Weight Board Operator

Jackjack171

Had a thought. It seems that weight matters in DCS only when going supersonic or dogfighting but not during carrier operations. I launched a bombcat with a pretty heavy load, still perfectly rotated. The catapults seem to get you airborne no matter what. IRL, I've seen an S-3 settle below deck because of an incorrect shot. 5 -wet Rhinos seem to struggle a bit too. But not in DCS. It would be cool to have a weight board operator as IRL. He shows the weight to the pilot and back to the ICCS or TSPO to confirm. It would be totally up to the pilot (you) to confirm or pump it up or downOIP.jfif. Also this could go along with the whole "Air boss" feature. IRL, the pilot has to give a weight chit to Flight Deck control and the shooters collect it there and do the calculations as far as end speed goes. This would also put the responsibility on us as the virtual pilots to make sure our weight is correct. 

Just spit balling here. 

Edited by Jackjack171
  • Like 8

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

• 2 weeks later...

+1 would be very nice to see this. It'd add some authenticity to the catapult hookup process.

• Like 3

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 4 weeks later...

+1!

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Are we to assume you want to add in maximum weight for landing on the wires too!

• Like 1

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

On 2/11/2021 at 4:21 AM, AegisFX said:

Are we to assume you want to add in maximum weight for landing on the wires too!

yes. I would like maximum landing weight for the wires. Why not? the more details the better. 

• Like 2

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

On 2/12/2021 at 8:20 AM, fagulha said:

yes. I would like maximum landing weight for the wires. Why not? the more details the better. 

The landing weight is set down below on each arresting gear engine IRL. That's probably a default thing in DCS and rightfully so. The pilot/aircrew is totally out of the loop on that one. The only way to know someone on the ship screwed up is that the arresting gear parts and the aircraft goes over the side IRL. So, the landing weight setting may not be needed.

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

My campaign checks for the landing weight on the Hornet, calculated from different parameters and it will warn the player if he landed overweight. It also goes into the player's landing logbook. It's a start I hope, as the pilots know their weight when they start the approach and there's a NATOPS specified max landing weight for this reason I suppose.

For the departure my idea was a popup message with what the pilot would see on the weight board, and he could respond through an F10 menu item: he'd need to select if their displayed weight is ok, lower or higher. I can't do it more graphically, can't influence the CAT shot quality with it, but it is something at least.

Opinions, suggestions are welcome 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 11:16 AM, Jagohu said:

My campaign checks for the landing weight on the Hornet, calculated from different parameters and it will warn the player if he landed overweight. It also goes into the player's landing logbook. It's a start I hope, as the pilots know their weight when they start the approach and there's a NATOPS specified max landing weight for this reason I suppose.

For the departure my idea was a popup message with what the pilot would see on the weight board, and he could respond through an F10 menu item: he'd need to select if their displayed weight is ok, lower or higher. I can't do it more graphically, can't influence the CAT shot quality with it, but it is something at least.

Opinions, suggestions are welcome 🙂

As a user-developed solution, this is pretty much the best it can get. I especially like the part about warning the pilot if they land overweight.

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

The launch weight board is a good idea... The value shown at the catapult could be pulled from the load you requested when configuring your aircraft in either ME or adjusted with the F-10 menu.  You could then vary the aircraft end speed (end of CAT stroke) by errors in actual weight and weight approved by the Pilot during CAT hookup.

There should also be a penalty for landing over Max-Trap weight... A little over - damage...  or a Lot over - cable break and/or hook-point separation and damage.

11 hours ago, Bonz said:

The launch weight board is a good idea... The value shown at the catapult could be pulled from the load you requested when configuring your aircraft in either ME or adjusted with the F-10 menu.  You could then vary the aircraft end speed (end of CAT stroke) by errors in actual weight and weight approved by the Pilot during CAT hookup.

There should also be a penalty for landing over Max-Trap weight... A little over - damage...  or a Lot over - cable break and/or hook-point separation and damage.

Haha, yea it'd be great if DCS allowed for all (or even some) of that 🙂 Forget about CAT shot strength manipulation or cable breaks... Damage could be done I guess, but I don't think it'd be realistic - it's not like you'd lose wings in such case, it's very likely just structural damage, which can't be seen from the outside. But the idea is good, too bad it's not possible for a 3rd party...

12 hours ago, Jagohu said:

My version:

Comments, suggestions, opinions are welcome 🙂

Very interesting, good work! I wish this could be tied to the actual cat shot power.

Consider making a tree structure, to avoid having to go through the whole process for every 1,000 lbs. That's going to take a while if you're heavy. Maybe something like three 1st level options, like 36,000 - 40,000 / 41,000 - 45,000 / 46,000 - 50,000. Then, you can select like you do right now, from the 2nd level options.

That said, I don't know how the actual exchange between the pilot and the WBO goes, but I expect that the latter has a ballpark already, more or less.

-

44 minutes ago, Harker said:

Very interesting, good work! I wish this could be tied to the actual cat shot power.

Consider making a tree structure, to avoid having to go through the whole process for every 1,000 lbs. That's going to take a while if you're heavy. Maybe something like three 1st level options, like 36,000 - 40,000 / 41,000 - 45,000 / 46,000 - 50,000. Then, you can select like you do right now, from the 2nd level options.

That said, I don't know how the actual exchange between the pilot and the WBO goes, but I expect that the latter has a ballpark already, more or less.

Thanks for the feedback!

IRL the pilot and the Weight Board Operator communicate with hand signals (day) or flashlight (night). The pilot can only signal "higher", "lower" or OK. This is the reasoning behind the current implementation.
After consulting with @Jackjack171, who did it IRL I will limit the max. deviation of the "proposed weight" to 2000 lbs, so it shouldn't take much to correct it. The aircraft's weight chit will be attached to the briefing.

Edited by Jagohu

20 hours ago, Jagohu said:

My version:

Comments, suggestions, opinions are welcome 🙂

Thank you for this! remarkable work 🙂

Keep up.

Best regards,

F.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jagohu said:

Thanks for the feedback!

IRL the pilot and the Weight Board Operator communicate with hand signals (day) or flashlight (night). The pilot can only signal "higher", "lower" or OK. This is the reasoning behind the current implementation.
After consulting with @Jackjack171, who did it IRL I will limit the max. deviation of the "proposed weight" to 2000 lbs, so it shouldn't take much to correct it. The aircraft's weight chit will be attached to the briefing.

Excellent, if it's realistic like that, then that's how it should stay.

Did you do this with a lua script or via the ME?

-

5 hours ago, Harker said:

Excellent, if it's realistic like that, then that's how it should stay.

Did you do this with a lua script or via the ME?

The launchbar down argument comes from the ME, but the rest is LUA.
I'm not a fan of doing stuff from the ME if I can avoid it 🙂