Do you want a VR lookback view?

Terry Dactil

I was getting exactly that and it was a sync problem between WMR and SteamVR. Try this..

Go back to the WMR cliff house and bring up a desktop window. On the desktop you should see the WMR portal window. From there bring up "setup room boundary" and select Seating/standing. Then with the headset still on make sure you're sitting exactly where you'll be to fly DCS and allow the seating/standing setup to complete.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

• 2 weeks later...

Great app thanks but is it possible to make the deactivation angle disabled under the autorotation section and have the view reset buy just using the "Reset Button". I have tried setting the deactivation angle to 1 or 0 but this doesn't have the desired effect. Else this is a must have for DCS VR, my neck thanks you 🙂

Not really sure what you are asking for.? But doesn’t the hold button do that?

I set my activation angle to 85, my deactivate to 40 and my rot to 45

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Ill try your settings but i find that the deactivation kind of makes the view jump too much especially when you are dogfighting, but maybe my settings are just wrong.

I dont really want to rely on button presses hence the autorotation is excellent except for the issue of when i hit that deactivation range the bandit ends up in a different spot. So my thinking is that the autorotate view activated when i look back but when i transition to looking forward again I don't have to rely on the auto deactivation as it is not a very smooth transition. I will however try different settings to see if i can get around this.

YES! 

Lookback LEFT and Lookback RIGHT please. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Null

Edited by speed-of-heat
Null

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I do not get these sort of cheats when reality is starting to become a truth for us simmers.

Perhaps it is a gamers thing, something I am very happy to say goodbye to.

For some reason I like it hard, I do not know why, I just like to work the weapon.... it just feels more right to me as I swing my skull in the VR.

My idea of cheating is to create a real pit with real grab handles to aid pulling my fat arse around to check my six.

Its me isn't it.... I am a wrong one.

Never would I install this sh£t on my system!

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

8 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

I do not get these sort of cheats when reality is starting to become a truth for us simmers.

For some reason I like it hard, I do not know why, I just like to work the weapon.... it just feels more right to me as I swing my skull in the VR.

My idea of cheating is to create a real pit with real grab handles to aid pulling my fat arse around to check my six.

If used with the 'autorotation' mode, and used only to gain 20 or so degrees to your view looking over your shoulder, it really isn't "cheating". It's just adding some fov back from what is lost with current gen poor fov headsets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

No you aren't the only one.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 3/12/2021 at 3:11 AM, Rogue Trooper said:

I made this "sh£t" because VR in multiplayer made my neck hurt really bad. This tool solved that for me.

Probably would not have written it when I would only play SP.

Are you also not using zoom?

P.S.: The latest version (currently v2.05) can always be found here: VRNS Releases 😀

Description here: VRNeckSafer

Edited by NobiWan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@NobiWanThanks for the tool (anyone can choose to use or not use a tool, and there a variety of reasons for using it realism and compensating for physical disability, or lack of flexibility are just three positive advantages that i can think of), its people like you who do stuff for the good of the community as a whole that deserve our respect, thanks again and keep up the good work!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

@NobiWanThanks for the tool (anyone can choose to use or not use a tool, and there a variety of reasons for using it realism and compensating for physical disability, or lack of flexibility are just three positive advantages that i can think of), its people like you who do stuff for the good of the community as a whole that deserve our respect, thanks again and keep up the good work!

I wholeheartedly second that @NobiWan . I suffered a whiplash injury many years ago and simply cannot get my head far enough around, even if I twist in my chair, to get the sweet spot in my G2 towards my six without a lot of pain (and I don't even have a fat arse ;). Your Necksafer is an absolute life saver mate.

Didn't realise you were up to v2.05, I'll check it out. Thanks again.

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

+1 to that!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 10:32 AM, Roller25 said:

If used with the 'autorotation' mode, and used only to gain 20 or so degrees to your view looking over your shoulder, it really isn't "cheating". It's just adding some fov back from what is lost with current gen poor fov headsets.

