Do you want a VR lookback view?

Terry Dactil

Hiya @NobiWan, I wanted to thank you for your work on VR NeckSafer.

This software is amazing (when it works) 🙂  Strangely, I've only had one successful attempt at being able to use the software.

Every time since, I have been unable to use software as it is intended.

VR NeckSafer Startup, Setup, and Troubleshooting Process:

I use a SteamVR setup HMD utilizing two SteamVR 2.0 Base Stations (not windows mixed reality) and my startup process is as follows:

1.) SteamVR (Normal and Beta) calibrated to be seated only (ie,. In SteamVR I am located directly over the middle of the VR space, and everything (height, position, rotation) are perfectly centered

2.) I completely close SteamVR and every associated program with it buy exiting AND also verifying via Process Lasso.

3.) I run VR NeckSafer (2.07) as admin and as a result, SteamVR is initialized and loaded. (Again, Position in VR space (height, position, rotation) are perfectly centered.

4.) I launch DCS (Open Beta Standalone... ((Not the Steam Version))

5.) Once in DCS, I goto (any instant action scenario that places me in any cockpit in any aircraft on the ground with the engine off)

6.) Once in the cockpit of any aircraft sitting on the ground, I ALT-TAB to VR NeckSafer and perform the following:
      6a) Options-> Game Mode--> Forced Seating

6b) Options -> Position Compensation --> In Seated Mode

6c) In the Calibration section of the main screen, I click on the "Set Reset Button" and then assign the same button that I use to "Recenter VR Headset" in DCS's UI Layer

6d) I do see that the VRNeckSafer.cfg file is created in the same directory of the VRNeckSafer.exe (just to verify that it is working)

7.) I ALT-TAB (or) click back into the DCS Window (DCS Window is now IN focus)
     7a) I click my Recenter VR Headset button (which is also the same button assigned to the VR NeckSafer "Reset button")

7b) The VR View in DCS is reset to center

8.) The VR NeckSafer Application window (Upper Top Left) shows "VRNS (0 deg)" in Black (not Grey) colored font
     8a) The VR NeckSafer Application window, Calibration section, "HMD Yaw:" information shows 0 (or +/- 1 degree) (ie,. centered and aligned properly with my DCS VR centered      

position)

9.) I do NOT assign any buttons to the Manual Rotation

10.) I DO click on the Auto Rotation "Enable" checkbox then delete all Rows of ACT, DE, ROT, L/R, FWD until only 1 Row of ACT, DE, ROT, L/R, FWD values remain.
       10a) I change the values in the single remaining row to: 100, 45, 35, 10, 0

11.) I switch back to DCS (DCS Window now in focus) and Once again, "Recenter VR Headset" by pushing the assigned button that is the same for both DCS and VRNeckSafer

11a) As I press the Recenter VR Headset / Reset Button, the VRNeckSafer Application button (seen in the background and behind the DCS main window does Flash Black)

11b) The DCS window cockpit view once again is centered.

12.) I turn my head left or right to the 100 degree trigger point and the VR view places my VR view at 35 degrees aft of 100 BUT.. I am now Below the aircraft and at about 1 foot above the ground.
      12a) Turning head left or right does trigger the auto rotation view BUT I am still below the aircraft and now the HMD Yaw: = approximately negative (-130) to (-178) degrees
      12b) Pressing the Recenter VR Headset / Reset Button RESETS the HMD YAW to the new (inappropriate -130 to -178 degree LOW and rearward facing VR View)

12c) Pressing the Recenter VR Headset / Reset Button MULTIPLE Times (in quick succession) may rarely return the VR view to the proper COCKPIT VR View facing forward.. This

may occur once out of 100 presses of the Recent VR Headset / reset button.

13.) Disabling the Auto Rotation "Enable" Button allows me to Recenter my VR Headset and properly return to the Cockpit VR view facing forward.

13a) This obviously disables the software from performing any Auto Rotation feature

13b) Re-Enabling the Auto Rotation feature and performing any head movement causes the same exact problem that occured in Step 12 through 12b

If you'd like for me to provide any SteamVR data, I can do that if it would help you. For everyone else, if anyone has any tips, ideas, or other solutions known please help 🙂

Thanks!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 7:44 AM, ShaunX said:

It's highly configurable. At its simplest you set an angle at which you want it to snap back an additional x degrees, and also the angle at which you want it to snap back those x degrees. That's how I use it - I have the snap back of 25 degrees set to happen at 105 degrees, then the snap back set when I turn back through 85 degrees.

You can however set up multiple snap and snap back points and angles to give you a more progressive experience. Must admit I haven't tried that.

You can also choose not to set an automatic snap angle at all, and instead (,or also), assign the snap left and right functions to Hotas buttons. That actually really helps as I struggle to turn my old neck down to get the sweet spot over controls at the back of the side consoles.

Thanks ShaunX,

Yeah, I have a lot to look at with VR DCS. 

I think the time is coming to book 2 weeks off work and just concentrate on DCS as I am seriously falling behind in the VR world you guys are living.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 7 months later...