Illustrated HOTAS Kneeboard

So I can remember what I'm doing when I jump between planes, especially with the A-10, I made a bunch of illustrated quick reference guides for HOTAS commands for the modules I own. I figured I'd share them in case others can find some use for them as well. 

You can download them all here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3314231/

While I was at it, I also uploaded my kneeboard checklists for people too: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3314229/

Apologies if you see this post in multiple places.

A-10C2 HOTAS.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

If you follow the link for download, there are installation instructions, though it's pretty simple: Create a "Kneeboard" folder in your {User}\Saved Games\DCS folder, from there you can create specific subfolders for different planes, though you need to name them exactly right.

If you download from the User Files link I did all the folder creation for you already, and it'll include files for more than one plane too 😀

Bunny,

"If you download from the User Files link I did all the folder creation for you already, and it'll include files for more than one plane too?"

Sometimes it is hard to comprehend how big of an idiot that I can myself feel like.  I can't find the/which User Files that you are referring to.

Thank you for your patience.

Caldera

I've been flying The Enemy Within 3.0 lately which means getting a lot of cold start practice. I've made significant revisions to the A-10C checklist and updated the file, for anyone who's interested. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/28/2021 at 6:00 PM, Bunny Clark said:

I've updated the A-10C II kneeboard with the latest Open Beta changes to the CMS.

Thanks, been looking for a replacement for my old out of date reference chart! And having not flown the A10C-II much recently coming back to changed Coolie commands for HMCS and the CMS updatesI was a touch confused last night.

Thank you very, very much for this excellent HOTAS reference, Bunny. Super helpful.

🤩

One Question: Would it be possible to publish the files as .pdf with "real" text, too? I tried to print them, but as the text is converted to a pixel image, the result is very poor. I would assume that other users may be interested in a printer friendly version, too?

Edited by Hive

Nice one.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

On 3/27/2021 at 2:40 AM, Hive said:

One Question: Would it be possible to publish the files as .pdf with "real" text, too? 

Yup! I attached the PDF, but since you're not the only one to ask I also updated the download link to include a PDF as well. 

While I was at it I also made some tweaks to the kneeboards to update Hornet AZ/EL and CMS functions and reduce some ambiguity with forward and aft switch directions for many of the modules. 

HOTAS Kneeboards.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Appreciate your effort.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

Thanks for these. As someone who spends a few weeks in one aircraft and then goes back to another, trying to keep track of HOTAS set-ups can be challenging - and frustrating - so this is a very useful resource. I haven't tried it in earnest yet - just loaded a mission to confirm that they were in place.

I like the fact that you've included a graphical  representation of the button/switch too, and I'm sure that will be really helpful to users who are relatively new to their Thrustmaster Warthogs.

I've always thought it was a shame that DCS doesn't include a graphical representation of the stick and throttle in the controls configuration interface. Trying to remember button numbers is a bit of a challenge - particularly in VR.

2 hours ago, Magnate said:

As someone who spends a few weeks in one aircraft and then goes back to another, trying to keep track of HOTAS set-ups can be challenging

That is exactly why I created these for myself, then once I had figured I may as well share them for others too. 

I've always thought it was a shame that DCS doesn't include a graphical representation of the stick and throttle in the controls configuration interface. Trying to remember button numbers is a bit of a challenge - particularly in VR.

Yah, that'd be pretty cool, but also a bit labor intensive for every permutation of different controllers out there now. Even the simple fact that DCS will jump to the currently assigned function when you hit a button on your stick is a really nice feature, and one that far too few other games have. Trying to keep everything straight is exactly why I also made these: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309884/