Yeah, I cannot think of a good argument against this mod when it comes to the FOV limit when looking back.

My Reverb G2 FOV is a true limitation that I do not have in real life.

How does this mod engage the further rear view? 

Is it linear when you reach a specific point of movement.... can this be tuned? 

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

At least with the G2 and F14 I feel looking back is very natural so personally I don't need one. I haven't spent much time in DCS in VR but I do wonder whether I should be worried about twisting my head in a certain way so that I don't cause neck strain, perhaps you guys with neck injuries know. I would get stiff back when playing with TrackIR for extended time, I guess due to the fact that I needed to make very accurate head movements? VR might actually be better for the neck than TrackIR for me.

On 3/12/2021 at 4:11 AM, Rogue Trooper said:

You are not alone. 

That is what I enjoy in VR as I am physically required to look back.

In hornet I can turn my head in Rift S and see to my 7/5 positions without moving back or ass, I can't see further because the ejection seat blocks my line of sight.

I need to shift my weight and turn slightly my back to get to see opposite side of vertical stabilizer. So I can perfectly see between them without problems if wanted, but it requires other than just turn my head like normally.

It is easy to notice too that when I have lazy days, I don't even look much to 9/3 line, even when it is as simple as just look left and right. And you will notice that it is you who is problem and not the VR.

I had once stretched my back badly and couldn't turn my head to right more than to 1'clock position. It was dangerous to drive a car as I couldn't even check my right side.

It meant that I couldn't do so in VR either (and didn't even dare to use). 

Visit to chiropractor and all was fine again, just avoiding few days doing anything heavy so muscles gets back to normal from tensed position.

I totally get that some people might have physical condition that they can not turn their heads well or while upper body. They need assistance because their physical condition.

But in the world there is this attitude that even young people have, they do not care to look around. They are lazy. They don't even roll their eyes to look around. And you see them on road and they don't even have effort to look where they drive or how they park etc. They walk in to stores without even looking around and don't know how to move in crowded places as they do not look around. Their situational awareness is 0.

And that is in simulators as well, they do not dare to move their heads as they just want to press button to look a side or rear. 

And people use wrong chairs as well. Such ones that makes difficult to look around. A gaming chair is not designed for it. A car chair is neither, what now just to check blind spot, but people don't set car seats properly to support it.

Before I sit in a flight chair, I stretch little bit. You get good feeling and condition to be able easily look around and don't hurt yourself suddenly.

But everyone by their own.... If someone thinks that it should be effortless to fly in DCS as flying a drone from comfy warm chair, so be it. But it is not real if looking six while pulling 9 G and tracking easily the target at your rear like no effects.

We have already really ease G effects and super capabilities. What makes dog fighting in DCS like drone fighting with automatic target tracking.

That is nice thing in Su-25 that you have excellent visibility to rear with mirrors.

In AV-8B Harrier the visibility is as well excellent to surrounding parts, only F-16 gets better from frontal hemisphere because there isn't anything front of you.

In A-10 I hate the engines as they block your view sometimes.

Hornet is annoying by chair....

In VR having to move your head, body etc makes far more value each aircraft differently as everyone of those has different limitations how well you can see outside and their flight characteristics change the means how much you need to look around.

I never go back to TrackIR to fly on display as it is just so wrong to look around so easily with just small head turns. 

What DCS needs is more proper camera control system that counts G forces better and forces view to be centered or supported etc. And in relaxed flight you would be more free to see and look around.

2 hours ago, tigger6 said:

At least with the G2 and F14 I feel looking back is very natural so personally I don't need one. I haven't spent much time in DCS in VR but I do wonder whether I should be worried about twisting my head in a certain way so that I don't cause neck strain, perhaps you guys with neck injuries know. I would get stiff back when playing with TrackIR for extended time, I guess due to the fact that I needed to make very accurate head movements? VR might actually be better for the neck than TrackIR for me.

Being stationary is not good for muscles. You get strain and muscles start to tense and lock, then you do a wrong movement and muscles can't support it and you can injure yourself.  Mobility is key.

