options for colours, is the default black?

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

I ordered this kit the first day hegykc posted it for sale---and it arrived here in Texas, USA today.  Must say it is really nice.  The pedal pads feel quite solid, with the reinforcement plates bolted to the pads preventing any flex.  The height and spacing adjustments are very straightforward, and I found putting the pads at the uppermost position (bottom two rows of holes) makes for ideal ball-of-foot control.

I've installed the damper mount with an ebay damper, and it truly eliminates the sensation of pushing on a screen-door spring and gives it a controlled, hydraulic feel.  Still going to do some experimenting with spring tension settings, cam selection, and damper setting.  But feels good out of the box.

An undersold part of the kit is the nifty replacement spring tension knob.  It makes tuning the spring tension MUCH easier, especially from the cockpit seat.

Haven't tried out the alternative brake tension brackets, or the mounting kit for brake dampers.  Those are really just bonus, in my view---as the feature attractions are the pads and the damper mod.  

This is a nice kit at a reasonable price.  Really impressed.  Thanks hegykc.

Edited by manashttu

Intel 8700K, delidded at 5.1 ghz, Asrock z370 Extreme4, 32gb DDR4 3200, MSI Ventus RTX 3080, triple 1440p Dell s2716dg screens, VKB Gunfighter Mk.I, Virpil M50-CM2 throttle, MFG Crosswind pedals.

• 2 weeks later...

Combat Pedals arrived today - no instructions as to how to install the new brake arm whilst retaining the spring tension. Very disappointed and not at all what I was expecting

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Great thanks

I have succesfully installed the pedals and really pleased with them. I found it necessary to recalibrate the brakes with the application from MFG Crosswind site before i could use them. I have not installed the dampers yet - only becuase they have not arrived yet.

A question? What is the best position to use them at, I have them near vertical and find that the srat has to nbe a long way back. Any tips and recommendations

A questio? Do the small dampers fitted to the brakes need to be charged with oil, or do they just use air damping? Mine have not arrived yet and just want to be prepared

An answer. I did not expect that these would make as much difference as they have - I was really looking for the damper option, but the control with ball of the foot and the toes is much easier than the standard Bf-109 arrangement - as cool as that may look. I ahve installed castors with brakes to my office chair so that it may be locked in position to allow for more accurate control, these are a small add on cost from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072PS8ZKG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the feedback. As a sim pilot first, and manufacturer second, I look for both good and bad. The only goal here is improving our hobby.

1 hour ago, Lynchsl62 said:

What is the best position to use them at, I have them near vertical and find that the seat has to be a long way back. Any tips and recommendations

Yes, if you can, put the seat to it's lowest position and as far back as you can. To have your feet as horizontal as possible. That is how you sit in a real plane. Like a race car, or formula F1. And also have the combat pedals as vertical as you can. Of course depending on your seat and table, you might not be able to get 100% vertical pedals, or 100% low seat, so just try to get as close to it as you can. That's why they are adjustable.

Do the small dampers fitted to the brakes need to be charged with oil?

Yes. There are oils specifically for these RC dampers, but any thick machine oil will do. I will put car engine oil in mine. BUT, do not expect miracles with the brake shocks. I only put the option in because I could, why not. But it's only going to be a 10% or 20% improvement for brakes.

The combat pedals, and main axis damper are the real deal here. For me combat pedals improved my MFGs by 100%. And the main axis damper even better, 200% for me. I don't even want to fly anymore if controls don't have that hydraulic damping feel.

I did not expect that these would make as much difference as they have - I was really looking for the damper option, but the control with ball of the foot and the toes is much easier than the standard Bf-109 arrangement - as cool as that may look.

I had several customers who only fly Bf-109 with German style rudder foot rests, so they only wanted to buy the axis damper kit, no US style combat pedals. But I sent them the full package, and challenged them to put them on and prove me wrong. All of them now fly with my US style combat pedals.

That is because, even in German planes, the rudder foot rests are vertical, and Bf-109 seat is so low, almost like you are in a F1 formula car. This "shoe-style" foot rest that is on stock MFGs where you swing your entire legs front-back does not exist in any real aircraft, US nor German. And is just horrible for precision.

If you don't have the main axis damper yet, put it on, you will not regret it. (you might have to get a free replacement bracket for the main axis damper from me, because some of the first customers received the wrong one, that can be over-tightened to where the damper cannot freely move. In that case, a quick email and replacement will be on the way)

I have installed castors with brakes to my office chair

Yes, and absolute must, if you want to be able to sit low and far back, for best precision and control.

Edited by hegykc

On 2/12/2021 at 7:51 PM, Lynchsl62 said:

questio? Do the small dampers fitted to the brakes need to be charged with oil, or do they just use air damping? Mine have not arrived yet and just want to be prepared

Silicone oil ~10ml. I bought almost 100ml, because I didn't know how much they would take.

Ryzen 5900X (Water), 64GB DDR4@3600CL16, RTX 3090 (Water), U4021QW, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswind, Reverb G2 V2

I am thinking about ordering a set. First, does this look like the correct damper? The only option for shipping on the Ali link is $130 to my address. Needless to say, I will order one elsewhere. https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Adjustable-Universal-Steering-Stabilizer/dp/B075FSSSD9/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle%2Bdamper&qid=1613958492&sprefix=motoecycle%2Bdam&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1

Also, I am debating whether I would order the brake dampers. What do they do exactly? I don't know about fighter jets, but I know from flying small aircraft, the pressure gets greater the more you press on the pedal. Is that what this does, or does it so something else?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, PhoenixRising said:

I am thinking about ordering a set. First, does this look like the correct damper? The only option for shipping on the Ali link is $130 to my address. Needless to say, I will order one elsewhere. https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Adjustable-Universal-Steering-Stabilizer/dp/B075FSSSD9/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle%2Bdamper&qid=1613958492&sprefix=motoecycle%2Bdam&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1

Also, I am debating whether I would order the brake dampers. What do they do exactly? I don't know about fighter jets, but I know from flying small aircraft, the pressure gets greater the more you press on the pedal. Is that what this does, or does it so something else?

Thanks!

Yes that's the correct damper. 35$ is the standard price outside Aliexpress.

For the brake shocks, only if you want that extra bit smoothness. Not a huge improvement over stock brakes. 20% maybe, while combat pedals and axis damper are a 100% improvement.

You also have to fill the shocks with oil. So, brake shocks only for those that want every last bit of performance out of their MFGs, and don't mind the $$ and the work.