Sharing mark points via datalink?

evilnate

Look like the official response is moving this question to wish list and changing title to “would not be accurate”.

Real life hornet drivers share non briefed locations via grid coordinates over the radio and manually input on UFC?

As always, its a misunderstanding of the exact wording I think.

Reading the Hornet feature Roudmap, I think that you cant share a markpoint, but you would share the current designated target to a wingman.

On 6/2/2020 at 5:16 PM, Kate Perederko said:
  • Flight member TGT ground target SA page symbol missing [WIP]

• Thanks 1

image.png

Thanks de.impact.

Perhaps a pilot can target designate a point on the ground, have the wingmen locate that point and create a mark point at that position. It would be great if wingmen could see others shared designated targets with HMD.

4 hours ago, evilnate said:

Thanks de.impact.

Perhaps a pilot can target designate a point on the ground, have the wingmen locate that point and create a mark point at that position. It would be great if wingmen could see others shared designated targets with HMD.

Most things are already pre loaded into the jet IRL. Why would you need to create a markpoint over a target of one of your buddies?

18 hours ago, Phantom_Mark said:

If you are on a CAS mission and you come across a developing battlefield with new targets of opportunity ?

Funny you mention that, in a CAS situation the JTAC would use a special piece of equipment to send a VMF message to the jet. This VMF message will be read by the jet and displayed on the CAS page.

This CAS page is a huge part of the modern hornet, but I don't think we are due to get it (out of timeframe or something).

The catch is that its JTAC to Aircraft or Aircraft to Aircraft as relay, it couldn't really be used to share targets between wingmen. However, there are many ways for a wingman to share a target. Most obvious of which is a visual talk on:

'Call contact on the large triangular wood block. Call contact on the building south of the southern tip of the wood block next to the north-south road. Halfway towards the road from the house is your target.'

The other option is of course, coordinates. Lead can read out 2 letters and 6 numbers and have wingman looking in the same 100x100m area.

• Like 2

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

19 hours ago, Phantom_Mark said:

If you are on a CAS mission and you come across a developing battlefield with new targets of opportunity ?

18 hours ago, evilnate said:

This.

To do this, you don't NEED the ability to place a markpoint (of all things) on lead's target. There are other, more useful ways to do it in DCS. 

Also, I would not count on that system alone in a dynamic CAS situation. You need to know that your sensors point at the correct target.

2 hours ago, BarTzi said:

To do this, you don't NEED the ability to place a markpoint (of all things) on lead's target. There are other, more useful ways to do it in DCS. 

Also, I would not count on that system alone in a dynamic CAS situation. You need to know that your sensors point at the correct target.

I would put a Mark Point on my own sensor and then share that with my wingman, putting mark points on his sensors directly would just be weird..... ??? unless I am misunderstanding you ?

3 hours ago, Swiftwin9s said:

Funny you mention that, in a CAS situation the JTAC would use a special piece of equipment to send a VMF message to the jet. This VMF message will be read by the jet and displayed on the CAS page.

This CAS page is a huge part of the modern hornet, but I don't think we are due to get it (out of timeframe or something).

The catch is that its JTAC to Aircraft or Aircraft to Aircraft as relay, it couldn't really be used to share targets between wingmen. However, there are many ways for a wingman to share a target. Most obvious of which is a visual talk on:

'Call contact on the large triangular wood block. Call contact on the building south of the southern tip of the wood block next to the north-south road. Halfway towards the road from the house is your target.'

The other option is of course, coordinates. Lead can read out 2 letters and 6 numbers and have wingman looking in the same 100x100m area.

Yep, exactly the same way we did it on the ground when directing anything on to anything on the battlefield for targeting purposes, SOP's, I wasn't sure if the Hornet had the ability to share directly over the network tho.......was merely talking in "principle" only 😄

3 minutes ago, Phantom_Mark said:

I would put a Mark Point on my own sensor and then share that with my wingman, putting mark points on his sensors directly would just be weird..... ??? unless I am misunderstanding you ?

Yep, exactly the same way we did it on the ground when directing anything on to anything on the battlefield for targeting purposes, SOP's, I wasn't sure if the Hornet had the ability to share directly over the network tho.......was merely talking in "principle" only 😄

They yeah, exactly. Hornet can't generate its own CAS briefs, iirc it just retransmits ones its received from the JTAC.

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2