Like sitting front of the computer and staring monitor is bad. Similar way is to sit and read book on table, your neck is all the time supporting head in bad position. Like try holding a 1 kg handweight for 15 minutes straight to side. After a minute or two it starts to feel like it weights more and more.

Same thing is in bed reading etc.

Your head weights about 4-5 kg, and whole back needs to support it. It starts from position of palvis how you are seated and legs at what angle they are, all the way to the head.

Bad chair, bad table height, bad angle etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Summary - you are physically disabled by the FOV in the headset...  you can chose to compensate for that... if you like but if you want it "realistic"  you need to compensate for the effects of the simulation .  

- Your range of spinal motion is unchanged and gives you the same result, albeit that most office chairs are designed with keeping your back stabilised and the same is true of gaming chairs.  

- Human field of vision an average of a 170 degrees

- G2 field of vision 114 degrees

You have to "pull yourself round" another lets call it 25 degrees than you would in the real world... if you want to simulate that crack on (literally), you still have to turn, though i imagine you could turn it into something more like track IR if you needed it because for example you had a spinal injury... but the HMD literally makes your FOV worse as a disablement.

Edited by speed-of-heat

So Im getting older... its tough.  

Comfort is required for long sessions which I always do. 

While I love realism, I also love the comfort and simplicity of my Swiveling Chair with VR.  

My HOTAS is mounted to the chair along with a (wireless) mouse pad so my controls turn with me. 

it is rare that I swivel around to look back but it is just too easy to painlessly check 6 and maintain all controls. If that is considered a cheat then so be it...

Even though my fitness is good without disabilities, I earned that right when I hit 69. 😝 

And thanks to the Universal Shaders Mod...I can see clearly now... the “Fog” has been lifted. 

<S>

Edited by MegOhm_SD
  • Like 3

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I just added what amounts to a “lazy susan” bearing under my seat. Gives me just enough hip swivel to make up for the lost peripheral vision and flexibility of age yet still feels more real to me. I am of the camp that the whole sim is a compromise so if it works for you, do it. 
Haven’t flown in months tho. Grew tired of all the patches and reconfiguring so shut down until 2.7 is out. Oh and waiting for 3090 availability. 
Excitedly awaiting release!   

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

• 3 weeks later...

Do I get the feeling that the game as standard since 2.7 is looking further to the 6?

I certainly have not gotten fitter or lost weight, but I can look back along the rear of my harriers left or right spine a lot easier and a little more more than I used too be able too.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

It is interesting how you find more and more the physical appreciation of the work load required to look to 6 IRL.

soooo many more vid clips in DCS showing checking the work done to check 6.

As above, does anyone notice as standard how you can look further back along the airframes spine..... possibly perfect?

How does this Mod manifest itself, is it towards the end of looking back to 6 or is it progressive across the full range of head movement.

I got an Apache inbound, head swing to slaved 30mm cannon accuracy will be very important to 110 degrees... it is important.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

7 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

It is interesting how you find more and more the physical appreciation of the work load required to look to 6 IRL.

soooo many more vid clips in DCS showing checking the work done to check 6.

As above, does anyone notice as standard how you can look further back along the airframes spine..... possibly perfect?

How does this Mod manifest itself, is it towards the end of looking back to 6 or is it progressive across the full range of head movement.

I got an Apache inbound, head swing to slaved 30mm cannon accuracy will be very important to 110 degrees... it is important.

It's highly configurable. At its simplest you set an angle at which you want it to snap back an additional x degrees, and also the angle at which you want it to snap back those x degrees. That's how I use it - I have the snap back of 25 degrees set to happen at 105 degrees, then the snap back set when I turn back through 85 degrees.

You can however set up multiple snap and snap back points and angles to give you a more progressive experience. Must admit I haven't tried that.

You can also choose not to set an automatic snap angle at all, and instead (,or also), assign the snap left and right functions to Hotas buttons. That actually really helps as I struggle to turn my old neck down to get the sweet spot over controls at the back of the side consoles.